Technical Officer, Tropical and Vector-borne Diseases (SUR)
Application deadline 1 year ago: Tuesday 2 Mar 2021 at 22:59 UTCOpen application form
This is a P-3 contract. This kind of contract is known as Professional and Director staff. It is normally internationally recruited only. It's a staff contract. It usually requires 5 years of experience, depending on education.
The salary for this job should be between 100,776 USD and 131,958 USD.
Salary for a P-3 contract in ParamariboThe international rate of 74,649 USD, with an additional 35% at this the location, applies.
Please keep in mind that the salary displayed here is an estimation by UN Talent based on the location and the type of contract. It may vary depending on the organization. The recruiter should be able to inform you about the exact salary range. In case the job description contains another salary information, please refer to this one.More about P-3 contracts and their salaries.
OBJECTIVE OF THE OFFICE/DEPARTMENT
This requisition is for employment at the Pan American Health Organization (PAHO)/Regional Office of the World Health Organization (WHO)
The Communicable Diseases and Environmental Determinants of Health Department (CDE) promotes, coordinates, and implements technical cooperation activities directed toward the surveillance, prevention, control, elimination and/or reduction of communicable diseases, zoonosis and environmental threats to health that are technically sound and appropriate for the political and sociocultural context in which they are implemented. It strives to achieve a sustainable impact on health by providing normative guidance, furthering the implementation of evidence-based interventions, fostering alliances that strengthen country capacity, improving the effectiveness of inter-country collaboration, and facilitating policy and decision-making processes.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
Under the direct supervision of the PAHO/WHO Representative and the technical guidance of the Unit Chief, Neglected, Tropical and Vector-borne Diseases (CDE/VT), the incumbent is responsible for, but not necessarily limited to, the following assigned duties:
- Facilitate the continued implementation of the Framework for Artemisinin Resistance Prevention, Containment, and Elimination activities in the Country including joint efforts targeted at the elimination of malaria in bordering Member States in the Guyana Shield;
- Provide technical cooperation for the Country’s efforts in strengthening surveillance systems for malaria and the goal of malaria elimination;
- Promote and facilitate inter-country cooperation and coordination of collaborative interventions for the prevention, control and elimination of malaria, dengue and other priority neglected infectious diseases;
- Provide technical cooperation on the implementation of entomological interventions including the monitoring and management of insecticide resistance using an Integrated Vector Management (IVM) strategy;
- Facilitate capacity building to strengthen the health system response to the management of and where feasible, the elimination of communicable diseases;
- Collaborate in the development and implementation of strategic plans and work plans for malaria, and other vector-borne diseases in support of the Country’s national strategies and resource mobilization efforts;
- Promote and provide technical cooperation in planning and implementation of operational research in malaria, and vector-borne diseases;
- Promote activities to sensitize the Country and mobilize political support for PAHO/WHO’s strategic priorities and foster commitment of key stakeholders in engaging in joint activities in areas of common epidemiological interest;
- Promote alliances and operational associations among institutions from different sectors of the society, at different governmental levels (national, regional and local) for prevention and control of vector-borne diseases;
- Provide technical support for the preparation of proposals for submission to the Global Fund and other financial institutions, as well as the implementation of work plans with approved proposals in the Country including for HIV and Tuberculosis;
- Perform other related duties, as assigned.
Essential: A university degree in a health discipline related to the functions of the position, from a recognized institution.
Desirable: A master's degree in tropical medicine, infectious diseases, epidemiology, entomology or public health. Training in malaria elimination would be an asset.
In the event that your candidature is retained for an interview, you will be required to provide, in advance, a scanned copy of the degree(s)/diploma(s)/certificate(s) required for this position. WHO, only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU) / United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed through the link: http://www.whed.net/. PAHO will also use the databases of the Council for Higher Education Accreditation http://www.chea.org/search/default.asp and College Navigator, found on the website of the National Centre for Educational Statistics, https://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator to support the validation process.
Essential: Seven years of combined national and international experience working in malaria, epidemiology and vector-borne disease prevention and control programs.
Desirable: Proven experience in the operational aspects of prevention, control and elimination of communicable diseases would be an asset.
- Overall attitude at work: Maintains integrity and takes a clear ethical approach and stance; demonstrates commitment to the Organization’s mandate and promotes the values of the Organization in daily work and behavior; is accountable for work carried out in line with own role and responsibilities; is respectful towards, and trusted by, colleagues and counterparts.
- Teamwork: Creates team spirit; promotes collaboration and open communication in the team; proactively supports others; welcomes team responsibilities and drives team results; promotes knowledge sharing in the team. Proactively identifies conflicts and facilitates their resolution in a respectful manner; tactfully resolves conflicts between or with others and takes action to reduce any possible tension; effectively builds a rapport with individuals and teams, establishing good personal and professional relationships, as well as minimizing risk of potential conflict.
- Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences: Treats all people with dignity and respect. Relates well to people with different cultures, gender, orientations, backgrounds and/or positions; examines own behavior to avoid stereotypical responses; considers issues from the perspective of others and values their diversity.
- Communication: Foresees communication needs of audience and targets message accordingly. Facilitates open communication; encourages others to share their views openly and takes time to understand and consider their views. Writes down ideas in a clear, structured, logical and credible way; drafts and supports the development of guidelines, policies and procedures. Shares relevant information openly and ensures that the shared information is understood; considers knowledge sharing as a constructive working method and demonstrates awareness of the Organization.
- Knowing and Managing Yourself: Remains objective and focused even in a “changing and moving” environment; continues to display positive behavior when facing some constraints; keeps challenges in perspective. Effectively controls own emotions, avoiding displaying them inappropriately; continues to show positive attitude when producing individual results, as well as supporting team’s work; continues to be collaborative with others, even in stressful and challenging circumstances. Sees feedback as a key element in personal and professional development; displays a high level of self-awareness in response to positive and negative feedback, accepts negative feedback positively, moving forward quickly and constructively. Seeks all relevant information for decision making from a wide range of sources; quickly learns new competencies and skills that expand role capability; shows rapid understanding of new and/or complex information relevant to job.
- Producing Results: Prioritizes work and makes planning/Organizational adjustments as necessary; seeks clarification from supervisor on timelines, as needed. Uses feedback and inputs from supervisor to achieve results. Produces quality results and has frequent discussions with supervisor to achieve results. Is action-oriented and sees tasks through to completion. Shows understanding of own role and responsibilities in relation to expected results. Solicits and accepts direction and guidance from supervisor and team members and takes responsibility for own work and actions, as appropriate.
- Moving forward in a changing environment: Actively supports Organizational change initiatives and demonstrates personal commitment to them, including when faced with new demands; proposes workable solutions to challenging situations. Engages in positive responses to a changing environment and promotes workable solutions to achieve own and team’s results. Welcomes, and actively seeks to apply, new ideas, approaches and working methods and technologies in order to improve own and/or team’s work processes and results; demonstrates commitment to Organizational change initiatives.
- Knowledge of program and project management, including planning, setting objectives and targets, monitoring and evaluation, with special focus on budgeting and financing aspects as well as stakeholder mapping, analysis and engagement.
- Strong knowledge and expertise in surveillance, prevention, control and elimination of malaria and other neglected infectious diseases of public health importance.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience working on malaria elimination strategies and prevention and control of neglected diseases in the Region of the Americas.
- Knowledge of entomology and the Integrated Vector Management strategy and its use and application in the prevention and control of vector-borne diseases.
- Knowledge and skills in the development and execution of programs, plans and projects.
- Organizational and managerial skills to effectively manage resources and facilitate interprogrammatic collaborations.
- Ability to analyze technical information and data and to synthetize inputs from multiple sources to support the development of evidence-based strategies, guidelines and training materials.
- Strong professional oral and writing skills, including the preparation of reports, oral presentations, and technical/persuasive documents for consideration at the highest levels of the Organization.
Very good knowledge of English or Spanish with a working knowledge of the other language. Knowledge of French and/or Portuguese would be an asset.
Demonstrated ability to effectively use a computer and utilize software programs such as Microsoft Office, Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook. Other IT skills and knowledge of other software programs such as Visio, Microsoft SharePoint, and Project would be an asset.
Monthly Salary****: (Net of taxes)
US$5,176.67 (Salary non-negotiable)
US$2,039.61 This amount is to be considered as indicative since variations may occur each month either upwards or downwards due to currency exchange rate fluctuations or inflation.
- This vacancy notice may be used to identify candidates for other similar short-term positions at the same level.
- Only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted.
- A written test may be used as a form of screening.
- Any appointment/extension of appointment is subject to PAHO Staff Regulations, Staff Rules and e-Manual.
- For information on PAHO please visit: http://www.paho.org
- PAHO/WHO is committed to workforce diversity.
- PAHO/WHO has a smoke-free environment and does not recruit smokers or users of any form of tobacco.
- Applications from women and from nationals of non and underrepresented Member States are encouraged.
- All applicants are required to complete an on-line profile to be considered for this post.
- The post description is the official documentation for organization purposes.