International Expert in Human Rights and new Technologies (SSA)
Application deadline 2 months ago: Sunday 2 Oct 2022 at 00:00 UTCOpen application form
This is a Consultancy contract. More about Consultancy contracts.
The OSCE Presence in Albania is implementing the Unified-budgetary project “Strengthening Human Rights Protection in Albania–”. The project aims to support national authorities, institutions, and citizens to both develop greater awareness regarding international human rights standards and OSCE commitments as well as become better equipped to protect and promote human rights standards in Albania. It will contribute towards the achievement of SDG 10- Reduced Inequalities and SDG 16 – Peace, Justice and Stronger Institutions.
The project will particularly focus on the implications that new technologies can have in respect to the State’s obligations of promoting and protecting human rights.
In this context the Presence intends to initiate support aimed at enhancing the preparedness of State Institutions and citizens of Albania to anticipate any human rights risks that may result from the use of such new technologies
The Project will focus on the intersection of new technologies and human rights. Under this component the Presence is seeking one International expert to assess and map the emerging trends and issues in the field that might affect the full enjoyment of Human Rights in Albania and present the findings during an event where relevant Albanian authorities will be convened.
Objective of Assignment:
The Presence’s Rule of Law and Human Rights Department is looking for one International Human Rights Expert with specialization in new technologies, to assess the emerging trends and issues in the field with particular reference to: a) human rights and fundamental freedoms in the digital age b) challenges and opportunities for data protection and c) opportunities and challenges of artificial intelligence. The selected expert, will present the findings during an event where relevant Albanian authorities will be convened. The international expert will work remotely and will present the finding of his/her assessment during an event to be held in Tirana
Tasks and Responsibilities:
Under the guidance of the Project Manager, the expert will:
- Participate in a conference call organized by the Presence’s staff to discuss the specific structure, content, of the assessment.
- Preparing and submitting the assessment which shall include three chapters: respectively on” 1) human rights and fundamental freedoms in digital age 2) challenges and opportunities for data protection, and 3) challenges and opportunities of artificial intelligence. The assessment should be presented in minimum 60 pages, Times New Roman format, 12 font, 1.5 line spacing, English language. Further details and/or modification of the material will be agreed upon with the Project staff;
- Participating in a presentation event where the findings of the assessment will be shared with relevant Albanian Institutions.
Under Task/Responsibilities No. 1 and 2, by 1 October 2022, submitting a draft assessment and by 15 October the final mapping assessment.
Under Task/Responsibilities No.3 Participating, by tentatively 7 and 11 November 2022, in the Presentation, to present and discuss with the audience the findings of the study assessment
- First-level university degree in law, political science, international relations, social sciences, computer science or engineering, preferably with specialization in human rights and technology;
- At least 5 years of relevant professional experience in the field of human rights including experience at the international level
- In-depth knowledge of issues related to human rights and technology;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English
Remuneration will be based on the selected consultant's/expert's qualifications, experience, the tasks and deliverables for this position and in accordance with the OSCE established rates.
If you wish to apply for this position, please use the OSCE's online application link found under https://vacancies.osce.org/.
The OSCE retains the discretion to re-advertise/re-post the vacancy, to cancel the recruitment or to offer an appointment with a modified job description or for a different duration.
Only those candidates who are selected to participate in the subsequent stages of recruitment will be contacted.
The OSCE is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all religious, ethnic and social backgrounds to apply to become a part of the Organization.
Candidates should be aware that OSCE officials shall conduct themselves at all times in a manner befitting the status of an international civil servant. This includes avoiding any action which may adversely reflect on the integrity, independence and impartiality of their position and function as officials of the OSCE. The OSCE is committed to applying the highest ethical standards in carrying out its mandate. For more information on the values set out in OSCE Competency Model, please see https://jobs.osce.org/resources/document/our-competency-model.
Please be aware that the OSCE does not request payment at any stage of the application and review process.
- Issued by: OSCE Presence in Albania
- Requisition ID: RUL000019
- Contract Type: Special Service Agreement (SSA) / Consultant
- Grade: No grade
- Job Type: Consultant
- Number of posts: 1
- Location: OSCE Presence in Albania, Tirana
- Issue Date: Aug 16, 2022
- Closing Date: Oct 2, 2022
- Job Field: Rule of Law