HR Specialist (Performance Management)
Application deadline 1 month ago: Wednesday 31 Aug 2022 at 23:59 UTCOpen application form
This is a IICA-2 contract. This kind of contract is known as International Individual Contractor Agreements. It is normally internationally recruited only. It's an external contract. It usually requires 5 years of experience, depending on education. More about IICA-2 contracts.
Background Information - Job-specific
The United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS) is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners' peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Mandated as a central resource of the United Nations, UNOPS provides sustainable project management, procurement and infrastructure services to a wide range of governments, donors and United Nations organizations. With over 9,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, UNOPS offers its partners the logistical, technical and management knowledge they need, where they need it. By implementing around 1,000 projects for our partners at any given time, UNOPS makes significant contributions to results on the ground, often in the most challenging environments.
The People and Performance Group (PPG) is a strategic HR unit, helping UNOPS empower people, drive organizational excellence and manage change across the organization in order to help UNOPS deliver on its strategic intent.
We are a hard-working and committed team, bringing together experienced professionals with strategic HR management, including talent management and recruitment, learning and development, HR policy, organizational design and personnel well-being expertise – all of us having a passion for achieving results and building innovation into our way of doing business.
This role is introduced as part of the organsiations’ effort to strenthen administrative mechanisms for UNOPS Individual Contractor Agreement (ICA) holders to challenge administrative decisions affecting their contractual rights and obligations.
The Human Resources Specialist - Performance Management will contribute to the work of the talent management team by overseeing performance rebuttal process and case management, in adherence to the relevant UNOPS frameworks, values and principles. The role also includes coordination related activities, including record management, mediation support and preventive measures.
The incumbent will be required to work independently, under the guidance of the Head of Talent Management, and the PPG Deputy Director. The role requires coordination with personnel at different levels and functions across the organization including HQ, Regional and Country Offices. The incumbent will liaise with the relevant focal points as needed in Internal Grievances, Ethics Office, Internal Audit and investigation and will work closely with relevant subject matter experts in the team - Gender, Diversity & Inclusion Specialist, HR Specialist - Performance Management and Career Development and others.
The role requires an ability to objectively and professionally manage sensitive cases, involving interactions with a wide range of stakeholders. As part of the case management, the incumbent of this role will be required to ensure appropriate record management.
Summary of functions:
- Individual Performance Management
- Management of Performance rebuttal
- Performance mediation support and conflict prevention measures
Under the overall supervision of the Head of Talent Management, the main functional responsibilities will include:
Individual performance management - Support the performance management process design and management in UNOPS - Pro-actively lead activities around performance planning and evaluation advice, incl. performance management mediation - Design and lead progressive initiatives around capacity building of the global workforce, incl. design, planning and facilitation. - In liaison with the other subject matter experts, contribute to the design, implementation and management of capacity building efforts related to effective leadership and personnel development, and talent management initiatives to address performance gaps. Provide thematic training/ workshops in collaboration with other Subject Matter Experts. - Contribute to the design of communication material and design campaigns around Performance management - Acting as a pro-active subject matter expert for senior management and other relevant stakeholders as required
Management of Performance rebuttal
- Contribute to the design and its implementation of UNOPS performance rebuttal mechanisms.
- Manage end to end performance rebuttal case management to ensure smooth and timely processing of performance rebuttal cases.
- Ensure timely and appropriate assignment of the rebuttal reviewers and completion of the review, in line with UNOPS Policy
- Coordinate with the relevant counterparts as required (UNOPS Internal Grievances, Ethics Office, Legal Group, internal and external audit on internal grievances matters, as required).
- Maintain a pool of performance rebuttal reviewers and ensure proper contract management for those resources.
- Ensure availability of the necessary documents and appropriate record management
- Support preparation of the relevant communication and reports
- Keep the Senior Management informed on critical issues concerning the implementation of the performance rebuttal process; make recommendations to Senior Management on key decisions points regarding this process; and seek guidance from Senior Management on critical issues.
- Provide sound advice and support to management and personnel on the effective handling of requests for performance rebuttals.
- Ensure targeted communication and capacity building in relation to the Performance Rebuttal process
- Proactively advise and counsel as well as proactively educate managers and personnel in respect to relevant HR policies.
Lead initiatives for introducing/maintaining best practices, including benchmarking relevant policies and practices with similar organizations or market leaders, as relevant
Performance mediation support and conflict prevention measures
Designs and implements effective preventative measures to avoid Performance Management related conflicts.
- If conflict arises, facilitate conversations with all involved parties to gather information and help the opposing parties work through their differences.
- Provide advice and support to management and personnel on mediation support and conflict prevention.
- Ensure timely and efficient conflict management support related to the outcome of the rebuttal decision as well as preventive conflict management measures.
- Provide guidance and advice to the managers and personnel on necessary steps for managing underperformance effectively while ensuring enabling, inclusive and positive work environment, addressing the needs of a diverse workforce, mental health and staff wellbeing;
- Explore with personnel facing conflicts their options and different avenues open to them , taking into account the interests, rights and obligations.
- Develop a pool of relevant resources that will contribute to the mediation efforts, analysis and resolution of performance related conflicts have been identified.
- Identifies and analyses recurrent performance related conflicts arising from the cases handled, trends observed and lessons learned to suggest ongoing improvement of the process.
Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization. Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles. Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role). Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries. Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements. Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving. Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
Education: Advanced university degree preferably in law and/or HR Management, or first university degree with extensive experience in a similar position.
Professional certification in Human Resource Management would be an asset.
Experience: At least 5 years of progressively responsible experience in Performance Management, appeal mechanism, interpersonal conflict, employer-employee claims, or equivalent.
Working within the UN system, international organisations or similar institutions is a distinct asset.
Excellent communication and analytical skills.
Field experience is highly desirable.
Language Requirements: Full working knowledge of English is required.
Full working knowledge in either Spanish or French is a distinct advantage
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: IICA Contract level: IICA-2 Contract duration: Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance.
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link: https://www.unops.org/english/Opportunities/job-opportunities/what-we-offer/Pages/Individual-Contractor-Agreements.aspx
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time.
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- UNOPS embraces diversity and it is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all its employees and encourages qualified candidates to apply irrespective of race, colour, national origin, ethnic or social background, genetic information, gender, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, religion or belief, or disability.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- For retainer contracts, you must complete a few Mandatory Courses (around 4 hours) in your own time, before providing services to UNOPS.
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
- All UNOPS personnel are responsible for performing their duties in accordance with the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNOPS Policies and Instructions, as well as other relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, all personnel must demonstrate an understanding of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in a manner consistent with UN core values and the UN Common Agenda.
- It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS – an operational arm of the United Nations – supports the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) by successfully implementing its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian, and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve peace and sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management, and human resources.
Working with us We are proud of our people. With a wealth of knowledge and skills in various disciplines – engineering, finance, human resources, ICT, leadership, project management, procurement, and more – they help tackle some of the biggest challenges of our time. Their work around the world supports progress toward the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
At UNOPS, we offer a range of short- and long-term opportunities in various environments and duty stations – from Denmark and Kenya to Mexico, Switzerland, Myanmar, Senegal, Uganda, and many more.
Diversity With over 5,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,400 personnel recruited on behalf of our partners, spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced and diverse labor force — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs. We continually strive to maintain our gender-balanced workplace. We encourage qualified underrepresented groups as per UNOPS Gender, Diversity, and Inclusion Strategy to apply for our vacancies.
Work life harmonization UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.