Intern (Cultural Heritage)
Application deadline 1 year ago: Wednesday 14 Apr 2021 at 23:59 UTCOpen application form
This is a Internship contract. More about Internship contracts.
Background Information - Job-specific
The Austria Multi-Country Office (AUMCO) was set up in August 2019 as a part of the UNOPS Europe & Central Asia Region (ECR). Specifically, AUMCO aims to enable achievement of Agenda 2030 and the Paris Agreement through global programmes and tailored interventions in the Balkans, South Caucasus, and Central Asia, focused on:
- Project Management (full service, back on track)
- HR and Transactional Services
- Grant Management
- Technical and Advisory Services
UNOPS, through ECR AUMCO, is partnering with the Government of Albania and the European Union, as well as with the UN system, to facilitate the post-earthquake rehabilitation and reconstruction of a large number of key cultural heritage sites, museums, and cultural hubs and to promote tourism and economic development of the sites.
On 26 November 2019, Albania was hit by its most deadly earthquake in a century. The earthquake measured 6.4 on the Richter scale and caused significant casualties and property damage, resulting in 51 deaths, over 1000 injured, and nearly 14,000 people displaced. To measure and assess the economic damage, a Post Disaster Needs Assessment (PDNA) was conducted, estimating the total economic losses at nearly EUR 1Billion.
The PDNA documented the destruction of public and private infrastructure. Of particular concern was the destruction of cultural heritage monuments and property, as 53 cultural heritage properties were significantly damaged by the earthquake. This project seeks to remediate the effect of the earthquake on Albania’s cultural heritage through the rehabilitation of monuments, as well as contribute to Albania’s socio-economic recovery through the construction and upgrade of these sites. It will be important also to support improvements in the capacity of institutions responsible for the management of these cultural monuments and sites to better accommodate tourism. A final outcome of the project is the effective communication of project results to the wider public and developing and implementing an advocacy platform resulting in better recognition of the important role of culture in the social and economic well-being of Albanian
Under the direct supervision of the Cultural Heritage Advisor, the intern’s role would be to support the activities aimed at supporting the process of economical and social development evolve around and on restored sites. The intern shall further assist in providing project management support. The intern shall undertake the following responsibilities:
- Assisting the Cultural Heritage Advisor in actioning and monitoring the interventions around and on identified cultural heritage sites for intervention
- Assisting the Cultural Heritage Advisor in providing technical support to project and country team
- Contribute to the development of high quality communication and documentation which provides guidance on key processes/requirements/risk management related to rehabilitation of cultural heritage
- Contribute to the researching and analysing information on projects, partners, and stakeholders relevant to UNOPS ongoing program
- Meeting preparation - Support the preparation of briefing materials ahead of meetings between UNOPS and partners (e.g. talking points, background notes, bios, data sheets, etc.) and support the drafting of minutes of the meetings.
- Minimum First level university degree (Bachelor’s or equivalent) in Engineering, Architecture, or related field is required.
- Must be currently enrolled in a university programme such as Bachelor, Masters or PhD. (or the equivalent) or have graduated from such studies within three years prior to the date of the application of the internship programme.
- Master’s level qualification in engineering, architecture or project management field is desirable.
- Knowledge of PRINCE2 approach to project management is an asset
- Professional experience in the field of engineering, design, construction, project management and/or international development is desirable.
- Strong computer literacy in recognised standard written reporting, presentation, and spreadsheet software is required.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and attention to details.
- Must be tactful, discreet, diplomatic and possess the ability to communicate with individuals at all levels of an organization.
- Flexibility and adaptability to work under pressure and able to manage multiple priorities.
- Willingness to travel.
- Ability to work in an international/ multicultural environment.
- Ability to work independently and with a strong commitment to teamwork.
- Proactive mindset, creative thinking, and strong problem solving are important attributes.
- Knowledge of and familiarity with countries in the Asia and Pacific region is an asset.
- Fluency in both written and oral English is required.
Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.(for levels IICA-2, IICA-3, LICA Specialist- 10, LICA Specialist-11, NOC, NOD, P3, P4 and above) Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles. Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role). Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries. Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements. Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving. Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: Internship Contract level: Intern Contract duration: 6 months initially (extendable by another 6 months based on satisfactory performance and budget availability)
For more details about UNOPS Internships, please follow this link: https://www.unops.org/english/Opportunities/job-opportunities/what-we-offer/Pages/Individual-Contractor-Agreements.aspx
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- For retainer contracts, you must complete a few Mandatory Courses (around 4 hours) in your own time, before providing services to UNOPS.
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.