Technical Officer SIA
Application deadline in 11 days: Wednesday 6 Jul 2022 at 21:59 UTCOpen application form
This is a NO-B contract. This kind of contract is known as National Professional Officers. It is normally only for nationals. It's a staff contract. It usually requires 2 years of experience, depending on education.
The salary for this job should be more than 3,758 USD.
Salary for a NO-B contract in KabulThe salary of a NO-B depends on the duty station. The minimum salary there is 3,758 USD
Please keep in mind that the salary displayed here is an estimation by UN Talent based on the location and the type of contract. It may vary depending on the organization. The recruiter should be able to inform you about the exact salary range. In case the job description contains another salary information, please refer to this one.More about NO-B contracts.
OBJECTIVES OF THE PROGRAMME
To eradicate polio from Afghanistan through high routine immunization coverage, high quality supplementary immunization activities (SIA), and a highly sensitive Acute Flaccid Paralysis (AFP) surveillance system.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
The incumbent will perform the following duties:
1. Take all necessary measures to ensure achievement/maintenance of certification standards for AFP surveillance system; supervise implementation of active surveillance and routine reporting.
2. Undertake regular performance reviews including weekly analysis of AFP surveillance data in order to identify and overcome technical and performance bottle necks and build the epidemiological capacity of field staff through technical assistance.
3. Update the surveillance guidelines, training modules and other materials and assist in development of monitoring and evaluation tools.
4. Facilitate the training and other capacity building activities for national staff and for reporting network.
5. Sustain the maintenance of environmental surveillance system including regular evaluation of existing sites and plan for expansion as required.
6. Undertake frequent travels to different regions of the country, particularly Southern, South-eastern and Eastern regions to supervise surveillance/SIA activities and oversee the process of different type of data collection and timely analysis for its use.
7. Contribute to the planning, implementation and monitoring of supplementary immunization activities (SIAs).
8. Strengthen the surveillance for other vaccine preventable diseases; ensure appropriate monitoring of routine EPI activities and timely analysis of routine EPI data for corrective actions.
9. Collaborate with the Medical Officer and submit monthly reports on the activities undertake
Essential: University Degree in Medicine. Desirable: Postgraduate degree or training in Public Health/Epidemiology/Public Health Administration/ Organization of health services or control of Communicable Diseases.
Essential: At least 2 years relevant experience in the development and implementation of vaccine preventable disease surveillance systems at national/sub-national level with particular expertise in polio. Desirable: Experience of work in UN and/or other international organizations.
Sound technical knowledge on epidemiology and surveillance of vaccine preventable diseases; prevention and control measures; preparedness and response.Ability to establish harmonious working relations with national counterparts and international colleagues.
Teamwork Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences Communication Ensuring the effective use of resources Building and promoting partnerships across the organization and beyond
WHO global Competencies model at http://www.who.int/employment/WHO_competencies_EN.pdf?ua=1
Use of Language Skills
Essential: Expert knowledge of English. Expert knowledge of Local Language. Desirable:
Remuneration comprises an annual base salary starting at USD 45,101 (subject to mandatory deductions for pension contributions and health insurance, as applicable) and 30 days of annual leave.
This vacancy notice may be used to fill other similar positions at the same grade level
Only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted.
A written test may be used as a form of screening.
In the event that your candidature is retained for an interview, you will be required to provide, in advance, a scanned copy of the degree(s)/diploma(s)/certificate(s) required for this position. WHO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU)/United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed through the link: http://www.whed.net/. Some professional certificates may not appear in the WHED and will require individual review.
Any appointment/extension of appointment is subject to WHO Staff Regulations, Staff Rules and Manual.
For information on WHO's operations please visit: http://www.who.int.
WHO is committed to workforce diversity.
WHO prides itself on a workforce that adheres to the highest ethical and professional standards and that is committed to put the WHO Values Charter into practice.
WHO has zero tolerance towards sexual exploitation and abuse (SEA), sexual harassment and other types of abusive conduct (i.e., discrimination, abuse of authority and harassment). All members of the WHO workforce have a role to play in promoting a safe and respectful workplace and should report to WHO any actual or suspected cases of SEA, sexual harassment and other types of abusive conduct. To ensure that individuals with a substantiated history of SEA, sexual harassment or other types of abusive conduct are not hired by the Organization, WHO will conduct a background verification of final candidates.
WHO has a smoke-free environment and does not recruit smokers or users of any form of tobacco.
This is a National Professional Officer position. Therefore, only applications from nationals of the country where the duty station is located will be accepted. Applicants who are not nationals of this country will not be considered.