Application deadline 1 year ago: Tuesday 14 Sep 2021 at 23:59 UTCOpen application form
This is a LICA-6 contract. This kind of contract is known as Local Individual Contractor Agreements. It is normally only for nationals. It's an external contract. It usually requires 6 years of experience, depending on education. More about LICA-6 contracts.
Background Information - Job-specific
The United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS) is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners' peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Mandated as a central resource of the United Nations, UNOPS provides sustainable project management, procurement and infrastructure services to a wide range of governments, donors and United Nations organisations. With over 6,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, UNOPS offers its partners the logistical, technical and management knowledge they need, where they need it. By implementing around 1,000 projects for our partners at any given time, UNOPS makes significant contributions to results on the ground, often in the most challenging environments.
Background: AUMCO The Austria Multi-Country Office (AUMCO) was set up in August 2019 as a part of the UNOPS Europe & Central Asia Region (ECR). Specifically, AUMCO aims to enable achievement of Agenda 2030 and the Paris Agreement through global programmes and tailored interventions in the Balkans, South Caucasus, and Central Asia, focused on:
- Project Management (full service, back on track)
- HR and Transactional Services
- Grant Management
- Technical and Advisory Services
Background: Project The Government of Albania agreed with the World Bank Group for soft loan in response to COVID 19 pandemic. Due to a good result that UNOPS had with implementation of the EU Assistance to Albanian Government in COVID-19 response, Government of Albania, respectively Ministry of Health and Social Protection (MoHSP) approached UNOPS to implement also this project
- Supply of medical equipment and refurbishment for hospitals
- Assessment, design and supervision of Civil Works for the improvement in Infectious Disease Clinic in Mother Teresa Hospital and Public Health Institute
- Civil Works for the rehabilitation of Infrastructure improvements in Infectious Disease Clinic in Mother Teresa Hospital and Public Health Institute
- Medical Equipment and refurbishment in Infectious Disease Clinic in Mother Teresa Hospital and Medical equipment and refurbishment of Public Health Institute and laboratories network
- Supply of Life Saving Medical Ambulances for all the main tertiary hospitals in Tirana and all regions.
Purpose and Scope of Assignment
Under the overall supervision of the Project Manager and reporting directly to the Civil Engineer, the Associate Engineer is expected to support the implementation of the project activities through the provision of technical expertise and the application of best practices in the project implementation. The Associate Engineer, who is expected to be working in the Project Site office, will assist the Civil Engineer to oversee implementation of contracted works in conforming to the technical specifications of UNOPS. Any situation that may require decision making which will involve changes in the designs and plan will be brought to the notice of the Project Manager with details of issues encountered at site and appropriate recommendations.
Specifically, the Associate Engineer will be responsible for supervision of contractors and other tasks on several construction sites and shall perform the following duties and responsibilities:
- Report and recommend remedial actions regarding potential delays and/or cost overruns to the Project Manager (Infrastructure).
- Provide supervision on the construction and engineering works progress and quality for delivering the project within the contract’s time for completion and technical specifications.
- Monitor and measure the execution of work’s quantity through the agreed Bill of Quantities (BoQ) as per the contract.
- Provide data and information about project progress to the Project Manager for reporting purposes.
Provide weekly and monthly reports to the Project Manager (Infrastructure) detailing all project matters including quality, health and safety, environmental and financial, as well as any issues relating to possible delays, cost overruns, variations and any other matter as agreed with the Head of Office.
As tasked by the Civil Engineer supervise construction and engineering works and administer works execution as per the contractual provisions and the design specifications.
- Support the overall management of works implementation to ensure the execution of construction and engineering works are in compliance with contract’s time for completion, budget and technical specifications / quality standards.
- Assist the Civil Engineer with the preparation of project/contracts related documentations such as periodic progress reports, site monitoring reports, stakeholder meeting minutes, engineer’s instructions and variation orders, contractor’s bills review reports, certifications, client hand-over documents and contracts close-out reports.
- Assist the Civil Engineer with reviewing electrical/ mechanical detailed designs, technical specification and reports, prepared by design consultants.
- Support on preparation of solicitation documents for tendering such as BoQs, technical specifications, drawings.
- Implement quality controls (QC) and quality assurance (QA) procedures, to ensure all infrastructure projects are correctly initiated, managed, monitored, reported and closed in accordance with UNOPS policies and procedures.
- Monitor the contractor’s HSSE project’s site implementation plan.
Knowledge sharing and management
- Contribute to the project evaluation process; highlight challenges associated with the project and feedback into a continuous improvement cycle.
- Provide training and knowledge transfer to national/contractor personnel including advice on good construction and engineering practices, environmental management practices, and appropriate health and safety standards during construction.
- Contribute to the dissemination and sharing of best practices and lessons learned for development planning and knowledge building.
- Participate in the relevant Communities of Practice, actively interact with other Engineers and the Engineering community to share case studies, lessons learned and best practice on the Knowledge System
- Provide feedback to Practice Leads on policy, supporting guidance with an aim towards continuous improvement of UNOPS policies.
- Ensure accurate and timely reporting of progress and conditions on site through daily site records prepared and submitted by the engineering team.
- Ensure that issues, risks and lessons learned are identified, managed and documented throughout the project stages (using UNOPS tools) and shared with the supervisor.
- Prepare and submit to the Project Manager as a minimum monthly(or as requested) report within 5 days of month-end, summarizing progress of contractor activities, quality control issues, health & safety issues, environmental issues, resourcing and scheduling issues, and any other relevant pertinent facts as required.
- Produce any appropriate documentation identified by the Project Manager (Infrastructure) and Civil Engineer in a professional and accurate manner.
Impact of results
The effective and successful achievement of results by the Associate Engineer directly impacts the successful delivery of the project on time, budget and quality above the expectations of all stakeholders. This consequently reinforces the visibility and image of UNOPS as an effective service provider in project services and management and strengthens its competitive position as a partner of choice in sustainable development and project services.
- Master’s Degree preferably in Electrical / Mechanical or other relevant engineering background or related field.
- First Level University Degree with an additional 2 years of relevant experience may be accepted in lieu of the Master’s Degree requirement.
- Minimum 6 years relevant experience related to the project requirements, in building construction management and supervision is required.
- Ability to deliver projects on time, within budget in a demanding cultural context with transitional government partners under challenging physical conditions and limited national infrastructure is required.
- Relevant experience implementing works under complex quality, safety and environmental management plans is essential. 2 years’ experience of full time site management directing engineering technical trade staff is essential.
- Experience in the UN system organizations and/or a developing country is desirable.
Language Requirements:- Excellent (written and oral) English language skills are required. - Knowledge of Albanian language is considered an asset.
Contract type, level and duration
*Contract type: International Individual Contract Agreement (LICA), Ongoing
Contract level: LICA-6/ ICS-6
Contract duration: Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance.
Duty Station: Albania*
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link: https://www.unops.org/english/Opportunities/job-opportunities/what-we-offer/Pages/Individual-Contractor-Agreements.aspx
Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.(for levels IICA-2, IICA-3, LICA Specialist- 10, LICA Specialist-11, NOC, NOD, P3, P4 and above) Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles. Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role). Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries. Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements. Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving. Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- For retainer contracts, you must complete a few Mandatory Courses (around 4 hours) in your own time, before providing services to UNOPS.
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.