Security Sector Reform (SSR) Officer
Application deadline 1 year ago: Tuesday 18 May 2021 at 23:59 UTCOpen application form
This is a UNV International Specialist contract. This kind of contract is known as International UN Volunteer. It is normally internationally recruited only. More about UNV International Specialist contracts.
Minimum age: 25 years old. Nationals of the country of assignment are not eligible, except the assignments in Headquarters duty stations.
Description of task
Under the direct supervision of SSR-DDR team leader, the UN Volunteer will undertake the following tasks:
- Provide substantive inputs on project planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of SSR programs and projects.
- Coordinate conduct of training workshops, seminars and outreach activities including presenting assigned SSR topics/activities.
- Liaise and coordinate with other mission components to undertake SSR related activities.
- Establish and maintain working relationships with the representatives of civil society, local NGOs and national counterparts/ local government to organize meetings on SSR issues.
- Support and follow up on the issues related to Mechanisme Operationnel de Coordination (MOC) with mixed patrols/battalion Menaka.
- Support DDR and Integration process of MOC elements in Menaka and/or at the cantonment sites in Menaka and Menaka regions in coordination with the representatives of MINUSMA substantive/support sections, Force, UNPOL, National DDR Commission, Integration Commission and MOC Coordinators.
- In coordination with mission components and MOC, undertake assessment of logistics and administrative requirements and ensure provision of timely support for Cantonment, DDR and Integration process.
- Assist in preparing regular reports, updates and analysis on DDR and SSR issues.
- Support and participate in the organization of capacity building programs and production of communication materials to enhance the knowledge of communities, armed movements, youths at risk on the progress of SSR and DDR processes.
- Undertake other tasks as assigned.
Required degree level:
Master degree or equivalent
Education - Additional Comments:
Business administration, security sector governance, management and/or administration, international relations/affairs or other related field.
- A minimum of five years of progressively responsible experience in the area of SSR, Finance and Audit, is required.
- A minimum of five years’ experience of military and military inspection or audit is required
- Previous experience in the development and implementation of SSR programmes/projects in post-conflict contexts is also required.
- Previous experience in the development and implementation of Audit or Inspection programmes/projects is required
- Previous experience supporting senior coordination meetings is required.
- Basic knowledge of relevant UN institutions, mandates, policies and guidelines is required.
- Previous experience in UN peacekeeping missions is highly desirable.
- Previous experience in Mali context and culture is highly desirable.
- English(Mandatory), Level - Fluent
- French(Mandatory), Level - Fluent
Area of expertise:
Disarmament, demobilization and reintegration (DDR), arms control, armed forces, Other business related experience
Area of expertise details:
Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) and proficiency in word processing.
Adaptability and Flexibility, Commitment and Motivation, Communication, Ethics and Values, Integrity, Planning and Organizing, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity, Working in Teams
* Not yet registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first register your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/signup. Important: After creating your account, complete all sections of your profile and submit it. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink. Lastly, select the special call to which you would like to apply.
* Already registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Application deadline: 18-05-2021