Interpreter I- Spanish
Job Overview/Summary: Under the direction of the Interpreter Coordinator, the Interpreter will provide interpretation and/or translation services for refugees attending meetings at the IRC Dallas office and appointments in the community. In-house services include interpreting for assessments, cultural orientations, program enrollments, financial literacy courses, job readiness trainings, school enrollments, health appointments, mental health counselling, and other activities. This position is “Occasional” meaning on an on-call basis with variable hours. Interpreters must have reliable transportation and be punctual.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
· Interpret for staff and clients in the Spanish language
· Provide staff with interpretation support as they work with clients in both one-on-one and group settings
· Attend appointments (e.g. health or school related), job interviews, orientations, and other relevant appointments with clients, interpreting important information into the client’s native language
· Track and log the number of hours worked
· Adhere strictly to the IRC Code of Conduct for Interpreters
· Translate written documents or assessments as needed
- Education: Associate’s or Undergraduate degree preferred. Education in linguistics or related and/or evidence of training in interpretation a plus. - Work Experience: Prior experience providing interpretation services strongly preferred. - Skills and Competencies: Demonstrated success achieving goals and communicating cross-culturally. Must be a team player, detail oriented, patient, professional, and reliable. Available to work assignments during regular business hours. Evening and weekend availability a strong plus. - Language Skills: Fluency in both written and spoken English and Spanish languages. - Certificates or Licenses: Valid driver’s license, reliable vehicle with current insurance, and the ability to travel regularly throughout the service delivery area.
- A combination of standard office environment and ‘field’ time in and around the service delivery area to perform the above outlined responsibilities.
May require occasional weekend and/or evening work.