Application deadline 4 months ago: Monday 1 Aug 2022 at 00:00 UTCOpen application form
This is a UNV International Specialist contract. This kind of contract is known as International UN Volunteer. It is normally internationally recruited only. More about UNV International Specialist contracts.
Assignment is renewable on an annual basis (1 July - 30 June) up to a maximum of 4 years. Contract renewals are granted based on Mission mandate, availability of budget, operational necessity and satisfactory performance.
Duty station can change in the course of an assignment based on operational necessity; UN Volunteers may be required to work anywhere in the area of operations of the host organization, including in remote locations.
Under the direct supervision of the Regional Engineer, or the Engineering Regional Support Office, the UN Volunteer Field Engineer is responsible for the following duties:
- Structural & Building design of medium size structures, such as buildings, offices, retaining walls, warehouses.
- Identification of the requirements at the level of the prefectures in his area of operations, in collaboration with the local authorities, in support to the local elections.
- Dealing with Draftsmen, including preparation of clear and concise sketches to enable the preparation of drawings on AUTOCAD.
- Preparation of Bill of Quantities (BoQs), Gantt Charts (Microsoft Project).
- Drafting of specifications for civil engineering works.
- Knowledge of different types of construction contracts and contract administration.
- On-site management and administration of contractors, including interacting with Procurement, Asset Management, and other units and sections as required.
- Track project costs and prepare reports accordingly.
- Prepare weekly and monthly reports.
- Supervise on-going projects and site management from the onset of a project till completion and prepare all required handing over documents and data.
- Provide engineering solutions on site for arising problems.
- Prepare site reports and materials take off quantities, as well as verification on site for the
- quantity of works already performed, whether by its own staff or contractors.
- Implement Quality control and assurance during the course of implementation of the daily works, with emphasize on safety at the working sites.
- Liaise with various units within the Engineering section and sections within Integrated Support Services (ISS) to ensure timely completion of projects.
- Raise requisitions through the proper channels.
- Perform any other duties related to the above as assigned by the Chief Engineer of any delegated responsible,
- Lastly, when working with (including supervising) national staff or (non-)governmental counterparts, the incumbent is strongly encouraged to set aside dedicated time for training, coaching, mentoring and capacity development.
• Reliable and timely management of operational plans, including calculations, projects, repairs, designs in accordance with UN rules and regulations are provided. • Projects completed in a timely manner. • Site reports and materials take off quantities, as well as verification on site for the quantity of works already performed, whether by its own staff or contractors are prepared. • Weekly and monthly reports submitted on time. • Capacity Development documented.
• Integrity and professionalism: demonstrated expertise in area of specialty and ability to apply good judgment; ability to work independently under established procedures in a politically sensitive environment, while exercising discretion, impartiality and neutrality; ability to manage information objectively, accurately and confidentially; responsive and client-oriented. • Accountability: mature and responsible; ability to operate in compliance with organizational rules and regulations. • Planning and organizing: effective organizational and problem-solving skills and ability to manage a large volume of work in an efficient and timely manner; ability to establish priorities and to plan, coordinate and monitor (own) work; ability to work under pressure, with conflicting deadlines, and to handle multiple concurrent projects/activities. • Teamwork and respect for diversity: ability to establish and maintain effective partnerships and harmonious working relations in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity and gender; • Communication: proven interpersonal skills; good spoken and written communication skills, including ability to prepare clear and concise reports; ability to communicate and empathize with staff (including national staff), military personnel, volunteers, counterparts and local interlocutors coming from diverse backgrounds; capacity to transfer information and knowledge to a wide range of different target groups; • Flexibility, adaptability, and ability and willingness to operate independently in austere, remote and potentially hazardous environments for protracted periods, involving physical hardship and little comfort, and including possible extensive travel within area of operations as may be necessary; • Genuine commitment towards the principles of voluntary engagement, which includes solidarity, compassion, reciprocity and self-reliance; and commitment towards the UN core values.
structural design, drafting and detailing of buildings, preparation of contract documentation and technical specifications.
The incumbent must be a dynamic, multi-functional person, who supports MINUSCA with professionalism, dedication and client orientation. The following qualifications are required:
- Must possess the abilities and aptitudes to perform each duty proficiently; must have excellent understanding of building design standards, specifications and other related requirements, including ability to prepare construction documents; must have excellent understanding of construction management and practices; must possess working knowledge of national and international design standards and other existing regulatory requirements; ability to create or design documents and reports for specific tasks with high standard of accuracy, completeness and efficiency; ability to quickly grasp new techniques; have sound knowledge about construction materials and their tests;
- Good PC-based computer skills, including MicroSoft applications (in particular Word, Excel, MS Projects, and PowerPoint) and other relevant software packages; knowledge and practicing In Auto-CAD is an advantage; scheduling software, mapping, and other engineering design software; knowledge of UMOJA Inventory Management System is also an advantage.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including ability to draft reports in concise manner.
- Have affinity with or interest in humanitarian relief, post-conflict situations, volunteerism as a mechanism for durable development, and the UN System.
Comme il s'agit d'une affectation nationale de Volontaire des Nations Unies, le/la Volontaire des Na-tions Unies sera chargé(e) d'organiser son propre logement et d'autres biens essentiels.