Real Sector Statistics Advisor (Long Term Expert) - AFRITAC Central
Application deadline in 18 days: Tuesday 14 Feb 2023 at 23:59 UTCOpen application form
Work for the IMF. Work for the World.
The Statistics Department (STA) of the IMF, and the IMF’s Africa Regional Technical Assistance Center Central (AFC), have an opening for a Real Sector Statistics Advisor (RSSA) based in Libreville, Gabon. The RSSA will oversee and undertake capacity development support in real sector statistics in the nine countries and regional agencies covered by AFC: Burundi, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Chad, Democratic Republic of Congo, Equatorial Guinea, Gabon, Republic of Congo, and São Tomé and Príncipe, as well as regional bodies (e.g., Central African Economic and Monetary Community (CEMAC)). The RSSA’s initial appointment would be for a period of one year with the possibility for extension up to three years, contingent on performance, ongoing budget/business need and management approval.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The successful candidate is required to:
- Develop an annual work program and manage support on statistical capacity development (CD) in national accounts, price indices and other real sector statistics;
- Coordinate CD activities with the relevant IMF Departments and, where appropriate, with other international institutions and bilateral agencies involved in providing technical assistance and training in real sector statistics;
- Conduct country technical assistance missions and provide regional training primarily in national accounts and price statistics but also in other areas of real sector statistics as needed;
- Manage and backstop missions by short-term experts;
- Apply IMF standards and policies (and STA’s guidelines) in documenting CD activities; Monitor the implementation and evaluation of CD activities in the IMF CDMAP IT portal. and
- Contribute to reports prepared for the AFC Steering Committee, as well as to other outreach activities that promote AFC and STA’s CD program.
The RSSA will work under the general direction of the AFC Director and the technical direction of STA at IMF headquarters. He/she should expect to travel within the region and to interact frequently with country authorities, including remotely.
The successful candidate would have:
- Expert knowledge in national accounts statistics. Experience in at least one of the following macroeconomic statistics frameworks: balance of payments/international investment position statistics, government finance statistics, or monetary and finance statistics is considered an asset.
- Proven expertise in national accounts methodology and compilation, demonstrated by at least ten years professional experience.
- An advanced degree (Masters’ or PhD) in economics, statistics, or related field.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in French and English.
- Strong relationship management, negotiating and influencing skills, as developing relations with national authorities are critical for the position.
- An ability to organize and coordinate capacity development support (both technical assistance and training) with the relevant IMF Departments, short-term experts, and with other international institutions and bilateral agencies is also essential.
- Strong drive for results with the ability to work on various projects under tight deadlines.
Female candidates and nationals of the IMF's underrepresented regions (Sub-Saharan Africa, East Asia and Middle East and North Africa) are encouraged to apply.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
STARE Statistics Department Real SectorHiring For:
A12, A13, A14The IMF is committed to achieving a diverse staff, including age, creed, culture, disability, educational background, ethnicity, gender, gender expression, nationality, race, religion and beliefs, and sexual orientation.