Application deadline 9 months ago: Tuesday 14 Feb 2023 at 22:59 UTCOpen application form
This position is located in FAO Representation to Lesotho, based in Maseru. The main aim of the FAO country offices, which are headed by an FAO Representative, is to assist governments to develop policies, programmes and projects to achieve food security and to reduce hunger and malnutrition, to help develop the agricultural , fisheries and forestry sectors and to use their environmental and natural resources in a sustainable manner.
The incumbent works under the overall guidance of the FAOR Lesotho, and the direct supervision of the Assistant FAO Representative (Administration).
The Finance Assistant is responsible for the financial support activities of the Country Office. The incumbent provides and coordinates broad administrative support functions in the areas of finance. S/he ensures a high level of performance of these functions.
Tasks and Responsibilities
The incumbent will perform the following duties:
• Maintain financial records and monitoring systems for the office; maintain imprest accounts; reconcile expenditures, balances, payments, statements and other data for day-to-day transactions and reports; monitor project and programme accounts for which responsibility as assigned. • Prepare financial and administrative correspondence, draft correspondence to verify data, answer queries, and obtain additional information on transactions and financial matters, • Process payments in accordance established FAO rules and guidelines. • Retrieve, enter, select and analyse data from a wide variety of sources, including FAO’s corporate systems and data bases; verify accuracy of data documents; make necessary calculations. • Verify availability of funds under all programmes; ensure that operational expenditures are in accordance with approved budgets and that all committing documents are complete and consistent. • Maintain local inventory records with responsibility for proper recording of assets, their maintenance and safeguard. • Maintain a filing system of administrative and financial documents. • Monitor the receipt of Government contributions and the transfer of ownership of the Organization’s equipment. • Monitor vehicle fuel usage, and ensure that that fuel usage is reconciled against mileage covered; • Provide support in the preparation of reports for budget planning, audits and other related requests • Maintain liaison with local banks and financial institutions to keep up-to-date with financial and regulatory information (exchange and interest rates, procedures and rules, maintenance of bank accounts, etc.). • Prepare VAT schedules and claims and coordination with the Revenue Authority • Support the streamlining of procedures and practices and the introduction of new information technologies to the office. • Support the administration of personnel and equipment. • Perform other related duties as required.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, finance, Administration or other related field. • Five years of relevant working experience in the provision of programme/project administration and finance support services • Working knowledge of English. • National of Lesotho.
FAO Core Competencies
• Results Focus • Teamwork • Communication • Building Effective Relationships • Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• Good knowledge of the MS Office applications, Internet and office technology equipment; • Ability to use accounting software and either information systems and databases to insert data, make inquiries, retrieve/define ad hoc reports, and ability to analyse and edit results in appropriate format; • Good knowledge of the communication and documentation standards • Good knowledge of corporate computerized financial/ travel/ Human Resources systems, administrative procedures and policies • Ability to work under pressure with minimum or no supervision • A team player who demonstrates patience, flexibility and honesty • Ability to work and relate well with FAO stakeholders • Excellent analytical and numerical skills • Good time management skills, able to plan work and meet strict deadlines.
- FAO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing)
- Incomplete applications will not be considered. If you need help please contact: [email protected]
- Applications received after the closing date will not be accepted
- Please note that FAO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU) / United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed at http://www.whed.net/
- For additional employment opportunities visit the FAO employment website: http://www.fao.org/employment/home/en/
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.