International Communications Expert
Application deadline 1 year ago: Friday 17 Jun 2022 at 23:59 UTCOpen application form
This is a IICA-2 contract. This kind of contract is known as International Individual Contractor Agreements. It is normally internationally recruited only. It's an external contract. It usually requires 5 years of experience, depending on education. More about IICA-2 contracts.
Background information- ECR
UNOPS Geneva Office is part of the Europe and Central Asia Regional Office (ECR), and manages one of UNOPS largest portfolios. It provides quality services and integrated solutions to its partners in the areas of operational support (including HR, Procurement, Finance, Travel, Administration and ICT) as well as management of grants and trust funds. The Geneva Office also hosts global entities working in support of health, nutrition, humanitarian support, sustainable urban development and disaster displacement.
Background Information - Job-specific
The UN Environment Programme is host to the implementation arm of the UNFCCC Technology Mechanism: the Climate Technology Centre and Network (CTCN). The mission of the CTCN is to enhance the development and transfer of climate technologies for developing countries as they seek to achieve their Paris Agreement and Sustainable Development Goals. The CTCN assists developing countries at their request, in terms of building and/or strengthening their capacity to prepare and implement climate technology projects that span the technology transfer continuum. The CTCN supports public and private sector action on mitigation and adaptation, enhancing low-carbon and climate-resilient development in a manner consistent with the capabilities and priorities of recipient countries.
Among its key services, the Centre provides tailored technology solutions, capacity building and knowledge sharing.
In support of these core functions, the Climate Technology Centre is engaged in a significant communications and outreach effort in order to:
1. Generate awareness and use of CTCN services;
2. Share climate technology information;
3. Strengthen stakeholder engagement; and
4. Demonstrate value to key stakeholders.
The CTCN’s internal and external target audiences are broad in terms of a range of stakeholders as well as in geographic location, thus requiring extensive communications work via tailored messaging and use of several means of communications (earned media, events, in-person meetings, printed materials, social media, web presence, etc.). Thus, a consultant is required to conduct communication activities in the implementation of the CTCN communications strategy.
In this position, the consultant will provide communication services in order to generate awareness of the CTCN, and will work in close coordination with the CTCN Knowledge and Communications Manager.
In particular, he/she will support:
• Implementation of the 2022 communications work plan;
• Drafting and distribution of regularly occuring e-newsletter to stakeholders;
• Drafting and frequently publishing content on the CTCTN Website and Social Media channels;
• Gathering information, conducting interviews, and composing draft content for use in CTCN case studies, reports, presentations and promotional materials;
• Drafting press releases;
• Conducting media outreach;
• Implementation of the CTCN's communication strategy for the Adaptation Fund Climate Adaptation Innovation fund;
• Assisting in developing CTCN videos in terms of planning, procurement and content guidance;
• Coordinating photography procurement of CTCN technical assistance/events for use in communications materials;
• Organizing CTCN exhibitions and/or pavilions at major events;
• Monitoring and evaluating CTCN communication activities;
• Preparing documentation related to communications procurement;
• Assisting in communications-related collaboration with host institutions and new/key partners, assisting in promoting climate technology dialogue and developing partnerships;
• Assisting on event organization (provide support for COP 27 (side events, exhibition, media coverage) & other events; support CTCN Regional Forums);
• Support in the planning, and assist with the execution, of trainings and workshops led by the Knowledge & Communications Manager (i.e. Climate Youth Innovation Labs).
The consultant will contribute to the following deliverables:
• The implementation of the 2022 communications work plan;
• Drafted and regularly published content on CTCTN Website and Social Media channels;
• Gathered information, conducted interviews, and composed draft content for use in CTCN case studies, reports, presentations and promotional materials;
• Drafted press releases;
• Conducted media outreach;
• AFCIA communications plan implemented as planned;
• CTCN videos procured and finalized;
• Photography of CTCN technical assistance/events for use in communications materials procured and completed;
• Organized CTCN exhibitions;
• Monitored and evaluated CTCN communication activities;
• Prepared documentation related to communications procurement;
• Assisted in communications-related collaboration with host institutions and new/key partners, assisted in promoting climate technology dialogue and developing partnerships;
• Assisted on event organization (provided support for COP 27 (side events, exhibition, media coverage) & other events; supported CTCN Regional Forums);
• Supported in the planning, and assisted with the execution, of trainings and workshops led by the Knowledge and Communications Manager (i.e. Climate Youth Innovation Labs).
Education - Advanced degree in communications, journalism, marketing, international and/or public relations or related field is required. - A Bachelors degree in communications, journalism, marketing, international and/or public relations or related field combined with an additional 2 years of relevant experience may be accepted in lieu of an advanced degree
Experience - A minimum of 5 years experience in the fields of communications, journalism, outreach, and/or marketing with specific experience in event planning, media outreach, social media or written content is required . - Strong understanding of climate change and environmental issues is an asset - Experience in global communications and working for a UN or multilateral organization is considered an asset.
- Language: Fluent speaking and writing skills in English are required. Knowledge of other UN languages is an asset.
Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.(for levels IICA-2, IICA-3, LICA Specialist- 10, LICA Specialist-11, NOC, NOD, P3, P4 and above) Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles. Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role). Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries. Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements. Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving. Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: ICA Contract level: International ICA-2 Contract duration: 5 months, until 31 December 2022, with possibility of extension subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and/or to satisfactory performance
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link: https://www.unops.org/english/Opportunities/job-opportunities/what-we-offer/Pages/Individual-Contractor-Agreements.aspx
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types.
- This position is located in a family duty station
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- For retainer contracts, you must complete a few Mandatory Courses (around 4 hours) in your own time, before providing services to UNOPS.
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.