The position holder will support in implementation, monitoring, and engagement with project stakeholders on WASH interventions. s/he will also support in the community engagement and mobilization for all activities both water supply, sanitation, and hygiene.
The WATSAN assistant shall provide necessary support to the WATSAN Officer to design, plan, implement and monitor technical WASH assessments, community meetings, site monitoring visits and meetings with key stakeholders. She/he will ensure that an engagement approach to working with communities, the local authorities, partners other stakeholders is employed, and all activities are carried out in a way that is sensitive to community needs and promotes the full and equal participation of women, men, children, and youth.
Primary responsibilities include:
Project planning and design
- Support in the planning, Design and follow up on the water supply and sanitation initiatives. - Support in the needs assessments and proposal development for potential water supply and sanitation projects. - Support in undertaking Topographical Surveys and GIS activities, feasibility studies, water resource mapping, EIA support.
- Support in the development of structural designs including drawings and BOQs. - Ensure community mobilization in all field activities related to water supply, hygiene and sanitation are conducted. - Support in the supervision of both civil and electromechanical works on site according to the design specifications, approved donor guidelines and humanitarian standards. - Support in the preparation and conducting of training for WMCs, other Community structures (SMCs, CHWs, CHEWs, Youth Groups) and local authorities.
Project monitoring and evaluation
- Support in timely delivery of projects activities. - Ensure that up to date project documents are in place including approved drawings, design reports, work plans, log frame, detailed project implementation plan, distribution lists. - Support in the filing of minutes, work certificates, site reports, contract documents, - Support in the documentation of lessons learnt and good practices during project meetings, community meetings and trainings.
Fundraising and networking
- Support in the development of technically sound proposals.
Coordination and Collaboration
- Support in the coordination with the relevant contractors, County Government ministries and departments, Community based organizations, Faith based organizations and NGOs and other relevant departments in providing technical support and assistance to WASH activities. - Under the guidance of the WATSAN officer contributes towards strengthening of integration of WASH programming with the other key IRC program Sectors. - Assist in follow up on WASH support functions including procurements, quality control of materials delivered by suppliers, logistics plan.
- Collection, consolidation, of relevant data. - Submit Weekly (or when necessary) written reports. - Support in the development of monthly, quarterly, semi- annual and end of projects reports in accordance with donors’ and IRC Kenya requirements. - Support in the development, monitoring and evaluation WASH project indicators and standards - Maintain an up-to-date activity tracking tool (soft copies and hard copies) of all water supply, hygiene, and sanitation related activities. - Actively participate in inter-sectoral activities - Support WASH department in other tasks, roles and responsibilities as may be assigned by the supervisor.
- Degree/Diploma in Civil engineering, soil and water engineering, environmental engineering, or related field. A minimum of one year experience working/programming in WASH, humanitarian work or development.
Required Experience & Competencies:
- Minimum of 1-year relevant work experience in WASH, survey, GIS, community development - Experience in community engagement approaches, participatory approaches, and community negotiation - Excellent verbal and written communication skills - Strong interpersonal skills and ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with a team. - Ability to conduct community WASH needs assessment, program planning, implementation, monitoring, and evaluation of WASH activities. - Good understanding of SPHERE and other humanitarian standards - Good computer application skills (MS-Office, CAD, Arcgis, application software to engineering designs).
Standards of Professional Conduct: The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in the IRC Way – Code of Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, Accountability and Equality. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Harassment-Free Workplace, Fiscal Integrity, Anti-Retaliation, Combating Trafficking in Persons, and several others.
Gender Equality: IRC is committed to narrowing the gender gap in leadership positions. We offer benefits that provide an enabling environment for women to participate in our workforce including parental leave, gender-sensitive security protocols and other supportive benefits and allowance.
Kenyan nationals are encouraged to apply. International allowances are not available for this position. Salary and employee benefits are compliant to the Kenyan NGO Sector.
IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and considers all applicants based on merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability.
Please take note that the International Rescue Committee (IRC) does not ask for any fees in connection with its recruitment processes.