Head of Talent
Application deadline 2 months ago: Wednesday 30 Nov 2022 at 23:00 UTCOpen application form
GrowthAfrica is the continent’s leading impact accelerator and we are looking for new talent to join our quest to grow the continent’s promising start-ups and impact enterprises into prosperous and successful members of our societies, creating much-needed job opportunities, economic wealth, and social transformation.
We drive investment- and market readiness through cohort-based programmes and tailored support services. We work hard to ensure that local and international enterprises increase their rate and scope of success, be it during the start-up or market entry phase or the growth or expansion stage. Through access to capital, markets, technology, or know-how we have since 2002 supported over 1,700 businesses to flourish. Our unique methodology and professional delivery allowed 87% of our clients to experience and sustain growth.
Headquartered in Nairobi, we currently run projects across the region. You will join a youthful, international and ambitious team.
About the role:
As a member of our team of Growth Catalysts, you are in charge of driving the entrepreneurs and businesses we work with through their business development journey. Using GrowthAfrica’s proprietary methodology and tools you will be assigned businesses who you will assist in thinking through key aspects of their business model, and their strategies – be it product design, marketing, supply chain, or sales and distribution. In partnership with our Financial Modeller, you will also assist in developing their financial models and preparing them for investments, including promoting them to potential investors.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Attracting high-potential and growth-oriented early-stage ventures for our programmes
- Screening and selection of business applicants, putting together an exciting cohort, including the collection of relevant information and data
- Co-facilitate business development workshops ensuring the successful adoption and use of the GrowthAfrica methodology and tools
- Individualized follow-up with the businesses: During the implementation of plans made during the workshops, further assist in the proper adoption and use of the GrowthAfrica methodology and tools. Ensure that the businesses arrive well-prepared for the business development workshops
- Look for and approach appropriate mentors for "your businesses"
- Liaise with the Director of Programmes and Lead Facilitator on the progress of the businesses, including writing periodic progress reports
- Liaise with the Financial Modeller in regard to the development of financial models and assist in the collection of information and data relevant to the pre-diligence work done by the Finance Modellers
- Reporting and documentation for funders, mentors, investors, and other stakeholders
- Assist in the development of investor presentations for the businesses
- Planning and execution of workshop and event logistics
Who we are looking for:
- You have 5-8 years of experience in developing businesses, e.g. as a consultant or business analyst
- You have the ability to diagnose business needs
- You have strong analytical skills and the ability to conceptualize and concretise ideas and hypotheses
- You are a people person – you love interacting with new people and guiding them on a journey
- You are informed and knowledgeable on general topics and have diverse interests
- You are a natural relationships builder who doesn’t shy away from initiating conversations
- You are curious and naturally driven to learn new things
- Natural problem-solver: You have proven results with minimal supervision
- You are not shy to approach big executives as mentors for our business clients nor to critique entrepreneurs even when they disagree
- You are inspired by entrepreneurship and may have start-up ambitions (or have run a start-up before!)
- You have your finger on the pulse of the country
- You keep yourself up to date and tuned into business, socio-economics, and politics in the region
- You have at least an undergraduate degree, preferably in business-related studies
- You might have an additional graduate-level course, or pursuing a graduate degree, e.g. MBA
- Past experience across several sectors is an added advantage
You have the cultural fit to work in GrowthAfrica if:
- You think of social issues and innovative approaches
- You are passionate about seeing Africa’s growth through business
- You feel comfortable working in fast-growing environments and are flexible to adapt to change
- You are willing to work when and where the work needs doing (this occasionally includes weekends)
- You are excited to walk hand-in-hand with the entrepreneurs and businesses we work with, across the country
- You are business-minded and street-savvy
Why work with us?
- Purpose-driven organization and role
- Get exposed to early stage business’s realities. You will walk in the shoes of the entrepreneurs. Their success is our success.
- Learn about innovation and entrepreneurship across the continent and design your own personal and professional learning journey
- Become part of a highly committed, international team
- Your work involves meeting top entrepreneurs and senior executives on the continent
- You get to work with the investment community across Africa
- We offer a good base salary with performance-based incentives
This opportunity is based in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. Depending on the programs you work with there will be travel to other countries. We will arrange a 6-month probation period with learning and performance objectives. We aim to select the candidate as soon as possible and have you join our team as soon as possible.
Want to apply?
Send your CV in PDF format to the link provided The deadline for this application is 30th November 2022. If the role is not filled by then, we will still accept and review applications on a rolling basis after the deadline The selection process will involve a personality test and work assignments