Senior Communication Specialist
Application deadline in 4 days: Tuesday 5 Dec 2023 at 22:59 UTCOpen application form
The position is located at the FAO Representation in Georgia. The main aim of the FAO country offices, which are headed by the FAO Representative, is to assist governments to develop policies, programmes and projects to achieve food security and to reduce hunger and malnutrition, to help develop the agricultural, fisheries and forestry sectors, and to use their environmental and natural resources in a sustainable manner.
The Senior Communication Specialist works under the overall supervision of the FAO Representative in Georgia, the direct supervision of the Assistant FAO Representative in Georgia, in close collaboration with fellow Communication Specialists and the other FAO staff in Georgia, as well as the REU communication team, and in accordance with FAO’s corporate communications policies and donor visibility guidelines.
Technical Focus Senior Communication Specialist supports the FAO Country Office in Georgia and all its projects in all types of information, communication and visibility work.
Tasks and responsibilities
• Lead the Communication Team of FAO Country Office in Georgia • Undertake all information and communication work related to the technical assistance of the EU-supported FAO projects • Further develop overall communication and visibility action plans for all activities under the FAO the European Neighbourhood Programme for Agriculture and Rural Development (ENPARD) projects • Undertake all information and communication work related to the technical assistance of the SDC and ADA-supported FAO projects • Undertake all information and communication work related to FAO TCPs • Undertake all information and communication work related to the technical assistance of the FAO projects supported by various donors as well as the Government (UTF projects) • Ensure appropriate visibility of FAO and EU in line with relevant visibility requirements and guidelines; • Ensure appropriate visibility of FAO and SDC in line with relevant visibility requirements and guidelines; • Ensure appropriate visibility of FAO and ADA in line with relevant visibility requirements and guidelines; • Ensure appropriate visibility of FAO and its various donors and partners in line with relevant visibility requirements and guidelines • Ensure appropriate visibility of FAO under UN work in collaboration with UNRC office communication specialist and plan the events jointly; Participate in the UN communication events and thematic group meetings; • Create regular news outlets (press releases, news stories, newsletters) of various formats (electronic, printed, web) and disseminate to stakeholders (FAO globally, donors, government, media, partners) through appropriate channels (TV, radio, social networks, webpages, etc.); • Distribute various articles, news releases, reports, multimedia materials from Regional Office as well as FAO HQ to local stakeholders; • Serve as a FAO focal point for local and international media, facilitate field visits of media to EU, SDC, ADA and other donor-supported FAO projects; • Create various information packages for media and arrange opportunities for educating them on the issues of agriculture; • Participate in planning and organizing of FAO events (conferences, presentations, trainings, visits of officials, field visits, etc.) to ensure consistency of messages, quality of events, and visibility; • Work closely with FAO staff to draw ideas on new communication-related activities and initiatives; • Provide guidelines to local staff on how to deal with media and ensure consistency of messages, provide advice in case of various media-related cases; • Ensure regular media monitoring and report on impact of FAO media outreach in Georgia; • Translate articles and social media contents to and from English and/or Georgian languages; • Perform other related duties as required. • Liaise with the Office of Communication (OCC), either directly or through an agreed focal point/coordinator, to ensure compliance with OCC standards, appropriate review and clearance processes.
All communication materials will follow FAO clearance processes and comply with FAO standards, including: FAOSTYLE (English: https://www.fao.org/3/cb8081en/cb8081en.pdf; French: https://www.fao.org/3/AC339FR/ac339fr.pdf; Spanish: https://www.fao.org/3/ac339s/ac339s.pdf; Arabic: https://www.fao.org/3/ac339a/ac339a.pdf; Chinese: https://www.fao.org/3/ac339c/ac339c.pdf); FAO terminology http://www.fao.org/faoterm; FAO Names Of Countries https://www.fao.org/nocs/en; Story guidelines http://intranet.fao.org/fileadmin/user_upload/occ/Quick_Guides/UPDATED-Digital-Storytelling-Guide-EN-FINAL.pdf; Story template http://intranet.fao.org/fileadmin/user_upload/occ/Quick_Guides/FAO-Stories-Template-UPDATED.pdf; UN map standards (available to staff); FAO Brand and policy book (available to staff).
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• University degree (MA) in Communication, Public Relations, Journalism or related discipline. • 5 years of relevant experience at the national or international level • Working knowledge (Level C) of English and Georgian • National of the country of assignment
FAO Core Competencies
• Results Focus • Teamwork • Communication • Building Effective Relationships • Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement •
• Hands-on experience in administrating and creating content for social media accounts. • Experience in writing, editing and reviewing the texts in Georgian and English Hands-on experience in developing communication and visibility materials, strategies and plans • Working knowledge of Russian is an asset
- FAO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing)
- Applications received after the closing date will not be accepted
- Please note that FAO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU) / United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed at http://www.whed.net/
- For additional employment opportunities visit the FAO employment website: http://www.fao.org/employment/home/en/
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.