Application deadline 9 months ago: Sunday 6 Feb 2022 at 23:59 UTCOpen application form
This is a IICA-1 contract. This kind of contract is known as International Individual Contractor Agreements. It is normally internationally recruited only. It's an external contract. It usually requires 2 years of experience, depending on education. More about IICA-1 contracts.
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
This position is part of the Communications Group, at UNOPS Headquarters in Copenhagen. The Communications Group is responsible for producing and disseminating information about UNOPS for external audiences, as well as facilitating the flow of information within the organization, ensuring efficient service delivery and broad sharing of knowledge and best practices.
The incumbent will be based in Copenhagen and report to the Translation Coordinator. He/she will be responsible for translating internal and external materials providing a rapid turnaround and ensuring the quality assurance of French documents. Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
1. Translate mainly from English into French a wide variety of documents and technical materials:
- Maintaining a high standard of accuracy, consistency, and faithfulness to the spirit, style, register and nuance of the original text.
- Ensuring timeliness, undertaking a rapid turnaround for translation tasks that need immediate use.
- Producing self-revised translations.
- Ensuring that UNOPS website content is available in French and that all needs of the Communications Group are met.
- Supporting UNOPS presence in French on institutional social media platforms (YouTube, Twitter, etc.) and collaborating with country-specific social media platforms to ensure quality and consistency of messaging.
- Supporting the translation needs of the Executive Office as well as of other units whenever possible.
2. Quality assurance:
- Evaluate the quality and accuracy of translations provided in French by other translators, and revise their work as required.
- Collaborate with other French translators to ensure the highest language standards and consistency.
- Take active part in the recruitment of French translators as required.
- Undertake linguistic and background research and verify terminology and references in order to ensure consistency of vocabulary and established terms.
- Keep abreast of institutional terminology and, when necessary, liaise with subject matter experts to ensure accurate use of technical terms.
- Suggest updates to the computerized terminology files and institutional translation memories.
- Provide advice on the use of French in the organizational context.
- Keep abreast of new technologies (CAT-tools, machine translation, etc.) and trends in the industry to ensure efficiency and streamline of translation processes.
Perform other related duties as required.
Monitoring and Progress Controls
Regular meetings will be held to make sure that work is performed satisfactory, in addition to the PER evaluation.
Tasks should be completed as stated in the duties listed above.
Education BA in translation required
- At least 2 years of translation experience from English to French required.
- Experience in the context of UN or another international organization an asset.
- Strong MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.) and/or Google Suite skills (Docs, Slides, Sheet, etc.) required.
- Skills with CAT/ Translation memory tools required
- Native-level speaker of French and perfect command of English required.
- Knowledge of Spanish is an asset.
Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles. Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role). Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries. Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements. Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving. Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: ICA Contract level: I-ICA1 Contract duration: Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance.
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link: https://www.unops.org/english/Opportunities/job-opportunities/what-we-offer/Pages/Individual-Contractor-Agreements.aspx