Planning, Monitoring & Evaluation Officer, NO-A, FT, San Cristobal - Venezuela, LACR (Re-advertisement)
Application deadline 1 year ago: Monday 28 Dec 2020 at 03:55 UTCOpen application form
This is a NO-1 contract. This kind of contract is known as National Professional Officers. It is normally only for nationals. It's a staff contract. More about NO-1 contracts.
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, An Advocate
How can you make a difference?
Monitoring and Evaluation Officer, reporting directly to Programme Coordinator (Deputy Chief Field Office) and matrixly to the Chief PM&E, is accountable for the accomplishment of the stated key end-results by providing professional expertise and assistance in information/data collection, statistics and data analysis, monitoring & evaluation (M&E), preparation of reports, communication and partnership, and in implementing training programmes for national and sub-national data collection, monitoring, evaluation and research capacity building with special attention to the interest, concern, and participation of primary stakeholders.
- Quality assurance of Programme Planning Process
Provide technical support to ensure that the Field Office accomplished the standards of quality in the programming process with local partners and aligned to expected results established in annual work plans.
Duties & Tasks
- Provide technical support as necessary to the process of developing and monitoring Annual Work Plans, including reporting on progress of the equity and gender marker as outlined in the Programme Policy and Procedures Guidance
- Provide technical support as necessary in organising and managing annual planning and annual/mid-year/mid-term/end term country programme reviews ensuring consistency with objectives and goals set out in the CPD.
2. Programme Performance Monitoring
Provide technical support to ensure that the Field Office has quality information to assess progress towards expected results established in annual work plans.
Duties & Tasks
- Provide technical support to programme sections to effectively monitor and report on the intersectoral programme results.
- Contribute to development of programme monitoring framework for the learning zones including technical backstopping to the field team for convergent programming.
- Provide technical support to ensure that monitoring system are in place and that key annual programme indicators are tracked and analysed, including those related to partnerships initiative, and provided regularly to the Field Office team and Country Management Team to guide programme and management decisions.
- Carry out data collection and analysis from field visits, standardising them across programmes, to feed into to programme performance monitoring.
- Keep tracking of follow-up action based on management decisions resulting from Country Office performance monitoring and evaluation.
- Compile monitoring and evaluation information/data, and make them available to programme/planning sections. Contribute to the preparation of management reports (e.g., relevant sections of the annual reports), drawing on monitoring and analysis of key management indicators. Assist in the preparation of reports on systemic issues, good practices or any other analysis or data related to programme implementation and/or evaluation, including programme’s performance, relevance, efficiency, effectiveness, and sustainability; as well as good practices in partnerships and collaborative relationships.
3. Situation Monitoring and Assessment
Provide technical support to ensure that the Field Office and Country Office have timely and accurate measurement of change in conditions in the country or region, including monitoring of socio-economic trends and the country’s wider policy, economic or institutional context, to facilitate planning and to draw conclusions about the impact of programmes or policies.
Duties & Tasks
- Support management of available baseline information on national statistics and key indicators through established databases (e.g., DevInfo) for easy access and use. Prepare field office level statistical reports on the status of children’s and women’s human rights issues, and provide a technical support to global reporting obligations including national reports on progress toward the MDGs, toward CRC fulfilment, and toward CEDAW fulfilment.
- Keep monitoring the situation of children’s and women’s rights with local partners and keep updated with the information of the quality research that address issues and challenges affecting children and their families.
- Support the PM&E team at Country Office level in their using up-to-date information in, inter alia, Situation Analysis, Common Country Assessment, Early Warning Monitoring Systems, Annual Reviews, Mid-Term Reviews, and Annual Reports or other progress reports.
- Provide technical support to ensure that the FO has information necessary for UNICEF to effectively report on and advocate for children’s rights through the appropriate channels.
- Support the FO in collecting and interpreting existing early warning data effectively to guide the adjustment of programmes and operational approaches when and as country contexts deteriorate.
Provide technical support to ensure that a well-prioritised and strategic selection of evaluations at programme or Country Office strategy level is managed in order that each evaluation is designed and carried out with quality process and products and that evaluation results are useful to the intended audience.
Duties & Tasks
- Review and provide technical comments on draft evaluation reports. Contribute to the effective dissemination and sharing of knowledge, findings, conclusions, recommendations and lessons from evaluation to the intended audience as described in the Terms of Reference with a view to improving programme performance and contributing to wider learning. Specifically, assist in feeding evaluation results into key UNICEF programme planning processes including the Annual Reviews and the Mid-Term Reviews, and formulation of the Country Programme Document, the Country Programme Action Plan and the Annual Work Plans. Support effective participatory feedback, including to community and civil society stakeholders.
- Provide assistance in tracking to ensure that a management response to the findings and recommendations of the evaluation is completed, recorded, and followed up for implementation.
5. M&E Capacity Building
Provide technical support to ensure that the monitoring and evaluation capacities of Field Office staff and local partners – government and civil society – are strengthened enabling them to increasingly engage in and lead monitoring and evaluation processes.
Duties & Tasks
- Contribute to the collaboration of an M&E capacity building strategy for local partners and institutions and corresponding activities for implementation in the context of the IMEP or UNDAF M&E plan. Provide technical support for implementation of capacity building strategies as a joint commitment with other developmental partners with special attention to the interest, concern and participation of primary stakeholders.
- In close consultation with senior managers, contribute to formulation of staff capacity development strategy and plans, and exercise effective leadership in implementing them, ensuring that Field Office staffs have the basic knowledge and skills to fulfil their monitoring and evaluation responsibilities, and training is planned and carried out to fill identified gaps.
- Promote and provide support to ensure that Field Office staff and local partners are aware of and have access to UNICEF monitoring and evaluation learning resources.
- Contribute to facilitate that Evaluation capacity of local partner organisations is strengthened through their involvement in evaluation processes and possibly through specific capacity building initiatives.
6. Communication and Partnerships
Provide technical support to ensure that all of the above tasks are carried out and accomplished through effective communication and partnerships, as elaborated below:
Duties & Tasks
- Facilitate or contribute to joint monitoring and evaluation activities with local partners, wherever possible in the context of the above processes.
- Provide technical advice to Field Office staff and local partners on data collection, data management and data analysis for basic monitoring and evaluation.
- Provide synthesis of M&E results to the field office senior management, the Country Management Team and key programme and operations staff.
- Ensure that evaluation recommendations are communicated to the relevant partners for implementation, with advice on the Implementation Plan and follow-up action for future programming.
- Facilitate learning from the results of monitoring and evaluation within the Field Office and more widely within Country Office, UNICEF in the region and globally, as well as among local partners and other key stakeholders, engaging more expertise from knowledge institutions.
- Seek advanced or in-depth technical support on monitoring and evaluation from the Country Office PM&E specialist, Regional M&E Advisors and headquarters advisors on monitoring and evaluation as necessary.
- Collaborate with Country Office PM&E team for overall coordination of priority research, monitoring and evaluation activities.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
- University degree in social sciences, development planning, planning, evaluation, survey implementation, advanced statistical research.
Professional work experience in programme development and implementation including monitoring and evaluation activities as follows:
• One year of relevant professional work experience and fieldwork experience.
- At least one instance of exposure to emergency programming, including preparedness planning. Active involvement in a humanitarian crisis response programme preferred.
- Developing country work experience and/or familiarity with emergency is considered an asset.
- Fluency in English and Spanish is required.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF's values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, and Accountability (CRITA) and core competencies below;
- Demonstrates Self Awareness and Ethical Awareness (1)
- Works Collaboratively with others (1)
- Builds and Maintains Partnerships (1)
- Innovates and Embraces Change (1)
- Thinks and Acts Strategically (1)
- Drive to achieve impactful results (1)
Manages ambiguity and complexity (1)
Specific Technical Knowledge Required
• Knowledge of Project and Activity Evaluation.
• Professional technical knowledge/expertise in Data Collection
• Professional technical knowledge/expertise in Evaluation Process Management, Follow-up on Recommendations and Dissemination of M&E results.
Common Technical Knowledge Required
• Professional technical knowledge/expertise in demography, statistics, and data management.
• Methodology of M&E, theories, standards and models, quantitative/qualitative/mixed methods, validity/reliability testing of data, data analysis and interpretation, and statistical inference methods.
• Professional technical knowledge/expertise in Activity Monitoring & Evaluation, Evaluation Design, data analysis, and reporting.
View our competency framework at
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks. Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.