Construction Management Engineer
Application deadline in 25 days: Tuesday 6 Sep 2022 at 23:59 UTCOpen application form
This is a IICA-1 contract. This kind of contract is known as International Individual Contractor Agreements. It is normally internationally recruited only. It's an external contract. It usually requires 2 years of experience, depending on education. More about IICA-1 contracts.
Background Information - Job-specific
The Angolans who are fulfiling the requirement's stated on this job advert are strongly encouraged to apply.
At present UNOPS does not have a permanent presence in Angola, however following a recent mission in the country a number of new project initiatives are currently under development which will result in the recruitment of qualified talents within the country and beyond.
UNOPS seeks to recruit qualified talent for the position of Construction Management Engineer who will help with the development and implementation of projects which come into fruition.
The Construction Management Engineer will report directly to the Senior Project Manager/Lead Construction Management Engineer who will provide direction and general supervision.
The post is based in Luanda but may change to other locations within Angola depending on business needs.
Background information - DR Congo
Located in Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of Congo the UNOPS Multi-Country office covers eleven countries: Angola, Burundi, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Comoros, Gabon, Equatorial Guinea, Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), Republic of Congo, Madagascar, Rwanda, and has an active portfolio of over $300 million, with many infrastructure projects. The office has developed strong working relations with international partners, UN agencies including UN Missions and Governments across Central Africa over the years. It provides technical support and capacity building in strategic development areas including infrastructure rehabilitation and development across health, education, public works, governance/public administration sectors; procurement, project management and sectoral advisory services; peace and security, environmental preservation and protection among others.
Under the direct supervision of the Senior Project Manager/Lead Construction Management Engineer, the Construction Management Engineer is required to perform the following specific duties and responsibilities ensuring their effectiveness, transparency and integrity:
- Liaison with the design consultancy company, to ensure the design is made according to the required standards and the planned timeline.
- Provide expert opinion/advice to the Senior Project Manager/Lead Construction Management Engineer on all engineering issues.
- Review the technical quality and completeness of the design documentation.
- Provide the support to selected consultancy to obtain the UNOPS Design Review Certificate(s).
- Manage and support the Supervision Team during the supervision of the construction works.
- Follow up on activities necessary for issuance of the Final Completion and Handover Certificates.
Coordination, Delivery, and Performance:
- Undertake a thorough on-site technical assessment of the targeted locations and decentralized services to confirm the selection and to define the detailed scope of works;
- Provide advice on feasibility, costings, timelines and requirements;
- Inspects and report on contractor’s works in progress ensuring that the contractor meets UNOPS quality standards;
- Embed sustainability dimensions including social and gender inclusion, as well as Health, Safety, Security, and Environmental (HSSE) aspects into the project during the design and construction/rehabilitation phases;
- Ensure respect of Health and Safety procedures on the site and report any irregularity
- Ensure PSEA measures are implemented throughout the project implementation, as per the country PSEA action plan.
- Monitor closely and report on the works’ progress against the schedule, including all issues encountered.
- Assist the Senior Project Manager/Lead Construction Management Engineer in updating the Project quality register, risk register and lessons learned log
- in the time frame stipulated by the Project’s strategic documents.
Governance, Monitoring and Reporting
- Monitor contractors’ and suppliers set out and works, including compliance with contracts specifications and ensures that contractors and suppliers comply with their work plans to complete work with specified scope of work, time frame, and budget;
- Attend daily the project site(s) in order to monitor and supervise the progress of works in the targeted facilities, identify any existing problems, and provide technical appropriate solutions through application of sound engineering standards in consultation with the Lead Construction Management Engineer and Project Manager;
- Responsible for preparation of progress reports on rehabilitation and infrastructure activities, according to the agreed timeframe of works and submission of such on a weekly basis to the Project Manager;
- Implement quality controls (QC) procedures, to ensure all infrastructure -activities are correctly initiated, managed, monitored, reported and closed in accordance with UNOPS policies and procedures;
- Assess and report on the project closing plans, archiving of cost and progress report and hand over all related reports to the Project Manager/Lead Construction Management Engineer;
- Evaluate and assess works schedules and programmes, including the comparison with the schedule baselines and reports to the Project Manager/Lead Construction Management Engineer accordingly;
Documents Control and Management
- Maintain records, compile periodic reports and any specific reports required by UNOPS standard procedures;
- Responsible for the preparation and verification of a database for the available materials shipped to the project, schedules of labor force, and monitoring of quality of such during the progress of works;
- Check, verify and approve the interim payments submitted by the Contractor/s and submit detailed reports to the Project Manager.
Education: - Advanced University Degree (Master’s Degree) in Civil Engineering, Structural Engineering, Construction Management or related field is required.
- First level University degree (Bachelor's degree) in Civil Engineering, Structural Engineering, Construction Management or related field in combination with two (2) additional years of relevant work experience can be considered in lieu of the advanced university degree.
Experience: - At least 2 years of experience in civil works design, planning, supervision or implementation of infrastructure (construction and/or rehabilitation) projects is required.
Experience in supporting the supervision and/or implementation of multi-sector infrastructure rehabilitation projects is highly desired.
Comprehensive knowledge in engineering software applications (i.e: AutoCAD, SAP2000, Prokon, ETABs) is desired.
Work Experience with an international Organization and/or UN Agencies is an asset.
High proficiency with computers, and other software/ platforms related to the position's field of expertise is an asset.
Experience in working with the G-Suite platform including, Google Drive, Google Calendar, Gmail, Google Sheets, Docs, and Slides is an asset
Language: - Fluency in English is required. - Fluency in Portuguese in required.
Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles. Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role). Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries. Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements. Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving. Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: International Individual Contractor Agreements (I-ICA) Contract level: I-ICA1, ICS9 Contract duration: Ongoing ICA - Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance.
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link: https://www.unops.org/english/Opportunities/job-opportunities/what-we-offer/Pages/Individual-Contractor-Agreements.aspx
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- For retainer contracts, you must complete a few Mandatory Courses (around 4 hours) in your own time, before providing services to UNOPS.
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
- Please note that Luanda is a family duty station
- ****This VA is also open to Nationals of Angola, a Angolan National selected will be contracted under a Local Individual Contractor Agreement (LICA 9)****
- CANDIDATES WITH NO UN EXPERIENCE ARE STRONGLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY!
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.