Project Officer - Rapariga Biz Programme (WEE)
Application deadline 1 year ago: Tuesday 11 May 2021 at 23:59 UTCOpen application form
This is a SB-3 contract. This kind of contract is known as Service Board / Service Contract. It is normally only for nationals. More about SB-3 contracts.
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
UN Women Mozambique focuses its interventions on women’s economic empowerment, participation, and democratic governance, combating violence against women, among others. In this context, it puts a strong focus on young women’s economic empowerment as part of the strategy to promote sexual and reproductive health and rights. Additionally, it favours girls and young women in the development of high-profit initiatives and labor market opportunities at district and provincial levels.
Placing women’s rights at the center of all its efforts, UN Women leads and coordinates United Nations system efforts to ensure that commitments on gender equality and gender mainstreaming translate into action throughout the world. It provides strong and coherent leadership in support of Member States’ priorities and efforts, building effective partnerships with civil society and other relevant actors.
Evidence shows the positive effect of girls and young women’s economic empowerment on their agency, and consequently on their health, uptake of health care services, number of children, health of their children etc. Based on the fact that young women’s capacity to bring about economic change for themselves is increasingly viewed as the most important contributing factor to achieving equality between women and men, Rapariga Biz anticipates that a stronger emphasis on providing economic opportunities for the target group will assist in addressing the inequalities present in the geographic areas fueling the vulnerabilities and marginalization of girls and young women.
Under the overall guidance and direction of the supervisor, the Project Officer will work closely with the programme and operations team, Provincial Government, UN Agencies involved in the Rapariga BIZ (e.g., UNFPA, UNICEF and UNESCO) and civil society to ensure the technical direction and implementation of the project are maintained and key outputs are achieved in a cost effective and timely manner. The Project officer will be responsible for achievement of the Rapariga Biz result on: “Girls and Young Women in safe Spaces in Nampula Province are economically empowered.” Drawing on the lessons learned from on-going efforts in Nampula to ensure girls and young women, as well as mentors are offered economic empowerment opportunities, UN Women seeks to ensure that tailor-made activities continue to be implemented for the local context in Nampula.
Duties and Responsibilities
Oversee and provide technical support on implementation of the Rapariga Biz Programme
- Oversee implementation of the project’s activities in accordance with the annual work plan and towards achieving the project outputs and outcomes.
- Ensure regular follow up with national experts/consultants and civil society groups/think tanks involved in the implementation of project activities, including revision of their deliverables and results.
- Maintain regular communication and extend technical support to economic empowerment initiatives conducted by girls and young women.
- Provide guidance and support to UN Women implementing partners/responsible parties, carrying specific activities within the project.
- Serve as UN Women focal person in the province.
- Give inputs to quarterly progress reports and contribute to the drafting of Annual and final project report.
Provide Monitoring and Knowledge Management support
- Conduct systematic monitoring and reporting of UN Women’s project implementation and Rapariga Biz programme implementation at the provincial level.
- Provide inputs to and consolidate quarterly progress and financial reports.
- Maintain close communication with project beneficiaries, consultants, IPs and institutional contractors.
- Synthesize and document project activities, success stories and lessons learned.
- Coordinate and participate in the mid-term review and evaluation in collaboration with participating UN agencies and local partners.
Coordination and Partnership
- Coordinate with all project parties and partners involved in project implementation at the Provincial level.
- Organize and participate in Rapariga Biz programme activities including preparation of background documents and minutes taking.
- Organize key advocacy/awareness raising events in coordination with relevant colleagues at the provincial level in coordination with Un Women Programme Officer and UNFPA Rapariga Biz Programme Coordinator and as applicable.
- Maintain close relationship with key stakeholders (state and non-state) and ensure adequate information flow on Rapariga Biz related activities by the UN.
- Lead planning and implementation of joint advocacy activities for greater visibility of programme 4.
Perform any other duties as assigned by supervisor.
Key Performance Indicators
- Timely and quality implementation of project and programme against set workplans, timelines, and budgets, in line with the Strategic Note and Rapariga Biz programme.
- Quality and timely reporting.
- Strong relations with partners and stakeholders.
- Regular and timely monitoring of activities.
- Enhanced best practices and lessons learned documented and circulated.
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example
- Good programme formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation skills.
- Good budget and finance skills
- Good knowledge of Results Based Management
- Ability to gather and interpret data, reach logical conclusions, and present findings and recommendations.
- Good analytical skills
- Knowledge of UN programme management systems
Required Skills and Experience
Master’s degree or equivalent in Economics, Business Administration, Development Studies, Rural Development, International Relations, Gender and Human Rights related disciplines, Social Sciences, or related field.
A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
A project/programme management certification would be an added advantage.
At least 5 years of progressively responsible experience at the national or provincial level in managing complex and multi-component programme interventions with national/provincial and district partners, preferably related to thematic area.
Experience in coordinating, implementing, monitoring, and evaluating development programmes.
Relevant experience at the national and/or international level with young women economic empowerment and leadership programmes and projects including experience in design, management, monitoring and evaluation of thematic and multi-stakeholder development programmes.
Minimum of 4 years of relevant experience working on development issues, preferably related to women’s rights, entrepreneurship development and gender equality.
Knowledge of rural development, economic empowerment and community-based poverty reduction strategies is desirable.
Knowledge of policy frameworks, planning, budgeting, and monitoring tools/processes at district, provincial and national levels favouring youth is an asset.
Fluency in Portuguese and English is required.
Knowledge of local languages spoken in Nampula is an asset.
Working knowledge of another official UN language is an asset.
UNWOMEN is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality, and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups, and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.