Civil Engineering Intern
Application deadline 4 months ago: Sunday 8 May 2022 at 23:59 UTCOpen application form
This is a Internship contract. More about Internship contracts.
Background Information - Job-specific
The internship is learning and working opportunity that targets graduates both fresh and those already in the job market. The intern will assist the Project Manager efficiently and effectively in master planning and engineering-related capacity building activities and support to the El Fasher office & field duty stations. The intern will be exposed to practical learning and working experiences that foster development of his /her path. The Intern will work under the direct supervision of the Senior Project Engineer.
Purpose and Scope of Assignment
The intern will support the development of master plans for Geneina, Nyala, Zalingei and el Fasher, monitoring of the completion of construction of 18 steel tanks and technical capacity building activities in the four towns.
1. Develop spreadsheets to determine water demand
2. Help preparation of technical drawings for updating of infrastructure plans in the four towns
3. Support hydraulic analysis expert with information from the field on infrastructure status
4. Contribute to preliminary design / feasibility stage design of water networks and pumping systems
5. Assist town engineers to collect, document and analyse technical information on the network and wells for capacity building projects
6. Help preparation of engineering cost estimates for planned infrastructure.
7. Assist in providing communicating design standards and design issues / assist in training and technology transfer to Government partners
8. Perform other duties as assigned by the senior programme manager.
∙ Provides support to knowledge building and knowledge sharing, focusing on achievement of the following results:
∙ Participation in the training events for the programme.
∙ Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice
∙ Input and update of accurate data and information to facilitate of project activities, and institutionalize and disseminate knowledge.
∙ Use of technology and electronic systems and tools to initiate work, share information with colleagues and clients.
Stipend will be provided.
Impact of Results
The key results directly contribute to preparation of water services infrastructure component of the master plans for the four towns. Timely and accountable delivery of services, ensures client satisfaction and promotes the image and credibility of the team and office as an effective service provider in project services and management. This enhances UNOPS’ competitive position as a partner of choice in sustainable development and project services in the country/region served.
Education -University degree in civil engineering within three (3) years prior to the applications date of the internship.
-Autocad 3D Civils software knowledge would be an asset
- Applicants are not required to have professional work experience.
- Fluency in written and oral Arabic is required.
- Fluency in written and oral English required.
Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles. Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role). Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries. Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements. Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving. Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
Contract type, level and duration
- Contract type: Internship
- Contract level: Intern
- Contract duration: 3 Months
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Background Information - Sudan
The UNOPS Sudan office is based in Khartoum and works closely with the Government of Sudan and international partners to support humanitarian response, recovery and development initiatives. UNOPS is the United Nations sector lead for the Basic Infrastructure Sector in Sudan and helps partners achieve their project goals in sectors including: water resource management, education, census and elections, human resource management and mine action.