Safety Officer - Liaison
Application deadline in 6 days: Thursday 2 Feb 2023 at 22:59 UTCOpen application form
This is a DRC - National contract. More about DRC - National contracts.
Safety Officer – Liaison
Duty Station [Khokha]Yemen
Who are we?
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) has delivered humanitarian relief and development programming in Yemen since 2008. DRC focuses on supporting refugees, migrants, and people displaced by conflict and natural disasters, working especially in areas with access challenges. DRC engages in protection, emergency, WASH, and mine risk education programming among other sectors, and has hub offices in Sana'a, Aden, Hodeidah, as well as several other locations throughout Yemen.
In response to the critical and constantly evolving humanitarian situation in Yemen, DRC has assumed a leading role in coordinating response at IDP hosting sites. Working at IDP sites involves working together with international and local organizations in order to coordinate implementation of humanitarian activities, support community-based site management mechanisms, and monitor standards, needs, and gaps..
Overall purpose of the role: To assist in managing safety and liaison activities in Khokha office and Westcoast, ensuring operation in compliance with safety procedures. Manage and implement safety procedures and instruct staff to be compliant with safety proceduresز
- Assist Safety Team Leader – South with the implementation of regional safety policies, safety rules, and standard operating procedures (SOPs) related to the safe implementation of program activities and ensuring that staff are instructed about safety awareness and procedures.
- Track access and operations and monitoring of staff during field movements.
- Collect, verify, analyze, and submit timely and regular reports on issues that affect, or may affect DRC/HDP operations.
- Support/Coordinate with Safety Officer in Mocha for on various Safety functions, e.g., Staff movement, Safety assessment, deconfliction, document of incidents and analysis and reporting
- Facilitate at the governorate and support the SO in Mocha/Aden to ensure that MOPIC/IDP Executive Unit coordination are in place to maintain staff access to beneficiaries.
- Monitor the evolving situation in DRC operations in area of responsibility (West Coast) in coordination with other actors as per regional, country, and program guidelines.
- Establish a network of contacts with relevant government offices, including MOPIC, IDP Exclusive Unit, and represent DRC at safety meetings, including active participation in safety-Liaison meetings in the west coast and as assigned by Base Manager.
- Provide operational safety briefings and orientation to all new and visiting staff in area of responsibility.
- Assist in training on safety procedures, security awareness, PAST, access and counter-surveillance; mission planning, and fire safety (as required) for field offices staff in area of responsibility.
- Assist in the management of safety incidents and crisis, provide timely and accurate incident reports and analysis, including analysis of organizational lessons learned.
- Monitoring and supervision (as required) of security guards, watchmen, and drivers where it relates to compliance of safety measures, local safety rules, and standard operating procedures.
- Supervise the implementation of physical and asset protection protocols and regulations.
- Ensure that appropriate access controls are in place for all DRC facilities.
- Assist in regular Security Risk Assessments (SRAs), including regular review of Safety Level System (SLS) and Minimum Operating Safety Standards (MOSS) as per DRC policy in coordination with Safety Team Leader – South
- Advise and assist the procurement and issue of safety equipment.
- Track safety-related incidents and developments and provide trend/pattern analysis.
- Conduct regular field site assessments and advise on mitigation measures.
- Carry out other activities as requested by Base Manager and Safety Team Leader – South.
With regard to safety policy, DRC has a dual-line reporting structure. The Safety Officer will report to Base Manager - Mocha, and for technical and information matters and tasking, to the Safety Team Leader in the South and country safety The dual reporting structure is designed to eliminate any delays and to promote transparency in the reporting process.
Submit daily updates as needed to Base Manager in Mocha about safety operation status within area of responsibility.
Experience and technical competencies: (include years of experience)
- 4 years of experience in security, preferably in the military or police context or related field of work.
- Prior experience with the UN System or an International NGO is highly desirable.
Education: (include certificates, licenses etc.)
- A university degree in a discipline related to security management, international studies, or military/police studies.
- Diploma or equal of public relations.
All DRC staff members are expected to demonstrate the following core competencies:
- Striving for excellence – constantly and actively seeking ways to develop professionally.
- Collaborating – working respectfully with DRC staff, partners, beneficiaries, and other stakeholders.
- Taking the lead – showing positive initiative in situations where leadership is required.
- Communicating – ability to listen, give space, and convey thoughts and ideas to others respectfully.
- Demonstrating integrity – adhering to high personal and professional ethical standards.
Language: (indicate fluency level)
• Fluent in both written and speaking English – highly preferable.
Key stakeholders****: (internal and external)
- All DRC Staff.
- DRC management and SMT.
- Government bodies.
- Ministry of Planning and International Cooperation (MOPIC).
- Operations Room (Ministry of Interior).
- Yemen Mines Action Center.
- Other INGOS.
- UN Agencies.
DRC will offer the successful applicant a contract ending on 31 December 2023, renewable based on both funding and performance.
Duty Station (Based in Khokha)Yemen:
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment. This position will be placed at Band (NMH2), level (1), and will be reporting to the Base Manager.
Are you Interested? Then apply for this position by clicking on the apply button or the link below. All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in the same language as this vacancy note. CV-only applications will not be considered.
Females are encouraged to apply for this position****.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Or you can submit your CV and Cover letter to DRC Khokha or Mocha office ( guards) and sign CVs reception form, stating date and position.
DRC provides equal opportunity in employment and prohibits discrimination in employment on the basis of race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability.
DRC encourages all applicants to apply and does not practice any discrimination in any recruitment process.
Applications close on the 2****nd of February 2023 at midnight (local time). Applications submitted after this date will not be considered. The interviews are expected to take place, two weeks after the advertisement closing date.
Need further information?
For more details on this position, please contact [email protected].
Please note that applications sent directly to [email@example.com] will not be considered.
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website www.drc.ngo.