Security Specialist East
Application deadline 3 days ago: Friday 3 Feb 2023 at 22:59 UTCOpen application form
The cooperation between the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) and the Government of Ukraine has been designed to reinforce national capacities and to contribute to a broader development of agriculture, sustainable management of forests and fisheries, and animal and plant disease control. FAO is providing technical support for climate change adaptation, as well as working with civil society to mitigate soil erosion and degradation. FAO is also contributing to building resilience and boosting development in conflict-affected regions by supporting the economic recovery of farmers and rural communities. FAO’s presence in Ukraine has upscaled and is distributed by offices in Kyiv, Lviv and Dnipro under the overall responsibility of the Head of the FAO Office/Designated Responsible Officer in Ukraine. The recent and large-scale escalation in hostilities in Ukraine is exacerbating the already dire food security situation of the most vulnerable rural households and small farmers. In response to the evolving situation, FAO Ukraine is scaling up its emergency humanitarian and resilience programming in conflict affected areas of Ukraine including previous programming areas of Donetsk, Luhansk, Zaporizhia and Kherson; and Lviv and Zakarpattia in the West; as well as newly affected areas. In order the address to rapidly deteriorating situation, FAO has established a Rapid Response Plan (RRP) that is in line with the UN Flash Appeal and intended to provide life and livelihood saving interventions for the most vulnerable smallholder farming households impacted by the conflict.
The incumbent reports to the Head of Field Office (Dnipro) and the National Security Specialist.
• Security Services, including monitoring of (UNSMS) policies and procedures on Safety and Security and compliance with SRM/SRMM and RSM in Area of Responsibility, provided; • Participation to Area security cell and A/SMT meetings ensured; • Protection of FAO Dnipro office personnel, assets and facilities ensured at all times; • Support in the deployment and utilization of operational emergency security systems ensured.
Tasks and responsibilities
Under the overall supervision of the FAO DRO/Head of Office in Ukraine, direct supervision of the Head of Field Office – Dnipro and technical supervision of the National Security Specialist, the incumbent will enable FAO programmes and projects by contributing to the safety and security of all FAO personnel and assets in the east of Ukraine covered by the Dnipro Office. More specifically, the incumbent will:
• Apply and monitor the implementation of established Organization and applicable United Nations Security Management System (UNSMS) policies and procedures on Safety and Security Management; • Ensure FAO compliance with the UN System-wide Security Risk Management Measures (SRM/SRMM) and the Residential Security Measures (RSM); • Maintain close security coordination with UNDSS in Dnipro, security focal points of other agencies and humanitarian partners, and ensure appropriate professional liaison of security matters with local authorities responsible for security; • Participate at the Area Security cell Meeting and the Area Security Management Team meetings, as required; • Ensure protection of FAO Dnipro Office personnel, assets and facilities in accordance with provisions of the UN Security Management System by: strengthening the security arrangements at FAO facilities in through appropriate security and contingency planning and, in close cooperation with UN Department of Safety and Security (UNDSS) and FAO National Security Specialist, coordinating 24/7 response to all security-related incidents involving FAO Dnipro office personnel and assets; • Provide all FAO personnel, particularly visiting missions to the east of Ukraine, with security briefings, arrangements for security clearance, situation reports and other appropriate security-related information and training; • Ensure the implementation and FAO Dnipro office personnel’s participation in FAO Security Notification System; • Undertake missions to the program sites and assess prevailing local security conditions in the area of responsibility, identifying security trends and advise FAO Dnipro office personnel, project personnel and eligible family members on potential security issues; • Plan and coordinate the mandatory safety drills in FAO premises at the duty station; • Support the deployment and utilization of operational emergency communications systems, including its installation, operation and maintenance in FAO Dnipro office. • Support the NSS in developing and implementation of the country contingency planning • Support the NSS and other units in preparation of the business continuity planning • Directly supervise FAO Dnipro office security equipment, including inventory, extended training and performance of security contractors, guards and security escorts personnel, if applicable • Backstop National Security Specialist if/when requested. • Perform any other related duties as required.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• Bachelor or Master Degree in Law, Law Enforcements, or any related field • At least 5 years of police or military service, experience in UN/NGO as a security is desirable, but not a priority • Working knowledge (Level C) of English • Knowledge of the MS Office applications, Internet and office technology equipment • National of Ukraine
FAO Core Competencies
• Results Focus • Teamwork • Communication • Building Effective Relationships • Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- FAO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing)
- Incomplete applications will not be considered. If you need help please contact: [email protected]
- Applications received after the closing date will not be accepted
- Please note that FAO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU) / United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed at http://www.whed.net/
- For additional employment opportunities visit the FAO employment website: http://www.fao.org/employment/home/en/
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.