Legal aid officer (part-time)
Application deadline in 3 days: Monday 4 Dec 2023 at 22:59 UTCOpen application form
This is a DRC - National contract. More about DRC - National contracts.
The Danish Refugee Council is currently looking for a highly qualified Legal Aid Officer with project coordination skills for the implementation of two projects in support of homeless people and women with migratory background in Torino, Italy.
About the job
DRC Italy works to provide services that range from legal counselling to protection monitoring and inclusion of third-country nationals in Italy. The main areas of intervention include legal aid, social housing and socio-economic integration of third-country nationals, social cohesion, health and protection of vulnerable categories, mainly irregular migrants, asylum seekers and refugees.
The legal aid officer will work on two different projects in close cooperation with local partners providing socio-legal orientation to the beneficiaries supported by a linguistic and cultural mediator.
Your main duties and responsibilities will be:
Legal aid (75%)
- Provide adequate and timely legal aid counselling to the projects’ beneficiaries (asylum seekers, refugees, vulnerable groups, women with migratory background), including information sharing and referral to relevant public bodies;
- Prepare information materials for the Projects’ beneficiaries.
Project coordination (25%)
- Ensure overall coordination of Project activities with timely and quality delivery of outputs under the supervision of the Programme Manager;
- Coordinate any procurement procedure required by the project in accordance with DRC Supply Chain Policies and in collaboration with the Programme Manager;
- Ensure quality Project monitoring and reporting in adherence with DRC standards and in close collaboration with the Monitoring and Evaluation focal point and the Programme Manager;
- Ensure good coordination with partners and facilitating communication and information sharing on project implementation and development;
- Supervise partners' activities, ensuring full adherence to the timeline and the deliverables set by the monitoring tools;
- Represent DRC Italy in relevant internal and external meetings related to the project;
- Ensure that the donor communication and visibility requirements are implemented;
- Perform any other duty as requested by the Programme Manager.
To be successful in this role we expect you to meet the following criteria:
- Master’s degree in Law, Law studies or Development Studies / Social Science with relevant additional courses in legal aid for migrants and refugees.
- Minimum 3 years of working experience in Legal Aid/Protection projects at field level working with refugees, asylum seekers and migrants in Italy.
- Demonstrated project management experience in legal aid / protection projects for a I/NGO.
- Excellent coordination and collaboration skills, proven by participation in multi-stakeholder projects.
- Strong planning, organization, and problem-solving skills with the ability to work both independently and within a team in a demanding work environment.
- Computer literacy (Microsoft Word and Excel).
- Proficiency in English and Italian with excellent writing skills.
Knowledge of French is an asset.
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: You uphold and promote the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to our values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment.
Contract length: 6 months, part-time (30 hours)
Designation of Duty Station: Turin
Start date: January 2024
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for DRC Italy and with Italian Labour law.
For questions regarding the vacancy please contact Silvia Corti, [email protected].
All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English. A****pplications sent by email will not be considered.
Closing date for applications: 04 December 2023
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website drc.ngo.
Note: Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply.