WASH/Shelter Officer Sudan Kosti
Application deadline 1 month ago: Tuesday 23 Aug 2022 at 06:56 UTCOpen application form
This is a Professional contract, Grade 5 (NRC) contract. More about Professional contract, Grade 5 (NRC) contracts.
Wash/Shelter Officer (National Position) –Advertisement
P.S: Please ensure that you fill in all details before submitting your application on NRC people (Oracle HR). Empty and incomplete applications will not be considered.
NRC resumed operations in Sudan in 2020, providing humanitarian assistance, protection, and durable solutions. Our country programme integrates all of NRC’s six core competencies (camp management, education, ICLA, livelihoods, shelter, and WASH), and provides a rapid response capacity (including for the recent refugee emergency in eastern Sudan), and thematic capacities for cash and markets-based approaches, advocacy, digital modes of assistance, and co-leading various technical and strategic coordination platforms.
Role Specific Information
The purpose of the Wash/Shelter Officer position is to assist in the day-to-day implementation of Education activities in White Nile State.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Ensure adherence with NRC policies, tools, handbooks and guidelines
- Implement delegated CC project portfolio according to plan of action
- Prepare and develop status reports as required by management
- Ensure proper filing of documents
- Ensure that projects target beneficiaries most in need, and explore and asses new and better ways to assist
- Promote and share ideas for technical improvement
- Maintain a close link and collaborate with other sectors in particular health, protection, ICLA, education, food security, etc.
- Preparing monthly progress reports and other technical documents or tools
- Contributes to capacity building of project staff
- Collaborate with local authorities and other stakeholders and promote the rights of people affected by displacement (IDPs, returnees, refugees, host populations) in line with NRC's advocacy strategy.
- Conduct technical needs assessments, and participate when required in focus group discussions, community meetings, and other community mobilization activities
- Supervise and monitor contractor works, works carried out by Daily/Incentive labor and/or repairs including correct usage, specifications of materials and general quality of the works
- In collaboration with team leader, produce site level BoQs, and amendments in accordance with NRC Technical minimum standards
- Report on technical aspects daily activities of Incentive labor and complete documentation in regard to technical performance
- Participate in field level coordination with community stakeholders in areas of project implementation.
- Participates in the designing of needs identification tools and project monitoring and evaluation tools.
- Ensure that water and sanitation, NFI activities and monitoring activities are implemented in a timely and professional manner and in line with the needs of beneficiaries.
- Establishes, monitors and evaluates the weekly and monthly planning of the team's activities.
- Make monthly forecasts of related expenses according to the established model and monitor them.
- Designs training modules for WASH committees and contributes to the improvement of existing ones;
- Trains and supports team members, service providers and local and technical partners.
- In collaboration its supervisor actively participates in the recruitment process of team members e.g. enumerators.
- Develops the necessary tools for the WASH program according to the supervisor's instructions (drawing, specifications, technical specifications, service contract, supply, and use of construction materials, etc.).
- Participate in the implementation of the monitoring plan of activities delegated by the supervisor,
- Ensures the archiving of all project documents.
- Maintain a system of reasonable control over the materials and tools used, while mentioning the quality of the material obtained and ensure that all water and sanitation works are in line with national and local guidelines.
- Ensure that hygiene promotion activities achieve their objectives within the set timeframe;
- Ensure that activities promote accountability to beneficiaries, gender and protection sensitivity and effective inclusion in programming
- Provide technical support and training to hygiene promoters and community volunteers
- Provide regular reports at the required frequency and in the required manner, document the results and keep detailed records.
- Preparing and implementing the distribution of NFI’s, including site preparation, verification, distribution, crowd control and complaint handling.
- Reports on difficulties, lessons learned and any other obstacles that may affect the implementation of the activities
- Performs any other duties as requested by the supervisor
Our Ideal Candidate:
- Hold a university degree (Bac + 4) in EHA, hydraulics, hydrology, civil engineering, public works, architecture, or its equivalent.
- Higher education certificate shall be consider as advantage.
- Minimum 3 years of experience of working as a Project Officer in a humanitarian/recovery context
- Solid knowledge of the principles of WASH in a conflicting environment
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Good knowledge of English of both verbal and written communication.
- Proven knowledge in borehole construction/rehabilitation, water points, latrines construction.
- Proven knowledge in soft WASH components including community sensitization, hygiene promotion, CLTS and committees training.
- Project design skills.
- Good capacity for planning and monitoring of activities
- Have a great capacity for analysis
- Have good knowledge/experience in conducting qualitative/quantitative assessments and in responding adequately to identified gaps
- Ability to work in a team and in a heterogeneous and international environment.
- Have a good knowledge of the local cultures and languages of the areas of intervention (White Nile).
- Have a good command of computers (Windows, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, CAD software).
- Preferable to be located in White Nile area.
Candidates are encouraged to apply early, as applications may be screened prior to the vacancy deadline
Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply!
Email and paper applications will not be considered.
Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s salary scale and terms and conditions
Duty station: Kosti
Travel: 75% to the field
NRC may be required to verify the identity of its partners and to check that its partners have not been involved in illegal activities. NRC reserves the right to use electronic screening tools for this purpose.
NB: All employees of the Norwegian Refugee Council should be able to adhere to our Code of Conduct and the four organizational values: Dedicated, innovative, inclusive and accountable.
To apply please visit www.nrc.no careers
Closing date: 23/08/2022