Development Worker (m/f/d) for urban planning
Application deadline 7 months ago: Sunday 9 Jul 2023 at 23:59 UTCOpen application form
This is a Volunteer contract. More about Volunteer contracts.
As a federal enterprise, GIZ supports the German Government in achieving its goals in international cooperation for sustainable development. By sending qualified experts as development workers, GIZ contributes to the lasting improvement of the living conditions of the people on the ground. The programme aims at improving citizen-centred service delivery, financial sustainability and accountability in municipal governance. The programme, which runs until 09/2026, is embedded in the German Development Cooperation Programme Public Finance and Decentralisation in Mozambique. At the national level, policy advice is provided to, among other, the Ministry of Administration and Public Service and an inter-ministerial task force in the drafting and implementation of a National Urban Development Policy. At the sub-national level, the programme strengthens municipal development in four provinces (Inhambane, Nampula, Niassa and Sofala) in increasing own revenue, planning, budgeting and expenditure, HR, internal control, urban planning, administrative and basic service delivery.
- Advising municipalities on the definition, prioritisation, design, coordination, cooperation and communication of sustainable and participatory urban planning processes, based on the needs of the municipal administration
- Advising concept development and application of formal and informal urban planning and management tools
- Advising the municipality, municipal assembly and municipal executive committee on the participatory and citizen-oriented planning, design and implementation of municipal basic services for citizens in the fields of environment, energy, waste and water
- Technical support for the (further) development of a suitable, digitalized cadastral system
- Advice on and on-the-job training in the use of digital case management, planning and geoinformation systems and their use for urban planning and service delivery
- Support for exchange and networking with relevant actors, e. g. from civil society, other development partners, private sector and academia
- Promote inter-municipal exchange in Mozambique and internationally
- Completed university studies in urban, spatial, landscape or town planning, geography, environmental planning, social work or related disciplines
- Several years of professional experiences in the field of urban management and governance, municipal service delivery, urban planning and development
- Experience in the use of digital systems for urban planning or service delivery, e. g. geo-information or cadastre systems
- Knowledge and/or professional experience in the fields of (climate) resilient urban design, urban environmental management, circular economy, waste management and comparable are an advantage
- Work experience in developing countries or emerging economies; Strong intercultural and social skills
- Ability to communicate knowledge to different target groups and to work in a team and under pressure
- Fluency in English; Fluency in German and business fluency in Portuguese or in another Romance language (French, Spanish, Italian) is an advantage
We are pleased to offer you a first impression on topics such as climate, shopping and services, the school situation and health care in Mozambique.
The security situation requires heightened vigilance. Tailored security risk mitigation measures are in place for GIZ staff in country. GIZ staff must adhere to security measures at all times. Please also check the county-specific information provided by the German Federal Foreign Office. A contact person for security risk management is appointed at the local GIZ office. The working environment is subject to special restrictions on the freedom of movement. GIZ does not impose any restrictions on life partners and family members to move with you to the country of deployment. Please note that the general and personal living conditions in the country of assignment may meet with different legal and social acceptance. We gladly support you with our many years of experience.
Further information on country-specific advice from the Federal Foreign Office at https://www.auswaertiges-amt.de/en.
GIZ's Development Service is looking forward to applications of candidates with a professional qualification and / or university degree and at least two years of professional experience. In addition you hold the German nationality or the nationality of a member state of the European Union.
For general questions from dependent partners about local employment - please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please observe the provisions of the country-specific vaccination regulations for entry and work in the country of assignment - in particular also regarding COVID-19.
Please understand that we can accept and process in principle only applications via our E-recruiting system. Following the confirmation of your succesful application, kindly check your spam / junk mail folder on a regular basis, since some provider classify emails form our recruiting system as spam.
The basis for service as a development worker is the Development Workers Act (EhfG) and a comprehensive package of benefits based on it. This includes, among other things, targeted professional and personal preparation. We offer the opportunity to work in an innovative, globally active development institution. Your competencies are in demand in an interdisciplinary team on site.
GIZ is a signatory of the Diversity Charter. Recognition, appreciation and inclusion of diversity in the company are important to us. All employees shall be valued - regardless of gender and gender identity, nationality, ethnic origin, religion or belief, disability, social background, age or sexual orientation.
GIZ would like to increase the proportion of employees with disability, both in Germany and abroad. Applications from persons with disabilities are most welcome.
HR-Service Center +49 6196/79-3200 [email protected]