Associate, Program Development
Application deadline 1 year ago: Sunday 23 Oct 2022 at 23:59 UTCOpen application form
Search for Common Ground is an international non profit organization with operations in 30 conflict-affected countries across the globe, and headquarters in the USA and in Belgium. The Belgian entity is an international AISBL with 30 staff based in our Brussels office and 1000 colleagues across the globe, 90% of whom are locals to the places where we implement our peacebuilding work.
The Program Development team plays a crucial role in that regard. The team creates new and repeat business for the organization in line with the Program Development Strategy. The Program Development team works closely with in-country Directors and Managers to ensure funding for programming that directly responds to the needs in Search’s conflict geographies. This function commences with scoping and pre-positioning for opportunities and completes with the signing of an award. This involves building program development strategies for conflict geographies, capturing opportunities, and leading Search’s engagement with institutional donors and partners. To develop successful bids the team works in close collaboration with other departments, including Finance, the Institutional Learning Team, Communications, and Human Resources. The Program Development team will build and strengthen the program development capacity within the organization.
This position supports Search’s engagement with donors in Europe, including the UK, and globally. The candidate will support a Europe-based engagement strategy, including for new donors to the organization. This position reports to the Manager, Program Development and has no supervisory responsibilities. The position is part of the Global Programme Development’s Global Hub, and works closely with colleagues based in Europe, the US and country teams.
- Supports the creation and implementation of program development strategies.
- Supports the capture process (developing partnerships, capture planning).
- Supports the development of bids, drafts sections of proposals or concepts.
- Supports the team’s knowledge management.
- Strategy development: Carries out background research, record-keeping. Supports strategy processes.
- Business intelligence: Researches and monitors donors. Analyzes funding opportunities. Ensures internal record-keeping.
- Positioning and donor relations: Represents Search in line with positioning efforts. Produces marketing materials.
- Partnerships: Supports partnership discussions. Conducts partner analysis. Ensures knowledge management.
- Go/No-Go decisions: Conducts background research, including competitor analysis.
- Capture planning: Conducts desk reviews. Assembles pre-proposal material. Supports delivery of capture strategy.
- Program design: Provides input and support. Develops background material.
- Proposal development: Drafts specific sections of proposals or concepts. Lead-writes supporting material development.
- Proposal reviews: Participates on review teams.
- Knowledge management and training: Ensures proper record-keeping, including in the Grants Management System. Tracks key program development data and prepares reports as requested.
- Other duties that are broadly in line with the above key contributions as assigned.
Competency Behavior Indicators (Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities)
- Engages and communicates effectively across functions and across teams.
- Participates in external meetings.
- Builds relationships and engages effectively with collaborators.
- Uses resiliency and exhibits flexibility and adaptability to changing tasks and team priorities.
- With oversight by the supervisor, writes technical sections for team documents, briefing materials, and presentations.
- Works across functions from a multicultural perspective that reflects consideration of other cultures, other viewpoints, and other ways of doing things.
- Sensitively recognizes ethical situations.
- Focuses on the key objectives of a task or project.
- Creates accurate, organized, and timely work.
- Is resourceful with time management and technology to prioritize tasks with limited supervision.
- Minimum BS/BA in peace and conflict studies, international relations, international development, or a related field.
- At least 3 years of professional experience if holding a BA/BS or 1 year if holding a Master degree, preferably in international or cross-cultural environments.
- Excellent writing, editing, and communication skills in English.
- Working proficiency in French or German a strong asset. Knowledge of additional other common European languages is also an asset.
- Interest and knowledge in the field of peacebuilding and conflict transformation.
- Familiarity with program design, monitoring, and evaluation.
- Ability to maintain professionalism, creativity, and enthusiasm while working in a fast-paced, multi-cultural environment is key.
- Self-starter, able to work independently, and willing to take on tasks small and large.
- Well organized, resourceful with time management and technology to prioritize tasks.
Salary Range and Contract Duration
The salary range for this position would be between 3.090 and 3.900 EUR gross per month for a full time equivalent, based on relevant experience, with standard benefits (22 days of annual leave, end-of-year office closure, double vacation pay, meal vouchers, life insurance, hospitalisation insurance, transport allocation).
Type and Nature of Contacts
Interacts with others and handles problem situations with tact. Periodic external engagement as requested.
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements
Usual office environment conditions; ability to travel internationally 10% of the time to European capital cities and/or Search offices around the world.
Supervisory and Budget Responsibility
This is a full-time position based in our Brussels (Belgium) office. Please note that we are unfortunately only able to consider applicants who hold the right to live and work in Belgium.
To apply, interested candidates should send the following through our Application System Lever.
- Current resume
- Cover letter
- One writing sample
Deadline for application: October 23rd, 2022. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Foreseen start date: ASAP but ideally December 1st, 2022
As job descriptions cannot be exhaustive, the position holder may be required to undertake other duties that are broadly in line with the above key responsibilities.