Technical Expert in Climate Change Vulnerability and Adaptation for Lebanon’s Fourth National Communication to the UNFCCC
Application deadline 8 months ago: Thursday 31 Mar 2022 at 23:59 UTCOpen application form
This is a International Consultant contract. More about International Consultant contracts.
The project aims to enable Lebanon to prepare, produce and disseminate its Third Biennial Update Report (BUR) and Fourth National Communication to the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) in order to fulfill Lebanon’s commitments as a Non-Annex 1 Party to the Convention. The reports present the country’s GHG inventory, implemented sectoral mitigation actions that are contributing in reducing Greenhouse Gas (GHG) emissions, vulnerability and adaptation to climate change, in addition to the main barriers for fulfilling Lebanon’s reporting requirements.
In 2016, theThird National Communication on climate change was submitted to UNFCCC, updating Lebanon’s projections and impacts of climate change, assessing the economic cost of such impacts and
providing information on the progress of adaptation activities. Since 2016, many models and ensembles have been used by different national and regional research institutions to project climatic changes and extreme events for Lebanon. In addition, new research was undertaken to better study the impacts of climate change on agriculture, water and other vulnerable sectors.
The results of this newly generated knowledge are being compiled and summarized in Lebanon’s Fourth National Communication (4NC), which is currently being prepared by the Ministry of Environment with the support of UNDP.
The purpose of this consultancy is to review the draft chapter on climate change vulnerability and adaptation2 prepared by the climate change team and provide additional information in the sections related to climate modeling results, vulnerability assessment and reported adaptation actions with missing information if/when identified. 2. SCOPE OF WORK, RESPONSIBILITIES AND DESCRIPTION OF THE PROPOSED ANALYTICAL WORK
UNDP is seeking the services of a consultant to review the draft chapter on Climate Change Vulnerability and Adaptation of Lebanon’s Fourth National Communication to the UNFCCC, including the sections on 1) climate risk assessment, 2) vulnerability and impact assessment on priority sectors and 3) Recommendation on adaptation actions.
Duties and Responsibilities
The tasks mentioned below shall be performed in close cooperation with the UNDP/Climate change team and the Ministry of Environment. The Consultant should report to the UNDP BUR3/4NC Project Manager.
The UNDP climate change team will provide the consultant with the supporting Documents needed to perform the below-mentioned tasks:
Task 1: Review and complete the section on climate risk assessment in Lebanon
- Review the compiled and summarized information related to the latest results of climate modeling in Lebanon and the region.
- Complete the section with any missing reference, information and related national/regional studies on climate change risks on Lebanon.
- Analyze the results and identify the strengths and weaknesses of each of the dataset/models used by international, regional and national institutions (datasets/models include CMIP5, WRF, HiRAM, CORDEX, Arab Domain, etc.)
- Identify gaps and constraints related to the assessment of climate change impacts on Lebanon and recommend ways forward to improve future analysis of climate risks.
- Prepare a summary on the climate change risks for Lebanon to be shared with policy-makers
Task 2: Review and complete the section on vulnerability and impact assessment on priority sectors
- Review the compiled and summarized information related to the expected impacts of climate change on selected vulnerable sectors (water, agriculture, forest and biodiversity, public health, etc.) and validate assessment with relevant stakeholders.
- Complete the section with any missing reference, information and related national/regional studies on climate change impacts on priority sectors in Lebanon.
- Identify gaps and constraints related to the vulnerability and impact assessment of climate change in Lebanon and recommend ways forward to improve such assessments.
Task 3: Update the section on recommendations for sectoral adaptation actions in Lebanon
- Review the compiled and summarized information related to the recommended adaptation actions related to each of the priority sectors and validate with relevant stakeholders.
- Complete the section with any missing reference or information related to efficient adaptation action in Lebanon.
- Identify gaps and constraints and recommend ways forward to improve the planning and implementation of adaptation actions in Lebanon
- Expected Outputs and Deliverables :
The tasks should be completed by combining findings from background desk review and direct consultations and validation with key stakeholders from ministries, international organizations, active NGOs and others. Regular meetings with the UNDP BUR3/4NC Project Manager are required. The work is expected to be carried out remotely - Home based by one internationally recruited consultant with expertise in climate change modeling and risk assessment.
For additional information, please refer to ANNEX I – Terms of Reference
- Proficiency in English;
Required Skills and Experience
I. Academic Qualifications:
- Master’s degree in environmental science, environmental studies, agriculture engineering or closely related fields. PhD will be considered as an asset.
II. Years of experience:
- Minimum 10 years of relevant professional experience.
III. Technical experience:
- Proven experience in preparation of similar studies, reviews, and sectoral recommendations regarding climate change impact and vulnerability assessment in the region.
The application must include all of the following Mandatory documents:
- Technical Proposal****,
- Annex 3 (Offerors Letter) and
- Financial proposal
Incomplete applications i.e. No Technical or Financial proposal submitted will not be considered.