Finance Assistant (Operations)
Application deadline 2 months ago: Tuesday 15 Nov 2022 at 23:59 UTCOpen application form
This is a NPSA-6 contract. This kind of contract is known as National Personnel Services Agreement. It is normally only for nationals. It usually requires 6 years of experience, depending on education. More about NPSA-6 contracts.
Under the direct supervision of the Finance Analyst, the Finance Assistant ensures effective execution of financial services and processes in CO and transparent utilization of financial resources. The Finance Assistant promotes a client-oriented approach consistent with UNDP rules and regulations.
The Finance Assistant can supervise interns and support staff of the Finance Unit and work in close collaboration with the operations, programme and projects’ staff in the CO and with UNDP HQs staff for resolving finance-related issues and information exchange.
Incumbent is expected to display initiative, a positive approach and a strong client orientation. As such, s/he might be required to undertake other emerging tasks and additional duties as required by direct supervisor or senior
Duties and Responsibilities
The Finance Assistant is to support the successful functioning of Papua New Guinea Country Office Finance Unit. He or she will do so by carrying out the following key tasks:
Summary of Key functions:
- Implementation of operational and financial management strategies.
- Administration of budgets and cost-recovery system.
- Accounting, Finance and administrative support.
- CO cash management.
- Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing.
1. Ensure implementation of operational and financial management strategies, and adapts processes and procedures focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Full compliance with UN/UNDP rules and regulations of financial processes, financial records and reports and audit follow up, implementation of the effective internal control framework.
- CO finance business processes mapping and elaboration of the content of internal Standard Operating Procedures in Finance in consultation with the direct supervisor and office management.
- Provision of inputs for implementation of cost-saving and reduction strategies in consultation with the office management.
2. Ensure administration of budgets and functioning of the optimal cost-recovery system focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Tracking of expenditures for UNDP management projects, follow-up with projects or UN Agencies on payment requests for cost recovery actions.
- Timely preparation of cost-recovery bills in Atlas for the services provided by UNDP, implementation of the income tracking system and follow up on cost recovery.
3. Provide accounting and administrative support to the Finance Unit focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Proper control of the supporting documents for payments and financial reports for NEX projects; preparation of all types of vouchers. Pay Cycle and payments execution.
- Proper receipting of goods and services and establishment of accruals.
- Maintenance of the internal expenditures control system which ensures that vouchers processed are matched and completed, transactions are correctly recorded and posted in Atlas; payrolls are duly prepared and processed; travel claims, MPOs and other entitlements are duly processed.
- Timely accounts closure.
- Timely corrective actions on unposted vouchers, including the vouchers with budget check errors, match exceptions, unapproved vouchers. Timely response to HQ requests to resolve financial data issues.
- Timely corrective actions on erroneous data in Atlas. Preparation of financial reports as required.
- Maintenance of the Accounts Receivables for UNDP projects and follow-up with partners on contributions, deposits creation in Atlas and their application to AR pending items.
4. Ensure proper CO cash management functioning focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Alternate for timely review of cash position for local accounts to ensure sufficient funds on hand for disbursements.
- Timely identification and recording of receipts for income application.
- Alternate for daily review of zero-balance account bank statements in Atlas to monitor imprest level; identification and recording of contributions.
- Timely review of bank statements and submission of bank statement to GSSU
- Alternate for timely preparation of monthly cashflow forecast for use by Operations Manager/ Finance Analyst. Liaison with UN Agencies to obtain estimate of their cash requirement.
- Initiation of bank transfers and deals in Atlas.
5. Ensure facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the CO and guidance to all stakeholders on financial matters focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Organization/conduct of training for the operations/ programme/projects staff on financial management
- Synthesis of lessons learned and best practices in Finance
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice
Achieve Results : Level 1. Plans and mointors own work, pays attention to details; delivers quality work by deadine.
Think Innovatively: Level 2. Offer new ideas/open to new approaches, demonstarte systemic/integrated thinking.
Learn Continuously: Level 1. Open minded and curious, shares knowledge, learnsfrom mistake, asks for feedback.
Adapt with Agility: Level 1. Adapts to change, constructively handles ambiguity/uncertainty, is flexible.
Act with Determination: Level 1. Shows drive and motivation, able to deliver calmly in face of adversity, confident.
Enage and Partner: Level 1. Demonstrates compassion/understanding towards others, forms positive relationships.
Enable Diversity & Inclusion: Level 1. Appreciate/respect differences, aware of conscious bias, confront discrimination.
Cross-Functional & Technical Competencies
Business Management - Customer Satisfaction/Client Management
- Ability to respond timely and appropriately with a sense of urgency, provide consistent solutions, and deliver timely and quality results and/or solutions to fulfil and understand the real customers' needs.
-Ability to anticipate client's upcoming needs and concerns.
Business Management- Digital Awareness and Literacy
-Ability and inclination to rapidly adopt new technologies, either through skilfully grasping their usage or through understanding their impact and empowering others to use them as needed.
Finance- Accounting (General)
- Knowledge of accounting concepts, principles, frameworks, standards, regulations, policies and trends, and ability to apply this to strategic and/or practical situations.
Finance - Finance business partnering
- Able to support business units and add value by innovating and providing solutions to financial issues/queries, including through FAQs, financial tools, advisory, etc. Influences and appropriately challenges non-finance colleagues for whom the service is being provided. Understands the operations, opportunities and challenges of the organization. Holds a commercial outlook, demonstrating accountability towards organizational goals.
Finance - Financial risk management
- Ensures financial resilience through proactive assessment of risk, implementation of controls and taking mitigating action. Understands risk and reward in relation to collaborative and commercial projects. Ensures a culture of positive risk management"
Required Skills and Experience
- Candidate must have a secondary education, with specialized certification in Accounting and Finance.
- University Degree in Finance, Business, Public Administration or any related field
- Six (6) years with secondary education of progressively responsible finance and accounting experience is required at the national or international level.
- Three (3) years of relevant experience in finance and accounting will suffice if in possession of a Bachelor's degree.
- Candidate must have skills and knowledge in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
- Candidate must have skills in handling of web-based management
- Candidate must have skills in web-based management systems and ERP financial, perferable PeopleSodt (ATLAS)
- Advance Excel skills is highly desired
- Candidate enrolled in a Finance Certification Programme will have a distinct advantage
- Candidate who are current CPA Members or Part-qualified accountants from an internationally recognized institute of accountancy will have a distinct advantage.
- Fluency in English and Tok Pisin language is desirable
- Candidate must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19.