Application deadline 6 months ago: Thursday 17 Dec 2020
This is a UNV National Specialist contract. This kind of contract is known as National UN Volunteer. It is normally only for nationals. More about UNV National Specialist contracts.
Minimum age: 22 years old. Applicants must be nationals of or legal residents in the country of assignment.
Description of task
Within the delegated authority, the UN Volunteer Translator/Interpreter will be responsible for the following duties: - Services up to seven meetings per week (exceptionally eight); - Provides consecutive and simultaneous interpretation form the local language (s) to designated UN working language (s) and vice versa at various meetings or areas of activity of the United Nations, using the appropriate terminology, as and when the need arises; - Provides escort (field) interpretation for meetings with UNITAD team, and facilitates communication during official visits, as required;
English of speeches given in Arabic. - May occasionally be assigned to sensitive meetings. - Translates documents covering a broad range of subjects dealt with by UNITAD, i.e. Legal, criminal investigation, international accountability mechanisms etc.; - May perform other related duties, as required.
Required degree level:
Education - Additional Comments:
- A High School degree is required; - At least five years of professional interpreting and translation experience is required;
• Relevant language experience within the UN System is desirable; • Experience working in any of the following domains is desirable: legal, criminal investigation or international accountability mechanisms; • Experience working in a conflict or post-conflict environment will be an asset.
- Arabic(Mandatory), Level - Fluent
- English(Mandatory), Level - Fluent
- Kurdish(Optional), Level - Working Knowledge
Area of expertise:
Translation and interpretation
Area of expertise details:
Experience in the usage of computers and office software
Adaptability and Flexibility, Commitment and Motivation, Communication, Integrity, Planning and Organizing, Professionalism, Working in Teams
* Not yet registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first register your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/signup. Important: After creating your account, complete all sections of your profile and submit it. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink. Lastly, select the special call to which you would like to apply.
* Already registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first update your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/profile. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink to select the special call to which you would like to apply.
This is a national UN Volunteer assignment, therefore only nationals of Iraq and legal residents in Iraq with the status of refugee or with the status of being stateless are eligible to apply.
Application deadline: 17-12-2020