REGIONAL SUB-PROGRAMME COORDINATOR - CLIMATE ACTION
Application deadline 2 months ago: Saturday 9 Dec 2023 at 03:59 UTCOpen application form
This is a Consultancy contract. More about Consultancy contracts.
Result of Service
The ultimate result of a service dedicated to UNEP (United Nations Environment Programme) climate action would ideally be a significant and positive impact on global efforts to address climate change.
Duties and Responsibilities
The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment. UNEP's mandate is to coordinate the development of environmental policy consensus by keeping the global environment under review and bringing emerging issues to the attention of governments and the international community for action.
Headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya, UNEP has a network of country, liaison, sub-regional and regional offices facilitating the relevant country, sub-regional and regional processes, and coordinating the coherent delivery of UNEP's programme targeting the causes of climate change, nature and biodiversity loss, and pollution and waste through seven interlinked subprogrammes for action. These are: Climate Action, Chemicals and Pollution Action, Nature Action, Science-Policy, Environmental Governance, Finance and Economic Transformations, and Digital Transformations.
UNEP Regional Office for Africa (ROA) supports environmental governance institutions and processes and engages a broad range of partners that include governmental, nongovernmental, academic, and private sector entities on multilateral environmental agreements and sustainability programmes and projects in response to national, sub regional and regional needs and priorities. UNEP's support to countries, sub-regions and Africa is guided by reforms of the UN Development System including the UN Resident Coordinator and UN Country Team systems. This position is in UNEP-ROA at the Nairobi duty station. Under the direct supervision of the Director and Regional Representative, ROA, the incumbent will carry out the following:
1) Support UNEP Programme of Work development for the region: a) Provide advice development of UNEP's regional and national activities and projects, ensuring that regional needs and perspectives are matched with UNEP's obligations under its Programme of work. b) Undertake regional climate change needs assessments and analysis to help guide the development of UNEP's activities and projects. c) Review all climate change projects with regional and national components submitted to the Project Approval Group (PAG) or the Project Review Group (PRC); d) Review projects developed for other thematic areas, including cross-cutting projects. e) Develop project proposals to help implement the UNEP Programme Work and its outputs and to meet regional needs.
2) Support the implementation of the UNEP Programme of Work in the region: a) Ensure coordinated implementation of climate change activities and initiatives from the UNEP Programme of Work in the region. b) Work with each of the UNEP Divisions/Regional Office team to develop a coherent Programme of climate change activities for the region. c) Provide support to the Divisions in the implementation of climate change activities and projects.
3) Help develop and maintain partnerships and coordinated working relationships with key regional organizations and other UN agencies: a) Assist in developing the work agreements with key regional partners to support the implementation of the UNEP Programme of Work. b) Identify technical centers in the region through which UNEP can implement its activities and develop the agreements needed to facilitate such cooperation. c) Working with other international and regional institutions, ensure Climate change negotiators and stakeholders charged with implementing climate-related multilateral environmental agreements are equipped with scientific information to their negotiations.
4) Support to facilitate information flow and communications within the Regional Office and between the Regional Office and other UNEP Divisions: a) Act as UNEP climate change focal point in the Regional Office, the Divisions and the Climate Coordinator. b) Keep abreast of climate change activities and initiatives within the region and circulate regional information to UNEP Divisions/Regional Office. c) Support the development and maintenance of the UNEP climate change website and the climate change intranet with key documents needed by UNEP staff for coherent implementation of their activities. d) Facilitate the development of special outreach materials and presentations. e) Participate in meetings. 5) Leads team members efforts to collect and analyze data and provides insight to identify trends or patterns for data-driven planning, decision-making, presentation and reporting. Ensures that everyone can discover, access, integrate and share the data they need.
6) Perform other duties assigned.
Advanced university degree (Master's degree or equivalent) in environment, climate change and/or development or related area is required. A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree. A minimum of seven years of progressively responsible experience in environment, climate change or related area is required. Experience in United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) including negotiation processes is required Experience in programme and project management preferably in the field of environment and climate change such as adaptation and mitigation is desirable. Experience in UN programming processes at the country and regional level is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in English is required. Working knowledge of French is desirable.
THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS’ BANK ACCOUNTS.