National Project officer - UNODC
Application deadline 2 months ago: Thursday 8 Sep 2022 at 23:59 UTCOpen application form
This is a SB-4 contract. This kind of contract is known as Service Board / Service Contract. It is normally only for nationals. More about SB-4 contracts.
Within the Regional Programme for the Arab States to Prevent and Combat Crime, Terrorism and Health Threats and to Strengthen Criminal Justice Systems in Line with International Human Rights Standards (2016-2021), the Progamme Office in Algeria is delivering technical assistance related project to furthering the prevention and the combatting of Human trafficking and Migrant smuggling (TIP/SOM) at the national level. The 2030 Agenda helps UNODC to locate and communicate what it does in the larger context of national and global priorities on sustainable development. UNODC, therefore, provides meaningful support in achieving the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) through the application of a results-based approach in programme management. UNODC is implementing the project “Strengthening the framework of the Arab Region to prevent and combat human trafficking and migrant smuggling”, managed by the UNODC Regional Office for the Middle East and North Africa (ROMENA).
The incumbent of this position will assist in the implementation of the different project activities on TIP/SOM. He/she will report to the Head of the UNODC Programme Office in Algeria as the first reporting officer and will also report to the Programme Coordinator (Trafficking in Persons and Migrant Smuggling) located in Cairo, Egypt as the second reporting officer, and is under the overall supervision of the UNODC Regional Representative for the Middle East and North Africa.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the Head of the UNODC Programme Office in Algeria, and within assigned authority, the National Project Officer will assist in the implementation of “Strengthening the framework of the Arab Region to prevent and combat human trafficking and migrant smuggling” and its workplan for Algeria.
This will include:
- Coordinate the planning and implementation of the project activities as outlined in the project document/ workplan;
- Contribute to the implementation of UNODC technical assistance in relation to the project by providing substantive, technical and logistical support;
- Work in close collaboration with National Counterparts, UNODC staff both in the Iraq country office, ROMENA and HQs in order to coordinate activities exchange information and to ensure consistent service delivery;
- Work on programme development with a view to ensure the continuous expansion of ROMENA portfolio on TIP/SOM.
In particular the incumbent will be responsible for the following specific duties :
- Prepare detailed work plans and accompanying budgets and budget revisions for the timely and realistic achievement of the project objectives, and monitor expenditure as per funding agreement;
- Ensure timely project review, revisions, monitoring and completion of related reporting obligations;
- In coordination with the project team in ROMENA, organize all procurement of services as per project activities and in line with UN procurement regulations and financial rules and support quality assurance of deliverables;
- Develop, plan and organize activities on TIP and SOM;
- Maintain and support smooth coordination with national counterparts, ensuring substantive engagement with institutions and structures to facilitate the implementation of UNODC’s project activities;
- Contribute to the delivery of technical assistance pertaining to capacity building at the national level, in accordance with overall strategy and priorities, including in collaboration with the national counterparts;
- Participate in needs assessment consultations and in substantive discussions with the national authorities, and contribute to the drafting of mission/meeting reports;
- Prepare background papers, correspondence with government working papers, mission reports, presentations, policy proposals and ad hoc reports pertaining to law enforcement and justice capacity-building;
- Support the planning, management, coordination and implementation projects activities as outlined in the relevant projects’ documents;
- Support the preparation detailed work plans and accompanying budgets and budget revisions for all project activities, as well as the timely and accurate submission of progress and financial reports;
- Provide support to the timely project review, revisions, monitoring and completion of related reporting obligations;
- Support the monitoring of the implementation of all project activities and report on the progress in close coordination with UNODC ROMENA Operations;
- Oversee the procurement of material and equipment, and supervise their delivery in close coordination with UNDP Algeria and UNODC ROMENA Operations;
- Assist in the organization and conducting of training courses, study tours, official meetings and other project-related activities;
- Assist in the organization and logistical support of expert/project staff missions as required;
- Draft concept notes, project proposals and related budget to ensure continuity of technical assistance and expansion of Programme Office in Algeria and ROMENA portfolio;
- Support the implementation of the UNODC gender strategy;
- Help in managing the communications including produce internal reports and newsletters;
- Familiarize themselves with UMOJA system and its processes;
- Perform other duties as required.
- Professionalism: Has in-depth knowledge and specialization in the field of human trafficking and/or migrant smuggling. Has knowledge of policies and practices in crime prevention and criminal justice, as well as the mandates of the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime. Has knowledge of and specialization in substantive and functional areas with very good research and analytical skills. Is able to identify and contribute to the solution of problems/issues. Has knowledge of various research methodologies and sources, including electronic sources on the internet, intranet and other databases. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- Planning, organizing and managing performance: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- Client orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
Required Skills and Experience
Advanced university degree in criminal justice, law, international relations, human rights, social sciences or relevant areas.
A combination of a first level university degree and a qualifying number of relevant years of experience (two years) might be considered in lieu of the advanced degree.
Four years of relevant, progressively responsible professional experience (six years in case of a first level university degree) in the development, coordination and/or administration of projects, including on human rights, criminal justice, international relations, law enforcement, or related areas is required.
Knowledge of and exposure to anti-human trafficking or migrant smuggling work or relevant areas is an asset.
Work experience with the United Nations system or similar international organization is desirable.
Relevant working experience in providing technical assistance to government authorities in Algeria and/or in the wider North Africa region is desirable.
Fluency in English, Arabic and French i.e. oral and written proficiency, are required. Knowledge of another UN official
language is an advantage.
Experience in developing Monitoring and Evaluation systems for project management and strategic communication skills is desirable.
Excellent reporting and drafting skills for routine correspondence and proficiency in related computer skills (Excel, Word, PowerPoint).
Knowledge of web-based financial management and Enterprise Resources Planning (ERP) financial management systems is desirable.