UN-Habitat Media, PR and Communication Associate
Application deadline 3 months ago: Tuesday 21 Jun 2022 at 23:59 UTCOpen application form
This is a SB-3 contract. This kind of contract is known as Service Board / Service Contract. It is normally only for nationals. More about SB-3 contracts.
Governments at the 19th Session of the UN-Habitat Governing Council, adopted by consensus resolution 19/18 calling on UN-Habitat to establish a Special Human Settlements Programme for the Palestinian People (SHSPPP) and a Technical Cooperation Trust Fund (TCTF). The long-term development objective of the SHSPPP is to improve the human settlements conditions of the Palestinian People and in so doing contribute in a modest way to reaching peace, security and stability in the region. During the recent 23rd Governing Council, a new resolution was adopted, requesting UN-Habitat "to further focus its operations on planning, land and housing issues in view of improving the housing and human settlement conditions of Palestinians, addressing the urbanization challenges, supporting the building of a Palestinian State, humanitarian action and peace-building, in the areas where there are acute humanitarian and development needs, identified through technical assessments by UN-Habitat in coordination with all concerned parties".
The United Nations Human Settlements Programme (UN-Habitat) is the agency for human settlements. It is mandated by the UN General Assembly to promote socially and environmentally sustainable towns and cities with the goal of providing adequate shelter for all. The post is located in the Special Human Settlements Programme for the Palestinian People.
UN-Habitat is leading the implementation of a 5.5-year EU funded Project: “Quality Urban Development and Sustainable Interventions – Rehabilitation for Revitalization (QUDSI-R4R)” in partnership with local technical and academic entities. The Project aims to improve socio-economic conditions for Palestinians in the Old City of Jerusalem by rehabilitating towards revitalizing historic sites as a catalyst for Palestinian integrated urban regeneration. The activities of the project focus on strengthening the old city’s Palestinian intergovernmental coordination; Rehabilitation and maintenance as well as business development and sustainability of key areas in the Old City; as well as professional capacity building for individuals who work in the Old City’s regeneration, advancing their professional development in several core competencies capable of unlocking new commercial opportunities in the economic sector. In parallel, the project also includes an interconnected track of Technological Empowerment and Innovation directed to Palestinian youth.
Funded by the European Union, UN-Habitat is seeking a candidate to fill the position of Media, PR, and Communication Associate, under the overall guidance and the direct supervision of the Project Manager. As this position is related to QUDSI-R4R project in the occupied Palestinian territory with an expected duration of five and half years, the Service Contract extension will be conditioned to satisfactory performance evaluation as well as availability of funding under the project.
Duties and Responsibilities
1) Manage all internal and external communications for QUDSI R4R project, in partnership with project team, and ensure that high quality, strategic communication plans are consistently implemented, this includes:
- Constantly assist with the revision and editing of project related texts and/or documents prepared by the team that will be published. The communication specialist must ensure clarity, accuracy, relevance, and engaging narratives in all materials that the project team produce as well as the project partners.
- Helping project team to implement the communication aspects in the field they focus on either construction work, operation aspect, youth engagement, etc.
- Monitor and analyze periodic events, workshops and activities related to QUDSI project
- Write and/or oversee the preparation, production, and dissemination of both routine and complex outreach products (e.g., media packets, news releases, articles, PowerPoint presentations, brochures, videos, websites, speeches, briefing notes, feature stories, etc.) that promote the image of the QUDSI R4R project. Therefore the specialist must have excellent Arabic and English knowledge to write, edit, translate and publish documents related to the project in both language.
- Plan, coordinate, schedule, and work on logistics by closely coordinating with the UN-Habitat team and QUDSI project team which include periodic visits, major conferences and seminars, and other outreach activities on development agenda.
- Develop an annual and comprehensive communication work plan for the QUDSI R4R project with respect to all its component and in coordination with the project’s team and stakeholders.
- Manage in coordination with UN-Habitat team, all procurement process of all communication related tenders and RFQs.
- Develop project branding theme in coordination with the project team to be implemented by all project partners.
- Take the lead on the annual narrative report preparation and compiling, including writing the yearly updates and accomplishments, updating the project components’ status, organizing the annexes and graphic designing the entire report with suitable use of photos.
2) Take the lead on all UN-Habitat’s media related tasks connected with the project, which includes:
- Periodically prepare, produce and disseminate visual products, graphics and infographics related to the project and related activities. This includes printable and electronic products.
- Periodically develop, maintain and update a digital photo record for the project.
- Manage the media relations and products of the partners and stakeholders, when needed.
- Designing and monitoring the printing of layout booklets, leaflets, pagers, and posters and other UN-Habitat project publications, as per the workplan. Also all partners’ publications design shall be supervised to ensure it meets the project’s standards.
- Take periodic artistic and high quality photos and videos to cover the progress of the project with all its components. The products shall be edited as needed, to use for suitable use in publications and PR needs.Periodically write human stories, impact stories, and photo stories to highlight the impact and good practices generated under the project
3) He/she has overall responsibility for all communication activities related to Dar Al Consul Center, that includes:
- Together with the operation partners of the center, produce and disseminate quarterly newsletter highlighting achievements
- Ensure that all products, documents, materials and events carried out by the partners in the center comply with the project overall vision and theme.
- Create, manage and constantly update Dar Al Consul center online content including website and social media platform.
4) He/she will also support any other project-related activities, needs, duties or outcomes as needed/will arise by the UN-Habitat management.
Impact of Results
1- Reach wider audiences and project become visible for all by building networks with all stakeholders and other UN agencies.
2- Determine best Methods for Engaging Stakeholders and Partners.
3- Contribute to organization strategic plan.
4- Increase awareness, generate leads, and drive conversions to help the project accomplish its objective
Innovation: Ability to make new and useful ideas work
Leadership: Ability to persuade others to follow
People Management: Ability to improve performance and satisfaction
Communication: Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform
Delivery: Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement
Teamwork: Ability to work in harmony with other team members and provide support where needed, and build consensus for task purpose and direction with team members.
Accountability: Ability to take ownership for work and honors commitments and deliver outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time cost and quality standards.
Knowledge Management and Learning: Ability to shares knowledge and experience. And actively works towards continuing personal learning, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills.
Leadership and Self-Management: Ability to Focuses on result for the client and responds positively to feedback. Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude and remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure.
Development and Operational Effectiveness: Ability to perform a variety of specialized tasks related to Results Management, including support to design, planning and implementation of programme, managing data, reporting. Ability to provide input to business processes re-engineering, implementation of new system, including new IT based systems. Good knowledge of Results Management Guide and Toolkit.
Required Skills and Experience
A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in communication or equivalent communication-related field
- Minimum of 3 (three) years working experience on Media, PR and communication related issues.
- Human rights issues knowledge and background, specifically relating to advocacy, youth and women.
- Strong knowledge of the Jerusalem context, especially the old city and its sensitivities needs, is a must.
- Familiarity with UN procedures; and UN-Habitat in particular is an asset.
- Fluency in spoken and written English and Arabic.
- Hebrew language is an asset.
- Highly developed verbal and effective written communications skills.
- Has excellent working knowledge of digital media, including social media platforms and processes – particularly Facebook and Twitter – with experience in creating and sharing digital content.
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize and to work under pressure.
- Excellent networking and partnering competencies, resource mobilization and negotiation skills would be advantage.
- Experience with international organization and familiarity with UN conventions would be an asset.
- Ability to use information technology as an effective tool and resource.
- Excellent photography skills and photo editing.
- Excellent working knowledge of MS Office-Word, Excel, Power Point; Adobe creative suite, video editing softwares.
- Sound judgment, excellent analytical skills, strong networking and interpersonal skills, ability to plan, organize and coordinate work and to cope with a demanding workload is expected.
- Valid Jerusalem Driver License is an asset.
APPLICATIONS WITHOUT THE COMPLETED UNDP P-11 FORM WILL BE TREATED AS INCOMPLETE AND WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED.
UNDP P11 form (new Personal History form) (google.com). Kindly ensure to upload both CV and P-11 as one document as the system will only allow one attachment.