Construction Management Engineer (Civil Engineer)
Application deadline 6 months ago: Friday 18 Mar 2022 at 23:59 UTCOpen application form
This is a LICA Specialist-9 contract. This kind of contract is known as Local Individual Contractor Agreements. It is normally only for nationals. It's an external contract. It usually requires 2 years of experience, depending on education. More about LICA Specialist-9 contracts.
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development. UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
Diversity With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
Background Information – Philippine Office
Established in 2016, UNOPS Philippines provides expert support to ensure sustainable project management, procurement and infrastructure activities in projects. With funds from the European Union (EU), UNOPS supports the Supreme Court, the Department of Justice, and the Department of the Interior and Local Government under the Governance in Justice (GOJUST) Programme (GOJUST2) through procurement, logistics, and grants management to push forward the justice reform agenda of the Philippine government through innovations and interventions; as well as providing grants to civil society organisations to improve access to justice of marginalised groups. In the Support to the Bangsamoro Transition (SUBATRA) Programme, UNOPS is working with the Bangsamoro Autonomous Region of Muslim Mindanao (BARMM) Government strengthening capacities of the executive, legislative and judicial branches to ensure a smooth transition, also with funds from the EU.
In the health sector, UNOPS works with the Korean International Cooperation Agency (KOICA) for the construction of health facilities in Eastern Samar, and with the DOH / ADB in the HEAL project (Health System Enhancement to Address and Limit COVID-19).
The UNOPS Philippines Office is part of the UNOPS Cambodia Multi-Country Officer (KHMCO), which provides oversight, support and services to UNOPS operations in the country offices.
UNOPS Philippines is in the process of expanding its area of engagement in cooperation with its development partners, focusing mainly on a portfolio of projects and programs in the infrastructure, logistics management, procurement in health, rule of law, and governance sectors and subsequently is looking for qualified and committed experts. Project Background Information – SUBATRA
The Support to Bangsamoro Transition (SUBATRA) (The Action) aims to contribute to the smooth and timely undertaking of the transitional government process through the strengthening of the capabilities and capacities of the 3 branches of the Bangsamoro Government. Promoting a good enabling and governance environment will ensure the efficient development and implementation of policies consistent with the transition plan, focusing on the enhancement of capacities that are critical for the sound functioning of interim institutions.
The overall EU Action is specifically focused upon 4 defined lines of effort:
- Strengthening the capacity of the BTA’s (Bangsamoro Transition Authority) executive branch superstructure to drive and coordinate key transitional policies;
- Strengthening the capacity of the Parliament to exercise its law-making and oversight functions;
- Strengthening the capacity of the Justice System to adjudicate litigations and improve access to justice;
- Strengthening the capacity of civil society to contribute to a peaceful transition to the Bangsamoro Autonomous Region for Muslim Mindanao.
These 4 lines of effort are in turn focused upon delivering 4 Results from the overall EU Action:
- Result 1: enhanced capacity of the BTA’s Executive Branch to efficiently handle the transition through improved institutional superstructure to plan, impulse, and monitor transitional policies as well as the enhanced capacity of the administrative machinery, especially key governance ministries, to implement policies and deliver basic social services.
- Result 2: enhanced capacity of the Bangsamoro Parliament to exercise its lawmaking, oversight, and representation functions.
- Result 3: enhanced capacity of the multifaceted Bangsamoro Justice System to adjudicate.
- Result 4: enhanced capacity of the civil society to contribute to a peaceful transition to BARMM.
The EU Action was signed with UNOPS in August 2020 and has a duration of five years, with an ongoing inception phase in Q1 of 2021 (and a further planned transition period to last until 2022 when the new elections for the new Bangsamoro Government are held at the same time as the national elections). The EU Action will be implemented not only during the transition but also during the post-transition phase as well, thus ensuring a seamless crossover to the elected Bangsamoro Government.
UNOPS has been contracted as an Implementing Partner to provide support to specific and necessary components of the Action, namely Procurement, Logistical and Administrative Support Services, Communications and Visibility, and Infrastructure Management, as well as overall Project Management backstopping and oversight.
The Action will contribute to improving the capacity of the BTA to efficiently implement the transition, according to the provisions of the BOL - the latter being essential for peace consolidation in Mindanao. This is the cornerstone of the core Bangsamoro self-reliance and self-determination for effective autonomy during the transition.
Under the direct supervision of the Project Manager, the Construction Management Engineer (Civil Engineer) is required to provide support on the Infrastructure Management and overall Project Management backstopping and oversight to perform the following specific duties and responsibilities ensuring their effectiveness, transparency and integrity:
Coordination, Delivery, and Performance:
- Responsible for day-to-day coordination with the Designer, Contractor, Consultants and Suppliers according to the needs and requirements on site;
- Inspects and report on contractor’s works in progress ensuring that the contractor meets UNOPS quality standards;
- Provide support and guidance to the contractor and assists in resolving site problems, as necessary;
- Responsible for supervision of technical staff and consultants assigned to the project, and the assignment and monitoring of duties during the progress of works;
- in the area of his expertise participate preparation of the Tenders and Contract award for the Designer, Contractor, Consultants and Suppliers selection;
- Embed sustainability dimensions including social and gender inclusion, as well as Health, Safety, Security, and Environmental (HSSE) aspects into the project during the design and construction phases;
- Perform other related duties as required from Project Manager.
Governance, Monitoring and Reporting:
- Check contractors’ and suppliers set out and works, including compliance with contracts specifications and ensures that contractors and suppliers comply with their work plans to complete work with specified scope of work, time frame, and budget;
- Attend daily the project site(s) in order to monitor progress of works, identify the existing problems and provide appropriate solutions through application of sound engineering standards in consultation with the Project Manager;
- Responsible for preparation of progress reports on construction activities, according to the agreed timeframe of works and submission of such on a weekly basis to the Project Manager;
- Assess and report on the project closing plans, archiving of cost and progress report and hand over all related reports to the Project Manager;
- Evaluate and assess works schedules and programmes, including the comparison with the schedule baselines and reports to the Project Manager accordingly;
- Check operation and maintenance manuals, and keep records and report to the Project Manager accordingly;
- Assess the work activities of contractor/s, measure completed work and make recommendations to the Project Manager for progress payments to contractors.
- Prepare drafts of the design briefs and the design reports that address specific clients and stakeholder requirements and specifications as and when necessary,
- Preparation of comprehensive design documentation, specifications, and other project documents to meet the required quality and detailing as stipulated by the Project Manager,
- Work closely with other Architects, Engineers, Draftsperson and Quantity Surveyors in the planning of projects, scheduling of tasks and developing an integrated design,
- Carry out the design of services for projects according to the Beneficiary’s Design requirement and as per UNOPS standard procedures, local and international standards/codes of practices,
- Monitor delivery of services design documents. Highlight possible late delivery prior to the event,
- Assist contract division in preparing and evaluation of tender documents of engineering services (specifications, BOQs, rates, test reports, etc.).
- Maintain records, compile periodic reports and any specific reports required by UNOPS standard procedures;
- Responsible for the preparation and verification of a database for the available materials shipped to the project, schedules of the labor force, and monitoring of the quality of such during the progress of works;
- Check, verify and approve the interim payments submitted by the Contractor/s and submit detailed reports to the Project Manager;
- Provides other duties as required by Project Manager.
Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles. Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role). Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries. Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements. Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving. Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
Education: - Advanced Degree or equivalent in Civil Engineering, Construction Management or related field. - A combination of Bachelor’s degree with an additional 2 years of relevant work experience may be accepted in lieu of the education requirements outlined above. - License/Board Certification in Engineering is desirable. - Prince2, PMP or similar project management certification is an asset.
Experience: - At least two (2) years of experience in civil works design, supervision or implementation of buildings construction projects in the Philippines is required. - Comprehensive knowledge in computer software, particularly “AutoCAD” (latest Versions – 2009 and higher), MS Project scheduling or Primavera Project Planner is desirable. - Work Experience with an international Organization and/or UN Agencies is an asset. - High proficiency with computers, and other software/ platforms related to the position's field of expertise. Good experience in working with the G-Suite platform including, Google Drive, Google Calendar, Gmail, Google Sheets, Docs, and Slides is desired.
Language: - Fluency in English is desired.
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: Local Individual Contract Agreement (LICA)
Contract level: LICA 9 / ICS 9 Contract duration: On-going and subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds, and satisfactory performance Duty Station: Cotabato, Philippines. Cotabato is a non-family duty station
This is a local position, so only candidates of Philippine nationality are eligible to apply. For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link: https://www.unops.org/english/Opportunities/job-opportunities/what-we-offer/Pages/Individual-Contractor-Agreements.aspx
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.