Application deadline in 2 days: Sunday 29 Jan 2023 at 23:59 UTCOpen application form
This is a LICA Specialist-9 contract. This kind of contract is known as Local Individual Contractor Agreements. It is normally only for nationals. It's an external contract. It usually requires 2 years of experience, depending on education. More about LICA Specialist-9 contracts.
Background Information - Job-specific
The EU for Clean Air Project Project, funded by the European Union (EU) with EUR 10 million through the Instrument for Pre-accession Assistance (IPA), is designed to contribute to the improvement of air quality in North Macedonia and consequently decrease risks to human health. With the objective to contribute to the reduction of emissions of pollutants in four large urban centres in North Macedonia, the Project will have a duration of 48 months, with an implementation period of 36 months, and followed by the defects notification period (DNP) of up to 12 months. The United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS) has been selected as the implementing partner.
The Project is aligned with the EU and national legislative and strategic frameworks, as well as the needs deriving from the health problems and economic consequences air pollution causes. It provides a significant contribution to the country’s environmental protection and green development, being one of the Government’s priorities for 2020-2024, and is contextualised with the EU Green Deal (EUGD), the Economic and Investment Plan (EIP) and the Green Agenda (GA) for the Western Balkans. The Project will contribute to the progress made towards meeting the EU accession criteria, primarily under the Chapter 27 (Environment) and to the achievement of the relevant United Nations (UN) Sustainable Development Goals.
The Project will achieve five results, the first one being related to improving heating systems through the replacement of obsolete and inefficient boilers in 70 public buildings in the cities of Skopje, Bitola, Kumanovo, and Tetovo. The second result entails the procurement of six environmentally friendly buses that will reduce emissions in the City of Skopje. Furthermore, six thousand tree seedlings will be procured as a part of the third result, in order to be planted in Skopje, Bitola, Tetovo and Kumanovo. The fourth Project result will support development of the Feasibility Study for the Further Expansion of the Skopje District Heating System (DHS) and the implementation of a public awareness raising campaign. Finally, within the fifth result, the Project will ensure procurement and the delivery and installation of three air quality monitoring stations.
Under the supervision and direction of the Project Manager (PM), the Mechanical Engineer will be responsible to ensure efficient and effective delivery of engineering related work packages and products. In performing her/his work, the incumbent will promote a client, quality, and results-oriented approach, and will work closely with the Project team members and Support Services to ensure consistent and efficient progress.
The Mechanical Engineer will be responsible for the following activities:
- Develop inputs to Project plans related to engineering activities. Ensure implementation of the agreed plans, within the set tolerances
- Ensure delivery of engineering outputs within the set targets for time, cost, quality, and benefits. Take timely action to prevent potential delays and/or cost overruns
- Engage with the beneficiaries and other Project’s stakeholders, while ensuring that the PM is consistently and timely consulted and informed
- Lead on development of scope of works or specifications related to Project’s engineering products. Provide engineering advice in all stages of the public procurement processes.
- Review and or redacting the tender dossiers, with focus to the technical documents: drawings, BoQ, technical specifications and standards
- Participate in procurement or human resources related evaluation processes as needed
- With guidelines from PM and responsible Support Services colleagues, ensure respect of UNOPS financial, procurement, and other rules and regulations in conduct of activities
- In cooperation with Support Services, participate in management of contracts related to engineering products and monitor contractors’ performance
- Organise monitoring of works to ensure progress and compliance with the technical documentation and relevant codes and standards
- Contribute to identification and assessment of risks and implement risk responses in accordance with the Risk Management Strategy and agreed responses
- Contribute to preparation of Project reports, as envisaged by the Project Agreement, while in particular considering progress against the indicators in the Results Framework Matrix
- Contribute to identification and sharing of the Project’s lessons learned and best practices
- Contribute to efficient and effective use of Project and UNOPS tools for monitoring of the Project’s performance, outputs and benefits
- Manage the Project engineering personnel, including on call engineers/consultants
- Support the Project’s communication and visibility activities, including but not limited to preparation of inputs for briefings
- Prepare minutes from project meetings
- Ensure archive related to engineering work packages is established and maintained
- Perform other duties as may be reasonably required and in line with the incumbent’s scope of services above
Education - Advanced/Masters degree in Mechanical Engineering is required. - A Bachelor's degree with two additional years of relevant experience may be considered in lieu of the master’s degree
Work Experience - Minimum two years of relevant professional experience as mechanical engineer on site is required
Language Requirements - Fluency in English and Macedonian is required - Knowledge of Albanian would be an asset
Driving licence and ability to travel independently is required
Valid graduate engineer’s licences issued by the Chamber of Engineers of North Macedonia is required
Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.(for levels IICA-2, IICA-3, LICA Specialist- 10, LICA Specialist-11, NOC, NOD, P3, P4 and above) Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles. Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role). Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries. Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements. Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving. Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
Contract type, level and duration
********This is a local position, it is therefore open to nationals of North Macedonia and to individuals who have a valid residence/work permit.********
Contract type: ICA Contract level: Local ICA Specialist - ICS 9 Contract duration: Ongoing ICA – Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link: https://www.unops.org/english/Opportunities/job-opportunities/what-we-offer/Pages/Individual-Contractor-Agreements.aspx
- Please note that UNOPS does not accept unsolicited resumes.
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process, which involves various assessments.
- UNOPS embraces diversity and is committed to equal employment opportunity. Our workforce consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages, races, gender identities, sexual orientations, and abilities. UNOPS seeks to sustain and strengthen this diversity to ensure equal opportunities as well as an inclusive working environment for its entire workforce.
- Qualified women and candidates from groups which are underrepresented in the UNOPS workforce are encouraged to apply. These include in particular candidates from racialized and/or indigenous groups, members of minority gender identities and sexual orientations, and people with disabilities.
- We would like to ensure all candidates perform at their best during the assessment process. If you are shortlisted and require additional assistance to complete any assessment, including reasonable accommodation, please inform our human resources team when you receive an invitation.
Terms and Conditions
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post.
- For retainer contracts, you must complete a few Mandatory Courses (they take around 4 hours to complete) in your own time, before providing services to UNOPS. For more information on a retainer contract here.
- All UNOPS personnel are responsible for performing their duties in accordance with the UN Charter and UNOPS Policies and Instructions, as well as other relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, all personnel must demonstrate an understanding of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in a manner consistent with UN core values and the UN Common Agenda.
- It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential personnel. Recruitment in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Background information – UNOPS Serbia
The UNOPS Republic of Serbia Multi-Country Office (RSMCO) is implementing 10 projects in Serbia, North Macedonia, and Montenegro.
In Serbia, where UNOPS has been active since 2000, and North Macedonia and Montenegro where UNOPS works since 2017, the organisation provides support in demanding socio-economic reforms and facilitating accession to the European Union. The projects focus on sustainable socio-economic development, good governance, social cohesion, environment and emergency response. The projects are implemented with funding from the European Union (EU), the Kingdom of Norway, the Governments of Switzerland, Sweden and North Macedonia, and UNHCR.
All projects have gender equality as a transversal theme and have been contextualised within the broader Sustainable Development Goals frameworks and objectives.