Socio-Economic Impact Assessment Specialist
Application deadline 1 year ago: Thursday 10 Dec 2020 at 23:59 UTCOpen application form
This is a UNV National Specialist contract. This kind of contract is known as National UN Volunteer. It is normally only for nationals. More about UNV National Specialist contracts.
Minimum age: 22 years old. Applicants must be nationals of or legal residents in the country of assignment.
Description of task
Under the direct supervision of the Programme Specialist /Head of Programmes and when conducting data collection by the National Consultant of the Tourism SEIA, the UN Volunteer/s will undertake the following tasks:
- Set assessment objectives and strategy;
- Provide guidance on baseline information and data sources of information;
- Secondary data review including the use of innovative data sources/information (e.g. big data, satellite imagery, etc.)
- Support survey design and guidance on how the surveys can be run in country.
- Define sampling frames and provide sampling options;
- Provide overall questionnaire administrative support
- As required, liaise with relevant partners in relation to operational and methodological issues;
- Perform other duties if required.
Required degree level:
Bachelor degree or equivalent
Education - Additional Comments:
Advanced university degree (B.A. required, master’s degree or equivalent preferred) in any of the followings: international development, economics, sociology, environmental related fields, information technology or statistics
The NUNVs must have
- A good understanding of nature, environmental and tourism stakeholders in Namibia
- Abilities to conduct online surveys (using mobile phone or emails);
- Experience in primary and secondary data collection;
- Experience in data collection in election, crisis or emergency contexts;
- Experience in socio-economic or environmental related research undertakings including data analysis, and use of any online technologies
- Experiences in carrying out tasks within given time
- Attention to details
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Ability to communicate purpose and objective with nature, environmental, hospitality and other service industry partners and stakeholders
- Ability to capture discussions, including for qualitative data collections, such as Key Informants or Focus Group Discussions
- They must be readily available to commence with work in October, and committed to the tasks till completion, and for data corrections
- If needs be, must be available to travel on short notice for questionnaire administration
- Fluency in written and spoken English is required; Knowledge of other local languages is an advantage.
- English(Mandatory), Level - Fluent
Area of expertise:
Monitoring and evaluation, Sustainable natural resources management and climate change adaptation, Tourism sector development and promotion
Accountability, Adaptability and Flexibility, Client Orientation, Commitment and Motivation, Communication, Ethics and Values, Integrity, Judgement and Decision-making, Knowledge Sharing, Managing Performance, Planning and Organizing, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity, Self-Management, Technological Awareness, Working in Teams
* Not yet registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
First register your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/signup.
Important: After creating your account, complete all sections of your profile and submit it. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink. Lastly, select the special call to which you would like to apply.
* Already registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
First update your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/profile.
Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink to select the special call to which you would like to apply.
This is a national UN Volunteer assignment, therefore only nationals of Namibia and legal residents in Namibia with a residency permit, the status of refugee or with the status of being stateless are eligible to apply.
Application deadline: 10 December 2020