GAVI Project Coordinator
The International Rescue Committee, one of the world’s largest humanitarian international NGOs, provides relief, rehabilitation and development support to vulnerable people and communities over 30 countries. We began work in Ethiopia in 2000 in response to severe drought in Ethiopia’s Somali region and are currently providing assistance to Ethiopians and refugees in six regions in Ethiopia, implementing emergency and development programs in health, water and sanitation, economic recovery and development (ERD), women’s protection and empowerment, education, child protection, and multi-sectoral emergency response.
Scope: Within the International Rescue Committee (IRC) health and Nutrition sector, the Project Coordinator will take direct responsibility for facilitating Gavi’s goal of “leaving no one behind with immunization” in the targeted regions of Gambella and Benishangul-Gumuz Regions under the Senior Health and Nutrition coordinator. As the key member of the Technical Support Team in the project, the project coordinator is responsible for providing high quality technical guidance to programme implementation team, coordinating the delivery of high quality, innovative, cost-effective immunization programmes both in emergency as well as long-term development, resulting in immediate and lasting change for children. The project coordinator will support the development, planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation and administration of the immunization programme towards achievement of planned objectives of the work plan, aligned with country programme goals, objectives, and strategy. He/She will also lead a consortium of local partners and provide technical expertise on negotiating humanitarian access. The project coordinator will work with the Country Health and Nutrition Team and Health Technical Unit to roll out the project, representation with key stakeholders and preparation, reviews, and submission of required project deliverables.
- Ensure project efficiency, effectiveness and vaccination coverage are enhanced through effective implementation and monitoring. - Provide practical technical assistance for new vaccines, routine immunization and cold chain. - Take responsibility for high-quality reporting, monitoring and evaluation systems for internal and external use, capturing best practices to support program decision-making. - Confirm appropriateness and completeness of supply order, distribution and documentation, and adherence to established allotments are ensured. - Empower partner and country staff through effective capacity building activities in the development, implementation, and management of the immunization programme. - Facilitate effective communication, networking and collaboration with internal and external partners. - Monitor evolving needs of the target communities, conduct assessments on immunization health needs in new project areas and adjust the programmatic priorities as necessary in collaboration with the Regional and Woreda Health Bureaus, local partners and health officers. - Launch immunization-centric assessments, advocacy, documentation and dissemination of innovations and good practices by working with quality programmes team. - Elaborate directions and training to project staff focusing on appropriate approaches and methodologies; conceptual and practical frameworks; standards and tools for effective and quality delivery of immunization programmes. - Ensure that project intervention adhere to IRC's core policy documents, guidelines and internal technical strategies. - Promote the quality of the IRC's assigned immunization programs by setting up monthly quality of care assessments and analysis of findings and feedback to the supported target location. This will include EPI audit reports and checks in collaboration with the country and HQ based health staff. - In the case of a major humanitarian crisis, the role holder will be expected to work outside the standard role profile and vary working hours accordingly.
Monitoring & Evaluation
- Participate in the design of robust program’s MEAL plan and ensure that the stated goals and objectives of the GAVI project are overseen and met by strong monitoring, and evaluation follow up. - Participate in design/adaptation of health information systems including surveillance systems for the IRC health programs. - Collaborate with Client Responsiveness Team to undertake regular client feedback and response activities at the field level, working with the partner's staff and MEAL team to develop context-appropriate tools.
- Ensure that the project interventions are implemented according to internal IRC and donor regulations with an overall review by the Senior Health Coordinator. - Conduct regular project review meetings, incorporating both qualitative and quantitative data, as well as review and analysis of project epidemiological and procurement data with field-based staff to assess the level of achievement of project targets for the assigned partners. - Document project achievements and lessons learned, providing analysis and adapt program strategy and implementation accordingly. - Support partners staff in use of grant management tools such as the budget tracking tools, activity progress monitoring tools, procurement, and spending plans, etc.
- Conduct monthly BVA reviews and make appropriate recommendations to the finance and logistics staff as well as to the field-based health staff. - Collaborate with partner staff to develop spending plans and monitor the implementation of these spending plans for respective grants.
Human Resource Management
- Conduct performance reviews for the project collaboratively with the Health and Nutrition and MEAL teams, stakeholders, and partners to ensure adaptive programing. - Coordinate the development of goal setting plans for project staff based on performance reviews in collaboration with the human resources department and contribute to the training of health and nutrition staff (mentoring, on-the-job sessions as well as formal trainings).
- Education: Advanced university degree in Medicine, Health, Public Health, Nursing, or a field relevant to international development assistance in immunization, RMNCAH, Child Survival and Health Care; Background/familiarity with Emergency is a plus. Experience leading immunization strategies (Routine Immunization, SIAs, Vaccine Preventable Disease Surveillance is an added advantage. - Work Experience: Minimum of 5 years professional experience in some combination of project management, - Experience in project management, technical tools and materials development and monitoring and evaluation is highly desired. - Demonstrated Skills and Competencies: Demonstrated expertise in working with donors, project design, proposal development, and monitoring and evaluation, with the ability to turn concepts and strategy into measurable action. Able to work with remote, multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary teams. - Communicate effectively and clearly, has strong interpersonal verbal and written communication skills and ability to facilitate collaboration. - Comfortable in a high-visibility, individual contributor role with the ability to work cross-functionally and with all levels of the organization. - Language Skills: Fluency in English is required. Local languages are a plus. - Working Environment: Up to 50% travel will be required. This position will be based in Addis Ababa.
Living Conditions: The position is based in Addis Ababa with movement to the field sites required (50%).
IRC is an equal employment opportunity employer. IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability.
Standards of Professional Conduct: The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way - Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and carries out policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
Gender Equality: We are committed to narrowing the gender gap in leadership positions. We offer benefits that provide an enabling environment for women to participate in our workforce including parental leave, gender-sensitive security protocols, and other supportive benefits and allowances
Equal Opportunity Employer: We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, age, marital status, veteran status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.