National Senior Expert on Statistics and Data Collection and Collation for developing an index
Application deadline 7 months ago: Sunday 24 Apr 2022 at 23:59 UTCOpen application form
This is a National Consultant contract. More about National Consultant contracts.
The “****Modern Parliament for a Modern Armenia” Project is designed to strengthen the National Assembly of the Republic of Armenia (NA) in its new and fundamentally enhanced role within the governance system in carrying out its key functions - legislation, oversight, and representation. With a long-term goal of enhancing the overall effectiveness of the NA as a policy-making institution, the Project is designed to support the NA in taking advantage of modern governance tools and mechanisms with a focus on improved operational quality, transparency, and inclusiveness of parliament and enhanced parliamentary capacity for gender-responsive policymaking.
The Project has a three-stage approach in addressing the enhancement of capacity, transparency, and responsiveness:
- a catalytic stage of a needs assessment, strategic agenda-setting, and piloting of designed approaches
- full-fledged implementation of the strategic agenda, tested approaches and activities
- evaluation of the implementation, policy recommendations, and Project closure.
UNDP MAP Project is supporting the NA to enhance its role and functions in law-making, policymaking, and oversight, in particular:
- Enhancing capacity in law-making, policymaking, and oversight,
- Increasing the transparency and inclusiveness of the legislature,
- Responding to the needs of constituents and strengthening interaction with them.
UNDP is looking for a qualified candidate to provide consultancy support aimed at improving accountability of the National Assembly by fostering a wider and more effective citizens’ participation.
The objective of this assignment is the developing methodology for systemic analysis of the public opinion polls on the parliament and developing an index. The assignment entails regular interactions with the UNDP MAP Project team, data recollection and national matrix as well as the provision of expert advice toward identifying approaches and indicators for parliamentary support aimed at improving the lives of citizens
Duties and Responsibilities
The work will involve the following:
- Review the MAP Project’s public opinion poll methodology and provide guidance to the UNDP MAP Project.
- Develop the structure and a novel index for UNDP MAP project to feed into periodic public opinion polls, crowdsourcing, focus groups and other surveys.
- Prepare the methodology for the Domains for Index calculation:
- receive a comprehensive data set in cooperation with the Statistical,
- prepare list of potential indicators that will be used for construction of index to be agreed,
- identify indicators to be backed up with statistical and administrative data, available from ARMSTAT, UNDP Armenia (studies and research), line ministries and agencies (Cadaster and others). Once the list of indicators is agreed, the data shall be provided by the Statistical Office in the framed data sets to assess the indicators.
- Apply the methodology, calculate Domains for Index.
- Ensure consistency between data reported and analyzed in the various chapters and the overall conclusions.
- Provide support in ensuring data quality, coverage etc.
- Test and validate the methodology.
Prepare a statistical annex that will include:
- A methodological note on the calculation of the Index (including challenges and missing or inaccurate data),
- A presentation of the indexes disaggregated according to the fields.
Turn the collected data, including a bibliography and secondary sources, into a comprehensive concise narrative and graphs/charts/tables.
- Submit draft versions of the regional report on UNDP index to the MAP Project, with a summary of the main activities/tasks undertaken, for review and approval on the next development/drafting steps.
- Cooperate with the UNDP graphic designer to create the graphs, tables, maps, and layout of the report.
- Arrange a virtual session with the MAP partners and donors to present and discuss the final draft of the report.
- Hand over the completed product with an executive summary and supporting attachments.
The senior consultant is responsible for drafting the analysis on the opinion polls and develop a novel index for measuring the contribution and take note of the new programming directions aimed at poverty prevention and strengthening the parliamentary development in Armenia. The length of the report should be about 30 pages long, including maps, tables, charts, footnotes, and bibliography. Payments will be made based on outputs described below.
All the findings, analytical reports belong to UNDP, and only UNDP has the right to transfer the ownership to third parties.
Payment Terms and Deliverables:
The payment will be made upon successful completion of the tasks, submission and duly acceptance of the deliverables by the UNDP country office and project team. Payment will be made in lump sum based on submitted and approved deliverables by the UNDP Governance Team Leader and MAP CTA:
Description of deliverables
Inception report on “Methodology - Domains for Index” is prepared including the review of existing relevant data sources and proposed methodology for analysis
13 May 2022
Report on “UNDP index to the MAP Project” analysis of data from identified sources is prepared including recommendations for further data collection instruments and approved proposed methodology for index development
05 June 2022
Final Report on “UNDP index to the MAP Project” is prepared including analysis of the index
10 June 2022
Lump sum payable modality will be applied for this assignment. Payments will be made only upon confirmation of UNDP on delivering on the contract obligations in a satisfactory manner in the following instalments:
- Deliverable 1: 30 % of the contact amount
- Deliverable 2: 30 % of the contract amount
- Deliverable 3: 40 % of the contract amount
All the outputs should meet the satisfaction of UNDP (as assessed by) according to the following indicators:
- Quality of the documents produced
- Technical competence
- Timeliness of the delivery
- Demonstrates integrity and fairness, professional independence, and ethical standards
- Achieves Results scales up solutions and simplifies processes, balances speed and accuracy in doing work
- Thinks Innovatively: offers new ideas/open to new approaches, demonstrate systemic/integrated thinking
- Able to communicate in a clear, concise, and unambiguous manner both through written and verbal communication.
- Good organizational and time management sense
- Good team player
- Advanced computer skills (especially Microsoft office applications) and the ability to use information technologies as a tool and resource.
Required Skills and Experience
- An advanced university degree (Ph. D. or Master’s degree or equivalent) in mathematics, statistics possibly political science or economics, or any other relevant discipline, is required.
- A minimum of 7 years working experience in the areas of analyzing data or statistics processing, polling, analysis is required.
- Prior work experience in the designing and use of qualitative and quantitative research and analysis methodologies is required.
- Prior published work as author in governance, public participation, political, statistical processing is required.
- Extensive knowledge of the political situation in Armenia and CIS and in developing country contexts is required.
- Experience working with UN agencies, international institutions, government data processing institutions is desirable.
- Computer literacy, including proficiency in document design (MS Word or Google Docs), databases maintenance (MS Excel or Google Sheets) and visual presentations (MS PowerPoint or other tools) is required.
- English and Armenia are the working languages.
- Fluency in English, with excellent drafting and communication skills, is required.
CANDIDATES WILL BE EVALUATED BASED ON THE FOLLOWING METHODOLOGY:
Candidates will be evaluated using a cumulative analysis method taking into consideration the combination of the applicants' technical qualifications, experience and financial proposal.The contract will be awarded to the candidate whose offer has been evaluated and determined as technically responsive/compliant/acceptable to the requirements of the ToR and received the highest cumulative (technical and financial) score out of below defined technical and financial criteria.
Only candidates obtaining a minimum of 49 points in the technical evaluation would be considered for financial evaluation.
Technical Criteria - 70% of total evaluation - max. 70 points
Financial Criteria - 30% of total evaluation - max. 30 points.
DOCUMENTS TO BE INCLUDED WHEN SUBMITTING THE APPLICATION.
- Financial Proposal and Availability form: OFFEROR’S LETTER TO UNDP (A total lump sum option is applicable for this assignment)
- CV shall include Education/Qualification, Processional Certification, Employment Records /Experience
General Conditions of Contract is available here: GENERAL CONDITIONS OF CONTRACT
Note: Please note you can upload only one document to this application (scan all documents that should be included in the application in one single PDF file and upload it).