Application deadline in 7 days: Thursday 18 Aug 2022 at 00:00 UTCOpen application form
This is a UNV International Specialist contract. This kind of contract is known as International UN Volunteer. It is normally internationally recruited only. More about UNV International Specialist contracts.
In the context of WHO’s 13th General Programme of Work (GPW) and its triple-billion strategy, the incumbent will support communications activities at the country level. Key deliverables include: accurate and timely production and dissemination of high quality public information products which highlight WHO and partners work on the ground; promoting achievements and results of key public health initiatives and building contacts with the press/media and key partners and optimizing networking opportunities. The incumbent will work with colleagues in the country office to ensure WHO’s work and health issues gain visibility among partners, the general public, the media and other key stakeholders.
- Identify subjects of interest to develop and improve media/communication activities at the country level and develop a communications plan for the country office, which works in synergy with the global and regional communications strategies.
- Produce public information materials such as press releases and media advisories on WHO events, products and issues for dissemination to the print, electronic and online media, as well as media talking points for country spokespeople.
- Build relations with the national media and ensure that WHO issues, and work are regularly profiled by the national media.
- Take photographs of key WHO events, activities as well as of key health programmes for use on the country and regional websites as photo stories, as well as on social media.
- Monitor media coverage of WHO issues, programmes and people in the country and provide regular reports to the Regional Office.
- Organize photographic shoots and interviews and filming opportunities to sup-port high-visibility of WHO achievements through television, radio and newspapers, etc.
- Manage the social media accounts of the country office in compliance with guidelines and standards used throughout the Organization, to ensure consistency of approach. Regularly update content on these platforms
- Manage the development and maintenance of the country website, in compliance with guidelines and standards used throughout the Organization, to ensure consistency of approach. Regularly update content on the website.
- Support the monitoring of mis-disinformation circulating on social media and local media.
- Research and write feature stories and messages, ideally bringing in a human element from real life experiences
- Work with external relations officer in the country office (if there is one) or in the regional office to prepare communication and advocacy products and statements to be used by the Resource Mobilization team in convincing and encouraging donors to rapidly fund the overall health sector response.
- Collaborate with all relevant actors, including the health cluster, regional and field offices, other WHO departments, UN agencies, and other partners to identify and create communication opportunities and prepare communication campaigns on specific topics.
• Communication: expresses oneself clearly in conversation and interaction with others; actively listens. Produces effective written communications. Ensures that information is shared. • Teamwork: develops and promotes effective relationships with colleagues and team members. Deals constructively with conflicts. • Moving forward in a changing environment: is open to, and proposes, new approaches and ideas. Adapts and responds positively to change. • Promoting innovation and organizational learning: invigorates the Organization by building a culture which encourages learning and development. Sponsors innovative approaches and solutions. • Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences: demonstrates ability to work constructively with people with different backgrounds and orientations. Respects differences and ensures that all can contribute.
a major national or international organization working as a journalist and/or communications expert.
Desirable: • Studies or experience-based knowledge of information management, information systems, communications techniques and media relations • Excellent knowledge of photography • Excellent knowledge of script/video editing tools • Demonstrated experience in graphic design and video editing.
Lesotho is a landlocked country and entirely surrounded by the Republic of South Africa. It is 30,355 km2 in size with a population of 2.2 million. About one quarter of the country has altitudes of between 1,500 and 2,000 meters. Because of its altitude, Lesotho remains cooler throughout the year than other regions at the same latitude. Most of the rain falls as summer thunderstorms. Maseru and surrounding lowlands often reach 30 °C in summer. However, due to current climate change conditions, the weather conditions keep changing such that there may be four seasons in one day at times. The rural highlands are less developed, and winters are severe with heavy snowfalls that often cut off the population from access to basic social services such as health. Lesotho is a lower middle-income country whose economy is based on diamonds exported all over the world and water sold to South Africa, manufacturing, agriculture, livestock, and to some extent the earnings of laborers employed in South Africa. About 40% of the population lives below the international poverty-line of US$1.25 a day. The constitution of Lesotho protects basic civil liberties, including freedom of speech, freedom of association, freedom of the press, freedom of peaceful assembly and freedom of religion. Maseru is the capital and the largest city in the country with a population of approximately 500,000 people. Basic goods and services including health facilities, public transport, telecommunication and banking services and educational facilities are readily available. The main airport is King Moshoeshoe III about 15 km away from the city.