Program Officer (Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Accessibility (DEIA) Advisor) – FL-0343-02-BS02 (U.S. Citizens only)
Application deadline 3 days ago: Thursday 21 Sep 2023 at 12:00 UTCOpen application form
Agency: U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) Organization: Bureau for Policy, Planning, and Learning (PPL) Location of Position: Washington, DC Open Period: September 7, 2023 – September 21, 2023 Appointment Type: This is an excepted service, a time-limited appointment that is not to exceed five years. Salary: (USD) $126,164 – 183,500 (includes Washington, DC locality pay) Number of Vacancies: One
PPL invites all qualified candidates to apply for an exciting new position. The Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Accessibility (DEIA) Advisor will support the Bureau’s robust DEIA agenda across all aspects of workforce planning, organizational development, and the program cycle. This exciting position is a great opportunity to work with individuals and teams that are creating policies, guidance, and tools that impact the entire Agency. We look forward to receiving your application!
Description of Organization: PPL collaborates across the Agency to elevate USAID thought leadership, shape U.S. Government and international development policy and practice, and challenge ourselves, the Agency, and our partners to achieve sustainable development outcomes.
PPL supports USAID by:
- Elevating USAID’s policy role in the interagency and development community by establishing and advancing evidence-based development and humanitarian policy and strategic priorities;
- Collaborating with Bureaus and Missions to integrate USAID policy priorities and best development practice into strategies, initiatives and programs with partner countries and development stakeholder;
- Strengthening Agency capacity to continually improve policy and programming through collaboration, evaluation, innovation, learning, and adaptation;
- Leading strategic engagement and communications with key external partners and stakeholders to collectively achieve U.S. development policy and program objectives; and
- Cultivating an inclusive, supportive culture in PPL that reflects diversity, promotes equity, and empowers staff at every level to advance the work of the Bureau.
Located in the PPL Program Office, the DEIA Advisor will support PPL’s core values across all of the aforementioned duties of the Bureau. PPL seeks to model inclusion, empowerment, and transparency, through our engagement with each other, the Program officer community and Mission staff we support to advance USAID’s vision. PPL was one of the first Bureaus to launch a DEIA committee, which continues to be a very active group that works to promote a dynamic work environment that enables all staff to successfully contribute to the Bureau’s objectives, and foster a Bureau culture of belonging based on trust, respect, and equity through: improved policies and practices; use of evidence, data and analysis; increased education and awareness; and proactive communications, engagement, and outreach.
Description of Position:
- Serve as the PPL DEIA Advisor responsible for implementing USAID’s DEIA Strategic Plan and other DEIA goals and initiatives within the Bureau, in collaboration with key Agency stakeholders including the Office of the Chief Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Accessibility Officer (A/AID/DEIA), the Office of Human Capital and Talent Management (HCTM), the Office of Civil Rights (OCR), the Bureau for Democracy, Development and Innovation (DDI), and the Bureau for Management, Office of Acquisition and Assistance (M/OAA);
- Contribute to advancing PPL Bureau Objectives, including cultivating an inclusive, supportive culture in PPL that reflects diversity, promotes equity, and empowers staff at every level to advance the work of the Bureau, PPL leadership, and the Program Office; and
- Coordinate implementation of PPL’s commitments as part of Agency-wide DEIA priorities, such as the Equity Action Plan and Agency Priority Goals, in coordination with responsible PPL Offices and issue owners.
This position will contribute to Agency and Bureau development results by improving the organizational health and resilience of the PPL Bureau, foreign service Program Officers, and the community of stakeholders with whom they engage. It would also increase the effectiveness of Bureau policies and programs to achieve sustainable, locally led development.
Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion: All employees are measured on how they foster a climate of respect and interactions with others, value differing perspectives, and treat others in a fair, equitable, and culturally sensitive manner. All employees are expected to adhere to the equal employment opportunity (EEO) policies and value diversity and inclusion in performing everyday duties and responsibilities.
Telework Eligibility: This position has been designated as telework eligible (three to eight days per pay period).
- Must be a U.S. citizen.
- Must have one year of specialized experience equivalent to the next lower grade level of this position (FSL-03, GS-13 equivalent). Examples of specialized experience include:
- Providing vision, direction, oversight and perspectives on all DEIA policy issues, strategic planning and leadership initiatives;
- Analyzing and evaluating DEIA programs and issues;
- Contributing to the development and implementation of a comprehensive DEIA plan and strategy linked to higher level organizational goals; and
- Developing, implementing, evaluating, and promoting strategies for organizational change and effectiveness.
- Must meet the Foreign Service Limited (FSL) Minimum Years of Experience and Degree Requirement to qualify for this position and grade.
- Must be eligible to obtain and maintain a Secret-level security clearance.
Interested candidates should submit a:
- Resume/CV and a minimum of five references;
- A short written statement of interest;
- Official or unofficial transcripts, if education is noted as a requirement above;
- Stated Security Clearance level, if applicable;
- Stated U.S. Citizenship (if citizenship is not stated, application will not be considered); and
- DD214 and other veteran status, if applicable.
Please submit your application package to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use the subject line: “FSL APPLICATION PACKAGE: PROGRAM OFFICER - DEIA ADVISOR - FL-0343-02.” Application submissions are required by 11:59 p.m. EST, September 21, 2023. Packages not submitted by the deadline with the specified subject line—or incomplete packages—will not receive consideration. This notice may be used to fill additional vacancies, as the workforce needs of the Bureau may change.
Additional resources include:
Any questions concerning this notice may be directed to:
-- Tiara King, PPL, Tiking@usaid.gov