The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries, the IRC seeks to be an operational and inspiring leader in matters of resettlement, asylum, and integration, demonstrating its credibility and expertise as a leading service provider, partner and advocate across the arc of the global displacement crisis.
Across Europe, the IRC delivers programs that address acute humanitarian needs of asylum-seekers and other vulnerable migrants who are newly arrived, stranded or in transit, and programs that address their longer-term integration needs.
In response to the increased number of people on the move from 2015, the IRC began responding in the Balkans to assist vulnerable refugees, asylum seekers and migrants. Since the conflict in Ukraine started and consequent displacement into neighboring countries from February 2022, the programs are established to address the most pressing needs of people on the move across the South-east Europe. IRC continues to use its voice and expertise to increase safe and legal pathways, ensure protection and improve the quality of resettlement, asylum and integration services. The programs are implemented in close partnership with local non-governmental organizations and governmental institutions.
The Program Assistant will be primarily responsible to assist in overseeing projects monitoring and reporting, ensure compliance with IRC and donor regulations, and to support implementation of IRC led projects in South-east Europe. This is a full-time national staff position based in Belgrade and reports to the Program Manager (PM) / Head of Programs.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Provide administrative and logistical support for projects, initiatives, and programs within an NGO environment
• Assist assigned managers and team members by maintaining calendars, receiving and composing communications as correspondence, and replies to inquiries
• Maintain and update databases and records on programming activities for the program monitoring and evaluation purposes
• Manage and responsible for the program e-mails aiming specific tasks such as communications with stakeholders, service providers/tenderers
• Assist with the preparation of status and progress reports by providing information, prepares tables, charts and draft sections of it as required
• Verify the conformance of project terms of reference with workplans and set objectives
• Ensure all grant files are organized and well managed for planning and preparation of donor reports and project monitoring
• Coordinate the translation, proofreading and editing of documents
• Prepare background material, working papers and tables for briefings, review sessions and meetings
• Draft case studies, success stories, program and contextual updates
• Write routine reports and correspondence, and assist with the development of project/program materials
• Organize meeting and events
• Coordinate and disseminate all internal and external material, including publicity and background documents for local events, coordinates appropriate mailings or distribution
• Coordinate registration process and act as contact person for the participants
• Work with and maintains data management and filing for projects/program
• Support finance, grants and program to ensure timely submission of all project narrative and financial reports in accordance with donor requirements and procedures
• Develop and maintain effective and productive working relationships with key stakeholders
• Report on performance and attend regular team meetings aimed at ensuring activities of the team members are coordinated and performed in a timely manner.
• Support business development team in proposal development, included though not restricted to mapping of potential partners, communication with partners, background research, etc.
• Support project implementation including logistics support and organization of IRC-led activities - trainings, meetings, and workshops for partners, service providers, and stakeholders, in line with donor procedures and requirements
• Support Grants team to maintain systems for grant and sub-grant tracking and reporting, and draft sub-agreements, MOUs etc. and ensure that Subgrant agreements reflect the donor agreement
• Support maintaining electronic and hard files for all grants as per IRC practices, an electronic photo library, and all relevant internal and external program information. Ensure all grant files are organized and well managed for planning and preparation of donor reports and project monitoring
• Provide administrative support to the daily implementation of activities as in work plans (production and distribution of documents, translations, practical organization of meetings, invoice control)
• Contribute to the efficient functioning of the Office, in collaboration with the direct project management.
• Perform other related duties and responsibilities to ensure that goals and objectives of projects are met and to support IRC program implementation.
• The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in the IRC Way - Standards for Professional Conduct - Integrity, Service, and Accountability
• The IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti-Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation
• Relevant Degree in management, social sciences or related field
• Fluency in Serbian and English, both verbal and written, required
• An excellent team player with good skills in team work
• Experience working in NGOs and/INGOs is preferred and will be considered as an advantage
• Experience in using monitoring tools and mechanisms to improve advocacy and planning
• Excellent written and oral communication skills, cultural sensitivity, flexibility, ability to improvise, excellent relationship-building skills, effectiveness in representation and liaison with external actors, team player and adaptable to work in a multi-cultural environment
• Ability to work under pressure and to handle sensitive situations diplomatically.
Disclaimer Clause: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skills, effort, duties and responsibilities associated with position.
IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability.
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way - Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.