National Professional Officer (Fishery and Aquaculture Value Chains)
Application deadline 1 year ago: Thursday 25 Feb 2021 at 22:59 UTCOpen application form
The main aim of the FAO country offices, which are headed by an FAO Representative, is to assist governments to develop policies, programmes and projects to achieve food security and to reduce hunger and malnutrition, to help develop the agricultural, fisheries and forestry sectors, and to use their environmental and natural resources in a sustainable manner.
The Regional Office for Africa (RAF) supports regional policy dialogue on food security, fisheries, agriculture and rural development issues, facilitates the emergence of regional partnerships, and supports capacity development and resource mobilization for food security, agriculture and rural development in the region. The FAO Regional Office in collaboration with the FAO Zambia Country Office is implementing a project on the Sustainable Development of Fisheries and Aquaculture Value Chains in ACP Countries.
The post is located in the FAO Representation in Zambia.
The National Professional Officer reports to FAO Representative (FAOR) and the Chief Technical Adviser for the 'Sustainable Development of Fisheries and Aquaculture Value Chains in ACP Countries’ project (FISH4ACP).
Programme development, technical support, coordination and operational assistance, outreach and reporting to partners based on the knowledge of the local conditions, culture, language and institutions of the country of assignment.
Research, technical analysis, and project related services to support the delivery of programme projects, products, and services.
- Researches and analyses technical, social, economic, environmental, institutional, and technology related information, data and statistics and/or related policy issues to support the delivery of programme projects, products and services;
- Produces a variety of technical information, data, statistics and reports as well as input for technical documents and web pages;
- Provides technical support/analysis to various assessments, studies and initiatives and provides technical backstopping to field projects;
- Collaborates in the development of improved/updated tools, systems, processes, and databases;
- Participates in multidisciplinary teams, and/or leads working groups/teams collaborates with other departments and agencies on work groups and committees and promotes best practices;
- Collaborates in, provides technical backstopping to and ensures the quality/effectiveness of capacity development activities within Members such as policy support, organizational development and individual learning events including preparation of related information, learning materials, online tools;
- Promotes knowledge sharing and best practices at international meetings and conferences and influences partners in stakeholder consultations;
- Supports resource mobilization activities in accordance with the FAO Corporate strategy.
- Acts as the Secretary to the FISH4ACP Value Chain Task Force (VC-TF) and organizes meetings and plans agendas;
- Prepares reports every six months for submission to the Project Management Unit (PMU), which will include information on results achieved, constraints and possible solutions, impact evaluation, as well as administrative and financial updates;
- Prepares and executes the FISH4ACP annual country level work plan and budget and oversees the preparation of the country level value chain work plan and budget;
- Develops and maintains partnerships with country and regional stakeholders who can contribute to achieving FISH4ACP value chain objectives;
- Collaborates closely with consultants (national and international) responsible for value chain project tasks and ensures the implementation of a sustainable systems-based value chain approach;
- Coordinates, collates and analyses quarterly value chain progress reports from the value chain task forces to gauge the impact of FISH4ACP interventions;
- Coordinates the knowledge sharing emerging from the value chain to ensure information is widely disseminated within the FISH4ACP project and externally;
- Oversees development and implementation of the FISH4ACP communication strategy at country level;
- Supports and monitors the value chain analysis (VCA) in the first year and the value chain development activities in year two through five of the project, facilitating linkages between stakeholders, including the formation of the VCA teams and value chain task forces, and the organization of value chain stakeholder workshops;
- Contributes to the data collection and analysis, as well as report-writing (as applicable), with a main focus on the strategy and implementation sections;
- Organizes in-person and virtual trainings for fishers and fish farmers/stakeholders with subject matter experts to increase their market readiness and success;
- Identifies challenges and bottlenecks in various fisheries and aquaculture value chains nodes in the country and informs the FAO Representative to better inform, advocacy, decision and policy dialogue;
- Promotes and stimulates the involvement of fisher and fish worker organizations, including women’s organizations, so that they are empowered to take part in relevant decision-making processes and promote their capacity to enhance their income and livelihood security, as well as marketing mechanisms;
- Connects fishers, fish farmers and other relevant stakeholders with local/regional and international experts and resources to help them troubleshoot issues;
- Leads the regular monitoring and evaluation (M&E) of the programme, at country level, throughout the project duration, including the selection of value chain-specific indicators, as well as the regular reporting of progress to the CTA; and
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- National of Zambia;
- Advanced university degree in development economics, fisheries economics or marine affairs with a specialization in fisheries, aquaculture or natural resource management and/or governance environmental policy or other field related to fisheries;
Five years of relevant experience in fisheries and aquaculture development, trade, fishery products safety and quality, value chain development, field of statistics and data management of fisheries, or related field;
Working knowledge of English;
- Working knowledge of the local language
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is desirable;
Extent and relevance of experience in practical sustainable value chain development, technical cooperation-related activities, policy advice and analysis relating to food and nutrition security, fisheries and aquaculture, agriculture and rural development, monitoring and evaluation of policies and programmes and/or providing technical support and advice on institutional capacity building processes;
- Extent and relevance of experience in establishing and maintaining partnerships with the United Nations (UN) agencies, NGOs as well as donors, private sector, universities, research institutions and government institutions and agencies;
Depth of familiarity with fisheries and aquaculture sector in developing countries, and extent and relevance of experience in programme/project management, value chain analysis, sustainable fisheries and aquaculture management;
Extent and relevance of experience in project coordination and an understanding of the purpose and functions of technical programmes, operational guidelines and programme/project management procedures, preferably those adopted by the United Nations or FAO would be considered an asset;
- Extent and relevance of experience in editing and publishing communication products related to fisheries and/or value chain activities..