Operations Assistant (Field Support)
Application deadline 4 days ago: Friday 3 Feb 2023 at 00:00 UTCOpen application form
This is a UNV National Specialist contract. This kind of contract is known as National UN Volunteer. It is normally only for nationals. More about UNV National Specialist contracts.
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Within the delegated authority and under the supervision of Senior Operations Assistant Field Support his/her designated mandated representative(s), the UNV Operations Assistant (Field Support) will:
• Undertake field support activities in an assigned area or areas, such as at airport, transit centre, third-party facility (Immigration Authorities), camp-based operation or sub-office, or in relation to transportation.
• Perform airport services, such as providing custodial care of travel documentation; verifying identities and documentation, including exit permissions, visas, tickets and other items in the travel bag; assisting with airport formalities, including flight arrivals, curb-side assistance, check-in, luggage formalities, immigration procedures, security screening systems and customs clearance; escorting arriving individuals to ground transportation and departing individuals to their gates; visually confirming flights have departed; ensuring individuals with special needs or equipment receive appropriate support; and, as needed, sending notifications using relevant systems.
• Assist individuals at transit centres or third-party facilities, including upon arrival with sign-in, verification of identity, orientation, food and non-food items and room assignments; during their stay with food and non-food items, instructions, briefings, activities and resolution of issues; and upon departure for medical appointments, return travel or onward travel with briefings, luggage support and transition to transportation. Enter and update relevant data in the appropriate systems and ensure vulnerable individuals are assisted in a manner that ensures their safety, security and comfort; report all issues immediately to the appropriate supervisor(s).
• Provide assistance at transit centers and third-party facilities for extended periods of up to 12 hours and during overnight periods, ensuring the needs of individuals are met throughout their stay. Communicate promptly with third-party facility representatives and/or supervisors if issues arise. • Assist in the coordination of transportation from consolidation points, transit centers and third-party facilities, including liaising with service providers, ensuring the identity verification, readiness and organization of individuals being transported, and providing relevant briefings. Assist with baggage sorting, tagging and handling and escort individuals on transportation as needed. Ensure individuals with special needs are provided with appropriate services and report any issues to supervisors immediately. • Provide selection mission support, exit permit support and/or interpretation services for individuals at the airport, in transit centers, camps, consolidation points and third-party facilities or during transport by air, ground or water. • Provide regular feedback on work being accomplished to the Operations Assistant (Team Leader) and/or supervisors and team members and keep supervisors immediately informed of any issues requiring their attention. • Maintain and ensure the confidentiality and integrity of all relevant paperwork in line with standards of conduct and data protection rules. Alert the Operations Assistant (Team Leader) or management of any non-compliance to SOPs or codes of conduct by IOM staff members or partners.
• As an active IOM team member, efficient, timely, responsive, client-friendly and high-quality support rendered to IOM and its beneficiaries in the accomplishment of her/his functions, including: • Contributes to colleagues' learning • Demonstrates interest in improving relevant skills • Demonstrates interest in acquiring skills relevant to other functional areas • Keeps abreast of developments in own professional area • Actively shares relevant information • Clearly communicates, and listens to feedback on changing priorities and procedures • Listens effectively and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience • Identifies issues, opportunities, and risks central to responsibilities • Incorporates gender-related needs, perspectives, and concerns, and promotes equal gender participation • Persistent, calm, and polite in the face of challenges and stress • Treats all colleagues with respect and dignity • Works effectively with people from different cultures by adapting to relevant cultural contexts • Knowledgeable about and promotes IOM core mandate and migration solutions • Actively contributes to an effective, collegial, and agreeable team environment • Contributes to, and follows team objectives • Seeks input and feedback from others • Delegates tasks and responsibilities as appropriate • Actively supports and implements final group decisions • Takes joint responsibility for team's work
• Professionalism • Integrity • Teamwork and respect for diversity • Commitment to continuous learning • Communication: proven interpersonal skills • Flexibility • Genuine commitment towards the principles of voluntary engagement
national and/or international level. experience working in the UN or other international development organization is an asset; • Good knowledge of Word, Excel and Internet. • Excellent oral and written in English language skills; excellent drafting, formulation, reporting skills; • Accuracy and professionalism in document production and editing; • Excellent interpersonal skills; culturally and socially sensitive; ability to work inclusively and collaboratively with a range of partners, including grassroots community members, religious and youth organizations, and authorities at different levels; familiarity with tools and approaches of communications for development; • Ability to work and adapt professionally and effectively in a challenging environment; ability to work effectively in a multicultural team of international and national personnel; • Solid overall computer literacy, including proficiency in various MS Office applications (Excel, Word, etc.) and email/internet; familiarity with database management; and office technology equipment; • Self-motivated, ability to work with minimum supervision; ability to work with tight deadlines; • Desirable: valid national driver’s license and proven ability to drive manual gear 4x4 over rough terrain; (if not applicable, delete) • Sound security awareness; • Have affinity with or interest in X migration volunteerism as a mechanism for durable development, and the UN System.
Cairo, Egypt is a family duty station with a wide range of services (health, education and leisure) and good living conditions. Cairo (and Egypt) has long been a center of the region’s political and cultural life, with high levels of tourism. Like other similar cities, Cairo offers good quality of life in terms of access to shopping centres, banks, medical services, educational facilities, cultural events, etc.
The Arab Republic of Egypt has a unique geographical position in Northeast Africa, at the crossroads of Europe and Asia, on the Mediterranean and Red Sea, and its connection to Sub Saharan Africa through the Nile Valley. The country is defined by desert and the Nile, the longest river on Earth.