UN-Habitat Business Development and Operational Associate
Application deadline 3 months ago: Tuesday 21 Jun 2022 at 23:59 UTCOpen application form
This is a SB-3 contract. This kind of contract is known as Service Board / Service Contract. It is normally only for nationals. More about SB-3 contracts.
Governments at the 19th Session of the UN-Habitat Governing Council, adopted by consensus resolution 19/18 calling on UN-Habitat to establish a Special Human Settlements Programme for the Palestinian People (SHSPPP) and a Technical Cooperation Trust Fund (TCTF). The long-term development objective of the SHSPPP is to improve the human settlements conditions of the Palestinian People and in so doing contribute in a modest way to reaching peace, security and stability in the region. During the recent 23rd Governing Council, a new resolution was adopted, requesting UN-Habitat "to further focus its operations on planning, land and housing issues in view of improving the housing and human settlement conditions of Palestinians, addressing the urbanization challenges, supporting the building of a Palestinian State, humanitarian action and peace-building, in the areas where there are acute humanitarian and development needs, identified through technical assessments by UN-Habitat in coordination with all concerned parties".
The United Nations Human Settlements Programme (UN-Habitat) is the agency for human settlements. It is mandated by the UN General Assembly to promote socially and environmentally sustainable towns and cities with the goal of providing adequate shelter for all. The post is located in the Special Human Settlements Programme for the Palestinian People.
UN-Habitat is leading the implementation of a 5.5-year EU funded Project: “Quality Urban Development and Sustainable Interventions – Rehabilitation for Revitalization (QUDSI-R4R)” in partnership with local technical and academic entities. The Project aims to improve socio-economic conditions for Palestinians in the Old City of Jerusalem by rehabilitating towards revitalizing historic sites as a catalyst for Palestinian integrated urban regeneration. The activities of the project focus on strengthening the old city’s Palestinian intergovernmental coordination; Rehabilitation and maintenance as well as business development and sustainability of key areas in the Old City; as well as professional capacity building for individuals who work in the Old City’s regeneration, advancing their professional development in several core competencies capable of unlocking new commercial opportunities in the economic sector. In parallel, the project also includes an interconnected track of Technological Empowerment and Innovation directed to Palestinian youth”.
Funded by the European Union, UN-Habitat- is seeking a candidate to fill the position of Business Development and Operational Associate , under the overall guidance and the direct supervision of the Project Manager. As this position is related to QUDSI-R4R project in the occupied Palestinian territory with an expected duration of five and half years, the Service Contract extension will be conditioned to satisfactory performance evaluation as well as availability of funding under the project.
Duties and Responsibilities
1) Preparation of a detailed functional program and correlation with a spatial/interior layout/design:
• Facilitation of property owner and other project stakeholders brainstorming /planning sessions to formulate needs, priorities, actions, responsibilities and time frames for the process of preparing the functional program.
• Design of the structure of needs assessment and market survey /research, including the identification of tools to be used, data to be collected, results to be achieved and documentation of the process and results; then its execution.
• Facilitating/overseeing the final preparation as well as initial execution of the functional programs based on the completed needs assessment and market research.
• Overseeing the dovetailing of the functional program into the design concept for the rehabilitation works.
2) Development of the final institutional and management options for the new locations operations:
• Reviewing and presenting options for the individual institutional framework for their management.
• Facilitating/guiding the development of an individual institutional framework for their management.
• Facilitating/guiding the work on the creation of a sustainability and Fundraising body.
3) Preparation of a comprehensive business model, as well as branding and marketing strategy:
• Facilitating brainstorming/planning sessions with consultants and stakeholders to determine the aims, structure, contents and priorities of the business model and branding strategy.
• Overseeing/guiding the preparation and development of the business model and branding strategy.
• Guiding the development of the services/products that will be marketed and sold in the locations.
4) Functions and Products Pricing:
• Consolidation of all key functions, products and services to be offered through, and building the financial breakdown of each as a business line,
• Further development of the market research to come up with pricing of products and their relevant cost structures,
• Model the main activities’ demand forecasts and revenue generating potentials
• Model the administrative, operational and cost structures of functions/products and services.
5) Partnerships Setup and Financial modeling:
• Identification of the partnership setups and formal agreements with foreseen partners and service/products operators.
• Build a 3-year financial plan with profit/loss and cash flow forecasts,
• Required start-up and operational resources,
• In association with a local legal advisor capture the legal aspects of operation into the financial model in terms of taxes and profitability,
• Include the implications of the modes of agreements with operational partners in the financial model.
• Have the financial model presented as a programmed excel model (a working format in excel) to be used by the project stakeholders in the future.
• Conduct 2 workshops for training and handover to a team of revenue and financial experts on the management and Operation of the new locations.
6) Identity Plan:
• Develop and execute workshop/s on developing the new locations identity with the project partners and key stakeholders.
• Develop the identity touch points of the center, designed to have the greatest impact on visitor experiences while capturing the project and its partner’s objectives.
• Develop a 4-part identity touch point action plan that covers: 1) visual identity of the place, 2) the narratives/story messages that carry over the identity, 3) visual references for guiding an identity-based design and 4) a proposal for permanent identity installations.
• Art design of permanent identity installations as a work of art within itself that can build strong statements within the building architectural and interior design.
• Coordinate with the project Architect the incorporation of identity design elements and installations in the overall architectural and interior design of the complex.
• Provide ongoing support to review the visual styles and brand design efforts by the selected graphic designer and help realize the various designer outputs in line with the identity and the brand.
7) On-line presence and E-marketing:
• Network and/or lead the development of online and mobile marketing and purchasing strategies to enable information, marketing and purchases though the web site and mobile platform, which also includes emphasis on the future career services of the site.
• Facilitate the design, web and mobile sites’ user experience and content to reflect the entire new service providers/business providers and outreach strategy. Both will act as messaging centers and promotional and marketing tools and to connect the new locations target to content.
• Provide prototypes for the website and mobile app as semi-functional mock-ups of the design.
• Prepare TORs for companies to be hired to develop the website and the mobile app
8) Preparation of the organizational structure and operation plans:
• Facilitating initial brainstorming/planning sessions with consultants and stakeholders to determine the aims, structure, contents of the organizational structure and operation plan.
• Drafting of the organizational structure and operation plan including the setup of the Initial management and administrative systems and operational mechanisms
9) Establishment of tourist/local community use facility and Hospitality Plan:
• Designing tourist-friendly as well as local community friendly facilities and events program within the complex including an outline for any proposed display panels content.
• He/she will also support any other project-related activities, needs, duties or outcomes as needed/will arise by the UN-Habitat management.
Impact of Results
• Strategic Initiatives or Partnerships as it weighs all of the pros and cons of the available options and selects the one that best serves the business.
• Business development strategy which describes the strategy will be used to accomplish project objective.
• Marketing which increases awareness of UN and partners among their target audience — and a stronger flow of qualified leads and opportunities.
• Align business development processes and procedures with the project strategic business goals. The role of strategic business development is to acquire ideal clients for the project highest priority services.
Innovation: Ability to make new and useful ideas work
Leadership: Ability to persuade others to follow
People Management: Ability to improve performance and satisfaction
Communication: Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform
Delivery: Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement
Teamwork: Ability to work in harmony with other team members and provide support where needed, and build consensus for task purpose and direction with team members.
Accountability: Ability to take ownership for work and honors commitments and deliver outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time cost and quality standards.
Knowledge Management and Learning: Ability to shares knowledge and experience. And actively works towards continuing personal learning, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills.
Leadership and Self-Management: Ability to Focuses on result for the client and responds positively to feedback. Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude and remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure.
Development and Operational Effectiveness: Ability to perform a variety of specialized tasks related to Results Management, including support to design, planning and implementation of programme, managing data, reporting. Ability to provide input to business processes re-engineering, implementation of new system, including new IT based systems. Good knowledge of Results Management Guide and Toolkit.
Required Skills and Experience
• A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in business administration, economics, engineering or other related field.
• Strong knowledge of the Jerusalem context, especially the old city and its sensitivities needs, is a must.
• Familiarity with UN procedures; and UN-Habitat in particular is an asset.
• Fluency in spoken and written English and Arabic; Hebrew language is an asset.
• Highly developed verbal and effective written communications skills.
• A committed, passionate self-starter with creativity and innovative thinking skills
• Ability to work in team and meet deadlines.
• Results-oriented, flexible, and problem-solving skills
• Has excellent working knowledge on communicating, reaching out and dealing with unique communities
• Ability to multi-task, prioritize and to work under pressure.
• Excellent networking and partnering competencies, resource mobilization and negotiation skills would be advantage.
• Experience with international organization and familiarity with UN conventions would be an asset.
• Ability to use information technology as an effective tool and resource.
• Excellent working knowledge of MS Office-Word, Excel, Power Point.
• Sound judgment, excellent analytical skills, strong networking and interpersonal skills, ability to plan, organize and coordinate work and to cope with a demanding workload is expected.
• Valid Jerusalem Driver License is an asset.
• Results framework matrices; experience on disability inclusion indicators is an asset.
• Proven analytical capability and strengths in aggregating data from diverse sources into consolidated, synthesized documents.
• Expertise analyzing data using quantitative, qualitative, and mixed methods
• Experience in data analytics, data visualization, and the manipulation of data sets
• Strong organizational skills, effective attention to detail, ability to prioritize and meet deadlines
• Valid Jerusalem Driver License is an asset.
APPLICATIONS WITHOUT THE COMPLETED UNDP P-11 FORM WILL BE TREATED AS INCOMPLETE AND WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED.
UNDP P11 form (new Personal History form) (google.com). Kindly ensure to upload both CV and P-11 as one document as the system will only allow one attachment.