Regional Support Director Latin America
Application deadline 3 days ago: Friday 1 Dec 2023 at 23:59 UTCOpen application form
This is a Professional contract, Grade 12 (NRC) contract. More about Professional contract, Grade 12 (NRC) contracts.
All NRC employees are expected to work in accordance with the organization’s core values: dedication, innovation, inclusivity, and accountability. These attitudes and beliefs shall guide our actions and relationships.
What we are looking for
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is looking for an experienced, dynamic, and highly strategical individual to take up the role of Regional Support Director for Latin America who will assume overall accountability responsibility for strategic development and capacity of Administration, Finance, HR, Logistics, and ICT functions in the region promoting learning and cost-conscious culture. The Regional Support Director has the responsibility to ensure a holistic approach to the operations, integrated with the programme support provided by the Regional Programme Director.
What you will do
- Compliance and adherence to NRC policies, guidance and procedures.
- Manage performance and staff development of the Regional Support Department.
- Ensure strategic programme development in the region in line with the 2022-2025 NRC global and regional strategies.
- Ensure development and implementation of adequate control mechanisms of NRC operations in the region.
- Provide guidance and ensure support and capacity building related to the support functions in the region.
- Liaise with Country Directors and Country Offices’ Heads of Support to explore and create synergies and ensure effective and constructive communication between related functions and Country Offices.
Please download the detailed job description to learn more about the position.
What you will bring
- Minimum 7 years of relevant leadership/management experience within the humanitarian field
- Background in a relevant professional discipline combined with broad experience of operational management.
- Knowledge of the support functions; Finance, HR, Logistics and Administration
- Experience of effective change management
- Experience from working in complex and volatile contexts.
- Documented/proven results related to the position’s responsibilities.
- Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile.
- Excellent communication skills and fluency in English and Spanish, both written and verbal
- Knowledge of the context in Latin America region
- Experience with start-up, exit and emergency response.
- Understanding of matrix structures
- Professional credibility to provide strategic leadership across a multi-disciplinary team and to provide strategic guidance to senior managers in country operations.
What we offer
- Duty station: Bogotá, Colombia
- Contract: national or international, 2 years
- Travel: up to 30%
- Salary/benefits: grade 12 on NRC’s regional salary scale, with accompanying terms and conditions for international contracts
- NRC is an equal opportunities employer. We are committed to diversity without distinction to age, gender, religion, ethnicity, nationality, and physical ability.
- We think outside the box, encourage ideas, and give responsibility to all employees at all levels. You will have many opportunities to be heard and take the initiative.
Important information about the application process
- Internal candidates only: please click on the suitcase icon labelled “I am an employee” to be redirected to NRC’s internal careers site.
- When creating your profile, include your full name as given on your passport. Complete all the system-required fields for experience, employment history and education.
- Submit your application and CV in English, taking care to attach your latest CV.
- Applications that do not meet the minimum standards in terms of experience or qualifications will generally not be considered. Unsolicited applications not related to this specific job advertisement will not be considered.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. We receive many applicants for each vacant position.
- For any queries, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with the position title as the subject line.
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is an independent humanitarian organization helping people forced to flee. Our 15,000 staff work in crises across 40 countries, providing life-saving and long-term assistance to millions of people every year.
Watch this short video to see NRC in action.
NRC’s Latin America region covers a total of eight countries: Venezuela, Colombia, Ecuador, Panamá, Honduras, El Salvador, Guatemala and México. The region has an overall budget of approximately 60 million USD and 1,100 dedicated colleagues across the continent.
The region faces multiple complex emergencies, including the internal and regional impact of the crisis in Venezuela, the humanitarian consequences of the armed conflict in Colombia, and the pervasive high levels of generalised violence in the North of Central America and in Mexico. These conditions produce some of the highest forced displacement numbers in the world. According to UNHCR, there are over 15 million displacement-affected people, including 7,4 million Internally Displaced Persons across NRC’s programmes in the region. The region also witnesses record numbers of transcontinental population movements generating significant protection risks as people are obliged to cross borders often through routes where conditions are dramatic. Restrictive asylum and migration policies also create flows of deportees and returnees, who struggle to re-integrate into their communities and often face violence, retaliation, discrimination and exclusion. Those phenomena are accelerating across the region.
Given the increasing number of displaced people in need of humanitarian assistance in the region, NRC will establish a Regional Office in Bogota, Colombia from early 2024. This will ensure a centralized structure in proximity to the country operations and provide strategic guidance and oversight, coordinated support and management.
The Regional Support department, led by the Regional Support Director (RSD), provides expert advice, reinforces tools and systems usage and development, and monitors compliance of support functions at the country level – including Administration, Finance, HR, ICT, and Logistics. The RSD works collaboratively and in a matrix structure with the Regional Programme, Advocacy, Risk Management and Compliance, and Security teams, as well as the Organizational Development department in Head Office, and not least with Heads of Support in Country Offices.
We are looking for people who are passionate about helping refugees and people forced to flee. Are you one of those people? If you are, NRC offers you the opportunity to:
- do demanding and professional work, often in challenging contexts.
- join a work culture that empowers every employee to share ideas and take responsibility.
- be part of a welcoming and supportive community committed to human dignity.