Shelter and Settlements Specialist - Roster (Multiple Countries)
Application deadline in 2 months: Saturday 31 Dec 2022 at 20:59 UTCOpen application form
This is a Professional contract, Grade 9 (NRC) contract. More about Professional contract, Grade 9 (NRC) contracts.
This Roster is a call for applications for future opportunities, determined by emerging needs and is not linked to a current vacancy. This advertisement aims to attract and build a database of experienced, strategic, high-energy, hands-on, passionate, results-oriented individuals. The countries of focus include: Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Central African Republic, The Democratic Republic of Congo, Ethiopia, Kenya, Mali, Mozambique, Niger, Nigeria, Sudan, Somalia, South Sudan, Tanzania, Uganda and Yemen.
What you will do
As a Shelter Specialist or Shelter Programme Development Manager (PDM), you will be responsible for the technical and strategic development of the Shelter and Settlements Core Competency (CC), and you will provide strategic direction and quality assurance for NRC programming. In both cases, you will be responsible for mentoring, training and capacity building staff. You will also take a lead role on advocacy and coordination, as well as programme design and proposal development for the fundraising for the CC.
You will be part of the of the Programme Unit (PU) and contribute to the strategic direction of the Core Competency.
You will be responsible for the following:
- Develop Shelter and Settlements country strategy and develop technical guidance that are aligned with regional and global strategies and priorities
- Follow up on compliance with contractual commitments, ensure high technical quality and synergies in project implementation
- Identify trends technical standards and provide technical direction and project implementation support
- Provide systematic training and build capacity of staff in S&S approaches including cash-based interventions and market-based programme
- Contribute to fundraising, developing and revising funding proposals, budgets and donor reports
- Represent NRC in relevant forums/clusters, including with national authorities and donors
- Promote the rights of refugees, IDPs and returnees in line with the advocacy strategy
In addition, as PDM, you will also be responsible for:
- Overall management of project staff
- Coordinating and managing S&S project implementation (activities, budget and project documentation) in line with proposals, strategies and donor requirements
What you will bring
- Minimum 5 years of experience within technical expertise area in a humanitarian/ recovery context
- Minimum 2 years of Shelter and Settlements expertise (as Specialist, Technical Adviser or Project Manager)
- Bachelor's degree or similar in relevant field
- A clear interest and understanding of humanitarian issues from emergency to protracted crisis
- A clear interest and understanding of Protection Mainstreaming (Safe & Inclusive Programming)
- Experience from working in complex and volatile environments
- Skills in market analysis, cash-based interventions and market-based programmes
- Excellent analytical skills and communication skills in writing and speaking
- Fluency in English both written and verbal; in addition, proficiency in French is required based on the contextual needs (Central and West Africa)
- Proficiency in additional languages is an asset. Please state your language(s) proficiency in your application.
For more information on the role, please click this job description
What makes this position attractive?
- A chance to join the Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC), a leading organization responding to the Shelter and Settlements needs of people across the different phases of displacement
- A chance to advocate for the wider impact of shelter assistance and help maintain Shelter as a priority in humanitarian responses by developing and helping to deliver consistent quality response
- A flexible opportunity with the possibility of placement at the different NRC duty stations
What it means to be in the Roster
As a potential hire to this role, all candidates undergo a comprehensive assessment process including but not limited to application screening, online video interviews, written tests, competency-based interviews and background checks. The successful candidates are included in our ready to hire talent pool and will be contacted by our recruiters in line with NRC’s hiring needs. Members of this pool are recommended to Hiring Managers whenever we have a vacancy. Hiring Managers then make the final hiring decision following a final assessment.
*Applications will be screened on a continuous basis before the deadline stated on the advertisement*
Working at NRC
We are looking for people who are passionate about helping refugees and people forced to flee. Are you one of those people? If you are, the Norwegian Refugee Council offers you the opportunity to:
- Do demanding and professional work, often in challenging contexts - NRC is focused on quality. In the field, we work hard to solve challenges in demanding environments, often in hard-to-reach areas. We work professionally, with respect for all and focus on safety and teamwork. You will learn fast in a professional setting.
- Join a work culture that empowers every employee to share ideas and take responsibility - At NRC we think outside the box. We encourage ideas and give responsibility to all employees at all levels, to help solve the complex issues that we face. You will have many opportunities to be heard and take the initiative.
- Be part of a welcoming and supportive community committed to human dignity - We are a team of more than 15,000 humanitarians from all backgrounds, perspectives and ages. You will meet friendly, positive and collaborative colleagues. We nurture a conscious and respectful workplace and look beyond differences in culture, religion, race or gender. We are dedicated to improving the lives and rights of displaced people, whether we work in the field or in the Head Office. We welcome you to a global community of humanitarians, colleagues and friends.
Female candidates are strongly encouraged to join our work culture that empowers every employee to share ideas and take responsibility