Health, Safety, Social and Environmental (HSSE)Associate
Application deadline in 7 days: Wednesday 17 Aug 2022 at 23:59 UTCOpen application form
This is a LICA-7 contract. This kind of contract is known as Local Individual Contractor Agreements. It is normally only for nationals. It's an external contract. It usually requires 7 years of experience, depending on education. More about LICA-7 contracts.
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS – an operational arm of the United Nations – supports the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) by successfully implementing its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian, and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve peace and sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management, and human resources.
Working with us We are proud of our people. With a wealth of knowledge and skills in various disciplines – engineering, finance, human resources, ICT, leadership, project management, procurement, and more – they help tackle some of the biggest challenges of our time. Their work around the world supports progress toward the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
At UNOPS, we offer a range of short- and long-term opportunities in various environments and duty stations – from Denmark and Kenya to Mexico, Switzerland, Myanmar, Senegal, Uganda, and many more.
Diversity With over 5,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,400 personnel recruited on behalf of our partners, spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced and diverse labor force — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs. We continually strive to maintain our gender-balanced workplace. We encourage qualified underrepresented groups as per UNOPS Gender, Diversity, and Inclusion Strategy to apply for our vacancies.
Work life harmonization UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
The UNOPS Hub in Amman implements projects on behalf of UN agencies and bilateral donors and in close coordination with the Government and national authorities. With an established presence across the region, the office runs operations including large-scale procurement, project development and technical management, and provides financial, human resources and infrastructure-related services.
The functional objective of UNOPS Hub in Amman is to deliver its projects in an efficient and effective manner and in line with the principles, rules and regulations of UNOPS, to achieve the outcomes sought by the clients.
UNOPS has been active in Lebanon since 2015, delivering projects in support of the Government of Lebanon and partners. Since the explosion at the Beirut Port on 4 August 2020, UNOPS has significantly scaled up its presence in the country to support the humanitarian response and both its presence and portfolio have undergone expansion
The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
UNOPS is committed to achieving a fully diverse workforce.
Background Information - Job-specific
The Project aims to To increase the operational capacities and resilience of the national health system in Homs to provide secondary healthcare.
The Homs Health Directorate requested UNOPS to support the rehabilitation of one of the annexes of Homs Grand Hospital. This annex building consists of three stories:
The basement: operation room, X-rays units, storages, water treatment units and medical gasses room
The ground floor: emergency unit, kidney unit and outpatients' clinics.
The first floor: 16 rooms for in-patients each with a separate bathroom.
The building needs to be rehabilitated to mainly provide medical services for a kidney unit and an emergency unit, through UNOPS’s intervention, the hospital will be able to provide secondary healthcare services, particularly to increase the capacity of trauma and surgery services by restoring emergency unit, operation rooms, inpatients wards with the necessary facilities such as kitchen/laundry rooms for in-patient treatment.
During the 24 months duration of the project, the main activities of the project is to rehabilitate Homs Grand Hospital - Annex 1 including the Procurement, installation and commissioning of generators and solar photovoltaic (PV) hybrid systems to supply electricity at the hospital, in addition to the Procurement and installation of a medical waste management system to treat medical and infectious waste.
The Health Safety, Social and Environmental (HSSE) Associate will report directly to the Project Manager and will ensure full coordination with the Hub HSSE Specialist,Quality Senior Engineer , Programme team and Projects’ teams members.
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Project Manager, the main duties of the HSSE Associate is to facilitate compliance with UNOPS Health, Safety, Social and Environmental (HSSE) systems and support the project team implement effective risk control for hazards resulting from project implemented in Syria. .
The HSSE Associate will also support implementation of environmental management activities, and to provide guidance , and support monitoring of measures needed to minimize hazards and environmental impacts in project implementation.
The incumbent needs to support the project team establish a safe workplace according to best international industry practice, UNOPS health and safety management systems, as well as fostering a culture of health and safety throughout the project lifecycle. Specifically, He/ She will be responsible for the following duties:
HSSE Planning, Coordination, and Implementation
- Prepare all HSSE documents under UNOPS requirements for review and authorization by the project manager,
- Review HSSE management plans regularly and ensure these are up to date at all times.
- Support risk assessments and oversee the implementation of effective preventative and corrective measures on HSSE for all project activities
- Plan and conduct workplace inspections and support the Project Manager in follow-up with responsible personnel to ensure findings timeous closure.
Support the Project Manager in raising awareness of HSSE issues among project staff, contractors, and other stakeholders.
Support in incident reporting for project manager's, investigation, follow-up and closure of all HSSE incidents and action items.
- Develop monthly HSSE reporting and analyse leading indicators to enable informed decision-making.
HSSE Monitoring and Reporting
Conduct regular field inspection and monitoring visits to the project sites to identify possible areas/issues of non-conformity and their timeous closure. (e.g. unsafe work at heights and in excavations),
Organise regular HSSE meetings with both contractor and UNOPS project leadership.
Support project Manager in ensuring full compliance with all UNOPS HSSE requirements throughout the project lifecycle
Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles. Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role). Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries. Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements. Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving. Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
Education: High school diploma required. A Bachelor’s degree preferably in health and safety management, natural science, engineering ,or relevant fields is an asset. A Master’s degree from a recognized University is desired
Experience: - With a high school degree, a minimum of 7 years of progressively responsible experience in Health, Safety, Social and Environmental (HSSE) management is required, with at least 1 year in managing and implementing projects’ related health and safety matters. - Experience in Health and Safety risk assessments, inspections, incident investigation, and training facilitation is required; - Experience with third party certification audits for Health & Safety and Environment Management is desired; - Experience of working at UN agencies or other international Humanitarian/ Development organizations is highly desired. - High proficiency with computers, and other software/ platforms related to the position's field of expertise is required. - Experience in working with the G-Suite platform including, Google Drive, Google Calendar, Gmail, Google Sheets, Docs, and Slides is an asset.
Language: Full fluency in Arabic and English is required.
Certification: Certification in Occupational Health and Safety, such as NEBOSH IGC1, IGC2, GC3 and OHSAS 18001 is desired.
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: Local ICA Contractual modality Contract level: LICA 7 Contract duration: Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link: https://www.unops.org/english/Opportunities/job-opportunities/what-we-offer/Pages/Individual-Contractor-Agreements.aspx
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time.
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- UNOPS embraces diversity and it is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all its employees and encourages qualified candidates to apply irrespective of race, colour, national origin, ethnic or social background, genetic information, gender, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, religion or belief, or disability.
- The position is open for national only.
- Homs is a non family duty station.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- For retainer contracts, you must complete a few Mandatory Courses (around 4 hours) in your own time, before providing services to UNOPS.
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
- All UNOPS personnel are responsible for performing their duties in accordance with the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNOPS Policies and Instructions, as well as other relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, all personnel must demonstrate an understanding of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in a manner consistent with UN core values and the UN Common Agenda.
- It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.