Registered Psychiatric Nurse
Founded in 1933, the International Rescue Committee is a world leader in relief, rehabilitation and post-conflict development services for those uprooted or affected by violent conflict and oppression. The IRC is currently working in over 25 countries around the world, addressing both the immediate and lifesaving needs of conflict affected people in emergencies and the reconstruction needs of post-conflict societies.
The IRC has been working in Uganda since 1998 supporting IDPs, refugees and local communities. IRC Uganda has it country office in Kampala and regional offices in Kit gum Moroto, and Yumbe. The current program portfolio includes health, protection and rule of law, women’s protection and empowerment, and economic recovery and development programming
SCOPE OF WORK:
Under supervision of psychiatric clinical officer, the Psychiatric nurse will provide professional nursing care to emotionally disturbed and/or mentally ill patients for Behavioral Health and Recovery Services; to work with clinical and case management staff to coordinate care and assist in treatment plans for clients; and to perform related work.
- Conducts intake assessments through interviews with patients and relatives to gather case history.
- Plans and provides nursing care for patients. - Makes nursing diagnosis of the medical and emotional status of patients and recommend treatment options. - Consults with psychiatrists and other behavioral health staff in designing appropriate treatment plans for clients. - Administers and notes reactions to psychotropic drugs and other medications. - Arranges further medical attention when necessary. - Assists the client in understanding the nature of emotional disturbances and accepting the need for treatment - Assists in maintaining a safe and secure environment for staff and patients. - Test for vital signs of pain and ensures treatments of pain. - Documents all patient information on medical charts and follows physician’s written orders - Maintains patient confidentiality. - Maintains accurate records and documentation of patient treatments, immunizations and laboratory results according to standard medical recordkeeping. - Performs administrative assignments such as filing, answering phones, typing, and completing progress notes in the filing system. - Provides courteous, high quality service to patients and members of the public by personal responding to requests for service or making appropriate referral
- Provide regular feedback to the Psychiatric Clinical Officer on mental health activity implementation at the Health facility;
- Assist in preparation of reports; - Participate in the development and implementation of program work plans.
Key working relationships:
Direct supervisor: Psychiatric Clinical Officer.
Technical support: Psychiatric Clinical Officer, Health facility In-charge
Other: Logistics, finance, admin staff.
**G****ovt. of Uganda: District Health Team and other district officials
Other: NGOs, INGOs and UN agencies working in the project region
Standards For Professional Conduct:
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way - Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
Deadline for receiving applications is June 16th,2022.
Please note that applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
- Must have a diploma in Psychiatric nursing from a recognized institution - Must be registered with the relevant professional council.
- At least three years working experience in Primary Health Care settings: - Experience in planning, organizing and coordinating Psychiatric health activities; - Experience in Information management
Skills and Abilities
- Having concern for quality and standards, and ethics and integrity; - Good communication skills; - Ability to enhance good interpersonal relationship; - Good report writing skills; - Good knowledge and application of Microsoft word, Excel and Power Point. - Language Skills