UNV Fire Safety Offficer
Application deadline 1 year ago: Thursday 19 Aug 2021 at 23:59 UTCOpen application form
This is a UNV International Specialist contract. This kind of contract is known as International UN Volunteer. It is normally internationally recruited only. More about UNV International Specialist contracts.
Description of task
Under the overall supervision of the Principal Security Advisor (PSA) and the direct supervision of the Chief Fire Safety Unit and within limits of delegated authority, the UNV Fire Safety Officer may be responsible for the following duties: (These duties are generic and may not be performed by all Fire Safety Officers):
- Assists the PSA/CSO/FSO in the establishment and planning process of and for a structural fire service including mobile elements as required for the field mission;
- Assists the Officer in Charge of the Fire Safety Unit in the management of all aspects or supervises a Fire Unit and/or performs Officer in Charge functions for a medium scale fire service;
- Establishes and maintains productive liaison with authorities of host government fire, disaster relief and emergency services;
- Ensures the establishment and effective management of a 24/7 Fire Service capable of controlling fire incidents, HAZMAT spills, vehicle accidents and other emergency situations; drafts the Fire Safety Plan and Emergency Evacuation Plan;
- Coordinates and supervises drills and training sessions;
- Provides supervision, monitoring and coordination in accordance with the Fire Safety Plan and Emergency Evacuation Plan;
- Ensures the coordination of fire safety issues with facilities mission’s personnel, host country authorities and organization management;
- Coordinates professional fire safety risk assessments and fire safety inspections; reports all shortcomings and supervises the timely rectification of such;
- Conducts technical assessments/evaluations of Fire Detection and Alarm Systems (FDAS);
- Drafts specifications for all equipment and devices, including FDAS and Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) such as: protective clothing, self-contained breathing apparatuses (SCBA including filling compressors and testing devices), fire extinguishers, hoses and nozzles, portable pumps, immobile and fixed pumps, rescue equipment, etc., as well as fire service vehicles and provides for the maintenance of their continuous full state of readiness;
- Plans static installations and systems such as: FDAS standpipes, water supply, hydrant systems, extinguishing systems, spill basins, construction components (for fire partition), lightning protection, explosion proof installations, smoke extraction systems, public address systems, etc. and drafts technical specifications thereof;
- Establishes, maintains and supervises a functional Fire Warden System;
- Conducts fire safety awareness briefings and training for mission’s staff and other UN personnel;
- Conducts fire prevention, suppression and rescue training for unit’s personnel as part of the Fire Safety Plan;
- Plans and supervises facility evacuation / fire drill rehearsals at least twice a year;
- Actively leads fire/emergency intervention activities;
- Coordinates and conducts specialized (advanced) trainings on fire safety.
- Responsible and Focal point of all the sectors.
- Supervises inspection and maintenance of all systems, installations and devices within the area of responsibility.
Educational additional comments
A minimum of high school diploma is required
Fire truck pump operator is required
Firefighting and Rescue Academy Diploma is required
Basic First Aid/Life Support qualification is an asset
Training in basic instructional techniques is an asset
Physically fit for long firefighting operations under full Personal Protective Equipment and SCBA in harsh weather conditions.
- English(Mandatory), Level - Fluent
- French(Mandatory), Level - Working Knowledge
Area of expertise details
Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PPT) Intermediate
Heavy duty driving license required
Adaptability and Flexibility, Commitment and Motivation, Communication, Ethics and Values, Integrity, Planning and Organizing, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity, Working in Teams
- Not yet registered in the UNV Talent Pool? Please first register your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/signup. Important: After creating your account, complete all sections of your profile and submit it. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink. Lastly, select the special call to which you would like to apply. * Already registered in the UNV Talent Pool? Please first update your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/profile. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink to select the special call to which you would like to apply. Application deadline: 27-07-2021