WASH Project Officer Ukraine Severodonetsk
Application deadline 7 months ago: Tuesday 22 Feb 2022 at 07:54 UTCOpen application form
This is a Professional contract (NRC) contract. More about Professional contract (NRC) contracts.
- Role and responsibilities
The WASH Project Officer is responsible for ensuring that targeted communities are involved in all steps of the NRC WASH programming and will be the primary responsible focal person undertaking day-to-day activities related to community engagement and maintaining NRC relations with community leaders, partners, local authorities and other stakeholders and institutions in the specific areas of operations. S/he will be reporting the WASH Project Coordinator
- Adherence to NRC policies, guidance and procedures;
- Ensure community engagement takes priority in all WASH related programming, from assessment through completion of works;
- Ensure that projects target beneficiaries most in need of protection, explore and asses new and better ways to assist;
- Contribute to specific protection risks and needs analyses;
- Coordinate with local authorities, community groups and all stakeholders and institutions; to ensure full support and transparency within the communities in which we work;
- In new areas of operation, contribute towards the NRC Ukraine strategy;
- Promote a community, beneficiary, tenant or owner driven approach to programming in all activities, with further contribution to competency activities
- Promote and share ideas for improvement and necessary changes in the activities;
- Provide training to relevant stakeholders;
- Ensure project documentation in compliance with NRC policies and procedures.
- Be the lead in delivering hygiene promotion, and when required other critical information such as water preservation, water safety, etc.
- Participate/Assist in needs assessments, surveys, baseline studies, and other types of data collection.
- Support in organizing focus group discussions, community meetings, and other community mobilization activities;
- Contribute to baseline determination focusing on specific needs of most vulnerable groups;
- Ensure the inclusion of the most vulnerable through the effective design and implementation of the process to identify, monitor and review vulnerable communities with special attention to , gender, violence prevention and WASH minimum sphere standards; Establish networking with other actors working in the area, exploring referral mechanisms, forming working relationships with local authorities, etc.;
- Participate/Assist in field level M&E activities and develop success stories from project implementation;
- Assist in developing messaging around project implementation methodology, scope of work, selection criteria and any other related beneficiary project documents;
- Ensure proper sensitisation and effective delivery of information and messaging to the community about the planned activities, beneficiary selection criteria, processes, etc.;
- Ensure understanding of the feedback mechanism by local communities within the areas NRC operates;
- Represent NRC in the meetings with community groups and “town hall” style meetings;
- Act as focal point, or the “voice” for NRC within the community, and vice versa—be an informal measure of community acceptance of NRC programming and feedback.
Competencies are important in order for the employee and the organisation to deliver desired results. They are relevant for all staff and are divided into the following two categories:
These are skills, knowledge and experience that are important for effective performance.
Generic professional competencies for this position:
- Minimum two years of experience in international and/or local NGO; ideally in community engagement roles
- Excellent interpersonal and networking skills and the ability to liaise authoritatively with figures from the humanitarian community, local government and security actors, and other relevant actors, when required
- Excellent communication and reporting skills, both written and oral
- Good conceptual understanding of gender, protection, and human rights
- Excellent representation, negotiation, interpersonal, and communication skills
Context related skills, knowledge and experience (shall be adapted to the specific position):
- Knowledge of the context in Ukraine is mandatory
- Solid understanding and experience of crisis contexts and working in complex emergencies
- Fluency in spoken Ukrainian and Russian.
- English intermediate as a high plus
- Understanding in new Administrative Division of Newly Amalgamated Communities
- Knowledge/experience in gender vulnerability is a major plus
- Handling insecure environments
- Managing resources to optimize results
- Empowering and building trust
- Planning and delivering results
- Communicating with impact and respect
- Pro-active, goal-oriented and results driven
- Type of contract: till the end of 2022 with possibility of extension based on the fund and performance review
- Salary/benefits: According to NRC salary scale, terms and conditions.
- Duty station: Severodonetsk, Ukraine.
This position is for Ukraine nationals only.