WASH Officer, NOA, Assignment of 364 days, Cochabamba-Bolivia
Application deadline 1 month ago: Monday 2 Aug 2021 at 03:55 UTCOpen application form
This is a NO-1 contract. This kind of contract is known as National Professional Officers. It is normally only for nationals. It's a staff contract. More about NO-1 contracts.
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, Opportunity.
The WASH programme in UNICEF Bolivia is a substantial component of the Country Programme.
How can you make a difference?
The WASH officer will be supervised by the Cochabamba Programme Officer in direct coordination with the WASH Specialist in La Paz for technical supervision and guidance.
Summary of Key functions/accountabilities:
1.Programme development and planning
Research and analyze regional/national political, WASH with priority in WASH rural, health, and social and economic development trends. Collect, analyze, verify, and synthesize information to facilitate programme development, design and preparation.
Prepare technical reports and inputs for programme preparation and documentation, ensuring accuracy, timeliness, and relevance of information.
Assist in the development/establishment of WASH in general and especially of rural WASH related outcome and output results, as well as related strategies-- through analysis of sector needs and priorities.
Provide technical and administrative support throughout all stages of programming processes by executing/administering a variety of technical programme transactions, preparing materials/documentations, complying with organizational processes and management systems, to support progress towards the WASH-related outcome and/or output results in the Country Programme.
- Prepare required documentations/materials to facilitate review and approval processes.
2. Programme management, monitoring and delivery of results
Work collaboratively with colleagues and national and subnational partners to collect/analyze/ share information on implementation issues, suggest solutions on routine programme implementation and alert appropriate officials and stakeholders for higher-level interventions and/or decision. Keep record of reports and assessments for easy reference and/or to capture and institutionalize lessons learned.
Participate in monitoring and evaluation exercises, programme reviews and annual sectoral reviews with government and other counterparts and prepare minutes/reports on results for follow up action by higher management and other stakeholders.
Monitor and report on the use of sectoral programme resources (financial, administrative, and other assets), verify compliance with approved allocations, organizational rules, regulations/procedures and donor commitments, standards of accountability and integrity. Report on issues identified to enable timely resolution by management/stakeholders. Follow up on unresolved issues to ensure resolution.
Prepare inputs for programme and donor reporting.
3. Technical and operational support for programme implementation
Undertake field visits and surveys, collect, and share reports with partners/stakeholders. Report critical issues, bottlenecks, and potential problems to supervisor, for timely action.
Provide technical and operational support to national and subnational government counterparts, NGO partners, UN system partners and other country office partners/donors on the application and understanding of UNICEF policies, strategies, processes and best practices in WASH, with an emphasis on rural WASH, to support programme implementation.
4. Humanitarian WASH preparedness and respose
- Draft inputs for the preparation of WASH emergency preparedness, including the drafting of required supplies and services, long-term agreements, partnership agreements, and coordination mechanisms.
- Study and fully understand UNICEF’s procedures for responding in an emergency.
- Take up support roles in an emergency response and early recovery, as and when the need arises.
5. Networking and partnership building
Build and sustain close working partnerships with national and subnational government counterparts and national stakeholders through active sharing of information and knowledge to facilitate programme implementation and build capacity of stakeholders to achieve WASH output results, whit priority in rural WASH.
Draft communication and information materials for WASH, specially WASH rural, programme advocacy to promote awareness, establish partnership/alliances and support fund raising for WASH.
Participate in inter-agency meetings/events on WASH programming to collaborate with interagency partners/colleagues on UNDAF operational planning and preparation of WASH programmes/projects principally in the rural area and to integrate and harmonize UNICEF output results and implementation strategies with UNDAF development and planning processes.
Research information on potential donors and prepare resource mobilization materials and briefs for fund raising and partnership development purposes.
6. Innovation, knowledge management and capacity building
- Assist in the development, implementation, monitoring and documentation of WASH action research and innovation, specially in the rural contest (technical or systems).
- Assist in the preparation of learning/knowledge products, covering innovative approaches and good practices, to support overall WASH rural sector development.
- Assist in creating and delivering learning opportunities for UNICEF WASH staff, to ensure our sector capacity remains up-to-date with latest developments.
- Participate as a resource person in capacity building initiatives to enhance the competencies of clients/stakeholders.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
- An advanced university degree in one of the following fields is required: public health, social sciences, behavior change communication, sanitary engineering, or another relevant technical field.
- Additional relevant post-graduate courses that complement/supplement the main degree is a strong asset. A minimum of 1 year of professional relevant professional experience in WASH- related programmes for developing countries is required.
- 5 years of professional work experience in Rural WASH is highly desirable.
- Fluency in English is required.
For every Child, you demonstrate...
UNICEF's values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, and Accountability (CRITA) and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
The UNICEF core competencies required for this post are:
Demonstrates Self Awareness and Ethical Awareness (1)
Works Collaboratively with others (1)
Builds and Maintains Partnerships (1)
Innovates and Embraces Change (1)
Thinks and Acts Strategically (1)
Drive to achieve impactful results (1)
Manages ambiguity and complexity (1)
Applying technical expertise (2)
Learning and researching (2)
Planning and organizing (2)
To view our competency framework, please visit here.
Click here to learn more about UNICEF’s values and competencies.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks. Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.